DaBillsFanSince1973

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane says team was willing to accept risk of free agents’ injury history

Posted (edited)

PUAAJZGVRBCW5A5P7HK4MZZQLM.jpg

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane says team was willing to accept risk of free agents’ injury history

Beane spoke to about 150 different people as he made his way down the row. The main theme in the conversation spilling over that guard rail were messages of thanks.

Bills fans wanted Beane to know they’re thankful for the work he did this offseason, bringing in nearly 20 free agents and a draft class that’s largely been heralded as one of the elite crops of any team in the NFL.

But after all those moves, Beane and the Bills face a potential season-defining problem on the eve of their first preseason game Thursday night against the Indianapolis Colts:

What if some of those players, in one case the most important one, are injured?

That key player is center Mitch Morse, whom Beane signed to a four-year, $44 million contract in March, making him the highest paid center in the NFL. Morse was signed to energize one of the weakest offensive lines in the league and to help guide second-year quarterback Josh Allen.

But after just one training camp practice in full pads just over a week ago Morse suffered the fourth documented concussion of his five-year NFL career. He entered the league’s concussion protocol and it is unclear when he may return.

So when Morse hit the free agent market with a checkered injury sheet, Beane liked what he brought to the table as a person and from a leadership perspective. Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes had a career year in his first season as an NFL starter in 2018, throwing for 50 touchdown passes. Morse was his center.

“When you get guys that play in the league, rarely are you going to get a guy that comes in and has never had an injury. So you have to pick and choose,” Beane told NYUP.com on Tuesday after practice. "This is a physical game.

Beane had hoped to spend the first few weeks of camp solidifying the starting offensive line. The injuries mounting one after another has left the third-year GM frustrated.

Since he was hired as GM of the Bills Beane has maintained that the success of the franchise is based on the draft. Adding free agents is a nice way to find fits around your drafted players but an annual spending spree in free agency isn’t the way Beane envisions building a winner in Buffalo.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I will never ever question anything Beane does. I have the utmost respect for him as a GM. You do you. So long as the injury bug doesn't hit, we will be in the Playoffs under Beane/Mick. They've done a heckuva job here.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

I will never ever question anything Beane does. I have the utmost respect for him as a GM. You do you. So long as the injury bug doesn't hit, we will be in the Playoffs under Beane/Mick. They've done a heckuva job here.

This is where I am at too.  I mean, Morse was the best center on the market. I 100% prefer they took a chance and nabbed him rather than sit back and get some 2nd tier guy just because he might have a slightly less injury risk.  

Im a big fan of Beane and McD!

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Hell yes. I've told so many people this. Even some of the moves that at the time, had me going, "what the hell?" actually worked out in the long run. The ONLY questionable move was a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin. But hey, if he's only had one miss in now his third season, I'll take that batting average.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

I wouldn't say I'd never question him, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like (+1) 2

If you want to make an omelet ya got to break a few eggs... Got to take some chances. Morse was/still is a chance

Morse worries the hell out of me. Not because we paid and he might not play, but because he probably will play and I fear the next hit will bring all kinds of bad things along with it. including lots of negative press and constantly watching Morse to see how he recovers and IF he recovers fully.....  I'm more worried about him as a human right now then a football player. To get a concussion so easily in training camp is concerning. Knowing that he is going to go back out there is actually the part that worries me the most now. I'm afraid for him.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If you want to make an omelet ya got to break a few eggs... Got to take some chances. Morse was/still is a chance

Morse worries the hell out of me. Not because we paid and he might not play, but because he probably will play and I fear the next hit will bring all kinds of bad things along with it. including lots of negative press and constantly watching Morse to see how he recovers and IF he recovers fully.....  I'm more worried about him as a human right now then a football player. To get a concussion so easily in training camp is concerning. Knowing that he is going to go back out there is actually the part that worries me the most now. I'm afraid for him.

Yes and if you've had 4 concussions and you continue to play you're accepting that the 5th one may happen.  At some point people walk away from the game.  Wouldn't shock me if he did. 

