Sign in to follow this  
DaBillsFanSince1973

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane says team was willing to accept risk of free agents’ injury history

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

ROFL.  Not even close to true.  Dareus is a lazy tub of lard who will play well below his potential for what remains of his career.

Dareus is no where near the force he was back in 2014 here. I agree he is playing well below his potential.... and he's still better than Star. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dareus is no where near the force he was back in 2014 here. I agree he is playing well below his potential.... and he's still better than Star. 

I'm starting to think Lotulelei took the last glazed donut at the meeting you attended the other day or something. Your dislike of him is borderline pathological.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll give you this, Star does need to step it up this year.  He has to do more than just eat space and occupy blockers.  Supposedly that is why he was brought to Buffalo, and if so, he did his job in a terrible defensive line scheme.  I'm not sure if this was a bad defensive scheme or that Star can't get into the opponent's backfield; I'd like to think it is the former.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

I think by any calculation Star was an overpay and a bad signing. Yes he eats double teams but he does little else and only plays like 40% of the snaps. McD overpaid for culture though and I'm more ok with that than whatever Whaley was doing with Dareus who ate away at the team culture from the inside. 

I agree that the majority of free agent moves in year one and two of the McBeane era have been very underwhelming. This group has a lot to prove and these injuries aren't helping. Hopefully Morse is able to get back in the saddle and our WRs can help Josh take a step forward. I'm cautiously optimistic.   

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'll give you this, Star does need to step it up this year.  He has to do more than just eat space and occupy blockers.  Supposedly that is why he was brought to Buffalo, and if so, he did his job in a terrible defensive line scheme.  I'm not sure if this was a bad defensive scheme or that Star can't get into the opponent's backfield; I'd like to think it is the former.

Well those certainly are words.

10 hours ago, ddaryl said:

If you want to make an omelet ya got to break a few eggs... Got to take some chances. Morse was/still is a chance

Morse worries the hell out of me. Not because we paid and he might not play, but because he probably will play and I fear the next hit will bring all kinds of bad things along with it. including lots of negative press and constantly watching Morse to see how he recovers and IF he recovers fully.....  I'm more worried about him as a human right now then a football player. To get a concussion so easily in training camp is concerning. Knowing that he is going to go back out there is actually the part that worries me the most now. I'm afraid for him.

You can't win a marathon without putting some bandaids on your nipples.... am I right?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So you'd rather sign a player with injury history than over pay for one without that? 

Like the disclaimer in every law firm ad: past success (or failure, in this case) does not guarantee future results. 

NFL players are susceptible to injury. Some more than others, it seems. But guys get hurt. What if you over pay for a guy with no history who then suffers a bad injury? I guess the GM avoids blame, but who cares about blame? The end result is the same. Bad contracts are bad. Injuries are bad. Some decisions don't work out. 

Having said that, your question is an interesting one, worthy of discussion.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn't ask you anything.

Agreed.  However, in a message board forum such as available here, we all get to chime in to evaluate your ‘wisdom’.

9 hours ago, VW82 said:

I think by any calculation Star was an overpay and a bad signing. Yes he eats double teams but he does little else and only plays like 40% of the snaps. McD overpaid for culture though and I'm more ok with that than whatever Whaley was doing with Dareus who ate away at the team culture from the inside. 

I agree that the majority of free agent moves in year one and two of the McBeane era have been very underwhelming. This group has a lot to prove and these injuries aren't helping. Hopefully Morse is able to get back in the saddle and our WRs can help Josh take a step forward. I'm cautiously optimistic.   

Yea.... but this doesn't follow the theme from many that Beane is the next great GM.

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea.... but this doesn't follow the theme from many that Beane is the next great GM.

