7 Year Old's First Game - Preseason? WTF?

Bakin

I debated this for a long time.  

Do I make my son's first trip to the Ralph a PRESEASON GAME? 

Or do I take him when the place is going to be electric?  Season Opener, Week 4 vs Pats?

My kid is 7, almost 8, and he doesn't REALLY care about the Bills or football like I do...

And since it's my first time as a season ticket holder, and these tickets are NOT selling, so I figured we would head down there and enjoy Kids day.

He should get some special treatment in an easy atmosphere. 

My older son's first game was when he was 6...(Season Opener, vs Dolphins, 2010) with a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game.  
Not very fun....plus we sucked so bad.  

6 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Or do I take him when the place is going to be electric?  Season Opener, Week 4 vs Pats?

My kid is 7, almost 8, and he doesn't REALLY care about the Bills or football like I do...

And since it's my first time as a season ticket holder, and these tickets are NOT selling, so I figured we would head down there and enjoy Kids day.

My older son's first game was when he was 6...(Season Opener, vs Dolphins, 2010) with a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game.  

Has he done this type of thing before?  

Take him to a preseason game and see how well he "sits still".  I mean do you really want to leave at halftime of a game that counts?

If he does well the next step is a real game 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 12

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

I've debated this myself. Have a 5  year old too. Gotta drive 5 hours to Buffalo as well. 

The true Bills experience is a regular season game. 

Yup...We are driving 5 hours tomorrow...

Will make a day of it - golf 9 holes at the halfway point...anchor bar...and then game time...

Should be good for the kid..

• Like (+1) 1

what time should we show up to allow for enough time to go to the Field House, etc?
We aren't tail gating...

Any recommendations on where to park if we are in 109?  I know it's Gate 6 or 7, just not sure where that is...

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Has he done this type of thing before?  

Take him to a preseason game and see how well he "sits still".  I mean do you really want to leave at halftime of a game that counts?

If he does well the next step is a real game 

I second this. I’d give it a test run. And a big game might be TOO much for the first time around.

• Like (+1) 1

Preseason is nice cause crowds are less intense and its a good toe dipper experience... IMO

Plus he is going to be more distracted with everything going on around him for his 1st experience.... where you are going to be dialed in hard at a regular season game. A preseason game gives you more focus time on your son. You can walk around check out the concessions souvenirs and the stadium from different areas and not need to stay in your seat to watch the entire game as intensely as you would a regular season match up

• Like (+1) 2

As a season ticket holding father  of 7 and soon to be 3 year old children - take them to a preseason game.  They're really only going to care about the pre-game activities, the field house and eating.  Once the game starts, their day is largely over.  Leave at halftime if they're ready, and don't give a second thought about it.  

• Like (+1) 4

The biggest issue with the little guys is getting them somewhere they can see the field.  Most everyone stands in the lower sections when a good play is happening on offense, and if you're 4 feet tall you miss every good play.   It can be frustrating.

Get ready to lift him up quickly on the big plays, and just stand him on his seat when everyone else is standing.

Any game will be cool for him.  Kids preseason game being the ideal first choice

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The biggest issue with the little guys is getting them somewhere they can see the field.  Most everyone stands in the lower sections when a good play is happening on offense, and if you're 4 feet tall you miss every good play.   It can be frustrating.

Get ready to lift him up quickly on the big plays, and just stand him on his seat when everyone else is standing.

Any game will be cool for him.  Kids preseason game being the ideal first choice

When I bought my seasons I had a shot at getting first row upper deck but I opted instead for lower bowl. 

Will see if it was a good choice!

44 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Preseason.     It's fun, nobody cares about the game and he can run around without being trampled by drunks...