He will be judged by his drafts and general salary cap management.  Fans and the media get suppppper hyped for FA, but no matter the team, no matter the players, it never makes that much of a difference. If he hits on his draft picks (and so far the outlook is promising), he will certainly be the "next great GM." 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He will be judged by his drafts and general salary cap management.  Fans and the media get suppppper hyped for FA, but no matter the team, no matter the players, it never makes that much of a difference. If he hits on his draft picks (and so far the outlook is promising), he will certainly be the "next great GM." 

He's judged by everything.

You don't think FA and trades play a part in building a team? Take the Rams. After hiring McVay they added some significant pieces via FA and trade to bolster their team and became one of the better teams in the league. 

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 1

Has any NFL pro ever gone without an injury in their career?    mole hill meet mountain 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He's judged by everything.

You don't think FA and trades play a part in building a team? Take the Rams. After hiring McVay they added some significant pieces via FA and trade to bolster their team and became one of the better teams in the league. 

The Rams are a product of Jared Goff, Gurley, and McVay.  The Free Agents are nice pieces, true, but they are not the difference between them being the average team they were before McVay and the superbowl contender they are now. They hype around the Rams is not their general managing. It is their coaching. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Assuming JA progresses this year, the Bills are set up for future success under Beane. TY, Ford, Morse, Spain and Dawkins is a vast improvement in the OL. Going into the 2020 season barring any major setbacks the Bills will look to add a DE, OLB, WR as core needs with TE and C as possible needs. The pieces of the puzzle are coming together but a lot will hinge on JA. 

Lets go Buffalo!

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

You have this uncanny ability to suck the optimism out of any thread... like some positive energy vampire

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Overall I've liked the job McD and Beane have done, but they have made some questionable moves as well.  A few of us brought up the combination of Morse's concussion history, past performance and contract when he was signed.   He's an above average C, but he's not elite and he had those injury/concussion issues.  We made him the highest paid C in the league.  That wasn't a small risk.

Again, I've liked the overall job they've done.  I understand that they cleared a ton of cap and that overpaying a few needed players to speed up rebuilding can be part of a turn around.  Fine.  But I don't like that the positions they went after with those over the top contracts were C, NT and TE.  And I don't l like that one of those players (the most important one) had substantial concussion issues.  That can't continue.

Edited by BarleyNY

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Overall I've liked the job McD and Beane have done, but they have made some questionable moves as well.  A few of us brought up the combination of Morse's concussion history, past performance and contract when he was signed.   He's an above average C, but he's not elite and he had those injury/concussion issues.  We made him the highest paid C in the league.  That wasn't a small risk.

Again, I've liked the overall job they've done.  I understand that they cleared a ton of cap and that overpaying a few needed players to speed up rebuilding can be part of a turn around.  Fine.  But I don't like that the positions they went after with those over the top contracts were C, NT and TE.  And I don't l like that one of those players (the most important one) had substantial concussion issues.  That can't continue.

My opinion is that Morse is better then a above average center

top 10 at least

...........when healthy

27 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You have this uncanny ability to suck the optimism out of any thread... like some positive energy vampire

I am sure this is completely unintentional

• Like (+1) 1

IMHO Beane is the best GM we have had in a long time.

He signed one of the two best centers available, could have been in on Paradis also for all we know. Weighed the risk, did due diligence  and set up the contract so there is an out after next year. He could have followed the Jets and waited until camp to realize he had no center and had to beg someone out of retirement who may be washed up. Yet he signed backups who are better than our starters last year across the line.

Morse's value even if he plays half the games is a huge upgrade and will also be seen in the OL room, and in Allen's ear coming from a great program and helping another young QB get on track. I would take that gamble any day.

I was a Dareus fan in his early years here, not any more. After his contract he was lazy and didn't care, anyone remember Drayton Florence trying to light a fire under him early on in his career, that didn't work. Give me Loutelili with consistent effort, than flash on one play and give no effort for two. FYI his new team had a worse record than us, and is -$26 million over the cap next year, great for them. I wouldn't want him any closer than 1,000 miles to Ed Oliver and the rest of the team with his work ethic and man child attitude rubbing off.

I'd also rather have a GM who at least takes swings than plays scared.

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is 100% Jerry Sullivan's crusade. He was sooooo bummed out that nothing was going wrong at Bills camp until Morse got injured. He would even beat up his reporter guests like Matt Parrino for not calling Beane out for "desperately" (Jerry's word) overpaying players who were obviously not worth signing.  

I know I was pumping up Jerry's radio show but this is where he starts to suck. He conjures up a scenario where Beane and McDermott are desperate to make the playoffs so they sign players with injury histories. That is about as cynical take as you can make. No proof mind you. Just painting things in the worst light imaginable.

Are you saying Sullivan used voodoo to give Morse another concussion????? 

Beane spent a wad of cash on a talented FA Center who had a well-publicized history of concussions (3 in the last 5 years) and that center suffered another one during the first practice in pads.   Why shouldn't Beane be questioned about that?  Why shouldn't he be held accountable for his gambles that backfire?

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Hyde and Poyer were signed before Beane was hired. Whaley's staff did research and Coach McD did the picks.

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/2017.shtml

blueball.gif DB Micah Hyde - Signed 3/9/2017 
blueball.gif S Jordan Poyer - Signed 3/9/2017

blueball.gif GM Brandon Beane - Hired 5/9/2017

You obviously didn't get the memo -- Beane was signing FAs while still employed by the Panthers.

Posted (edited)

Again his past history of concussions is a concern, but if you go back and read Morse's interview with WGR he talks about how he got extensive testing done in the offseason and he passed with flying colors.  Given that data do you still not sign him?  Tough question.  One of our favorites here, scott, asks whether you'd rather sign a guy that was injured vs. a guy that was not.  To which the answer is:  duh.  If you have two guys of equal ability, that answer is obvious.  But Morse was considered one of the two top centers available in free agency.  Given his talent level and his off season testing it seems like a reasonable get.  One can only hope he'll be back, and from the activity he showing on the sidelines it would appear he's fairly far along in the protocol; I wonder if he'd be accelerating his time frame if it was the regular season vs. taking his time in pre-season.  We also are ignoring that Beane has brought in two other guys in free agency in Feliciano and Long with experience at the position, and has two guys left over from last year in Bodine and Boettger.  So Beane has hedged his bets with 4 guys as potential backups. 

Has every decision he's made been good?  No.  Will they all be great in the months and years to come?  No.  His performance will be judged on victories, and it might just be advisable to see how the damn team actually does starting next month before losing your minds. 

Edited by oldmanfan

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Are you saying Sullivan used voodoo to give Morse another concussion????? 

Beane spent a wad of cash on a talented FA Center who had a well-publicized history of concussions (3 in the last 5 years) and that center suffered another one during the first practice in pads.   Why shouldn't Beane be questioned about that?  Why shouldn't he be held accountable for his gambles that backfire?

You obviously didn't get the memo -- Beane was signing FAs while still employed by the Panthers.

This is why you are not considered a serious person. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Has any NFL pro ever gone without an injury in their career?    mole hill meet mountain 

Yeah.

I remember Thurman basically dragging himself after every tackle, but he carved out a nice niche for himself.

News Flash................ football is a rough game and injuries will occur.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane says team was willing to accept risk of free agents’ injury history

CLEARLY they were willing to accept players with injury concerns , they did...Morse, Kroft, Murphy, Gaines, Kevin Johnson..thats quite a list  How many of those guys are currently healthy?

Two. …..Houston we have a problem......

10 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

You can't win a marathon without putting some bandaids on your nipples.... am I right?

Try wave surfing on an inflatable raft for a week of vacation at the ocean. Those babies get sensitive

So yes, I can concur, you are right

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

CLEARLY they were willing to accept players with injury concerns , they did...Morse, Kroft, Murphy, Gaines, Kevin Johnson..thats quite a list  How many of those guys are currently healthy?

Two. …..Houston we have a problem......

And of all those guys, only Morse is critical.