• Like (+1) 3

The thing I like about McBeane is that they are not afraid to take a swing, Morse is an example of that.  Another would be Corey Coleman for example, that was clearly a miss.  There are going to be more misses.  But as long as they keep swinging, there are going to be home-runs that we will all celebrate.  They aren't going about it recklessly either.  I am not going to be one who nitpicks every time they swing and miss.   I am glad they brought Morse it was the right move and could still reap positive dividends.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Ever?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I'm sure they did their due diligence.  I read the interview with Morse; he went to I think the University of Michigan in the offseason for some extensive testing and apparently it showed he was doing well despite his concussion history. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

10 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Yes and if you've had 4 concussions and you continue to play you're accepting that the 5th one may happen.  At some point people walk away from the game.  Wouldn't shock me if he did. 

I agree, I believe this could be a time where he really needs to reflect. from the football stand point, sure, it would be a drag not to have him use his experience to help the team move forward. but it is the human side of me that knows there should be no question in his decision to retire if he chose to. I know it's crazy to talk about his retiring but those concussions are a very serious deal.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane's right. 

If a high quality player is on the open market, it's usually for one of four reasons: Age, attitude/character, contract demands, or injury history.

Given that Beane doesn't want an all-AARP squad (except at running back), given that attitude/character is important to him, and given that he doesn't like to overpay, that leaves us with injury history. It's either sign flawed players (which is what almost all free agents are) or sign no one at all.

I'm fully with Beane on this one. I don't blame him one bit for signing Morse or Gaines.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Remarkably positive.....................so far. 😋

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Football is a bunch of 300-lb. athletic freaks smashing into each other at top speed. Everyone is prone to injury in that kind of environment. 

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)

I think it is important to note that Beane doubled down

Yes he paid Morse with his high reward factor AND concussion history

they also brought in 2 other free agent OL that can play center

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 5

Morse is concerning to say the least.  I do trust Beane's judgment, but I also trust that Morse will most likely have more concussions given his medical history and how concussions work, he is simply more susceptible.  Given his position, it's a no brainer, no pun intended.  Gaines on the other hand, is a walking injury.  He will miss more games this year than he has played.

1 hour ago, Sunshower said:

Based on what? Just a hunch? 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Beane's right. 

If a high quality player is on the open market, it's usually for one of four reasons: Age, attitude/character, contract demands, or injury history.

Given that Beane doesn't want an all-AARP squad (except at running back), given that attitude/character is important to him, and given that he doesn't like to overpay, that leaves us with injury history. It's either sign flawed players (which is what almost all free agents are) or sign no one at all.

I'm fully with Beane on this one. I don't blame him one bit for signing Morse or Gaines.

This is a very rational, well thought out response.  You may be living up to your profile name.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Beane's right. 

So you'd rather sign a player with injury history than over pay for one without that? 

• Like (+1) 2

Based on Morse's contract Beane prepared for this.

Even though he was signed to a large deal, if the Bills cut Morse in year 2 they actually save $1.4m in cap space.

Vs. a contract like CJ Moseley, who in his 2nd year would be a $13 million cap loss if the Jets cut him year two. 

Most all of the FA contracts Beane signs are like this.  Unlike the Whaley days of having to pay Charles Clay dumb money cuz cutting him would kill our cap number.

Keep in mind the value of Beane's trades far outweigh the losses.  You're not going to bat 1000 in all your trades.  As long as you come out ahead on a majority your successful.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Remember when we all freaked out when he traded Sammy and Darby within hours of each other? Everyone said we were tanking? 

Then we went out and broke a 17-year playoff drought, and used the picks we acquired for those two (who would've left in FA anyway) to be able to have the capital to draft our QB of the future, and build this team for the long haul. 

I'm not going to doubt what those two (McDermott and Beane) do. It seems like with almost every move they've made, they've been three steps ahead.... if that makes sense. The trades of Sammy and Darby weren't just "trying to tank". They had a plan of what they were going to do with that capital, and they executed it.

Posted (edited)

This is 100% Jerry Sullivan's crusade. He was sooooo bummed out that nothing was going wrong at Bills camp until Morse got injured. He would even beat up his reporter guests like Matt Parrino for not calling Beane out for "desperately" (Jerry's word) overpaying players who were obviously not worth signing.  

I know I was pumping up Jerry's radio show but this is where he starts to suck. He conjures up a scenario where Beane and McDermott are desperate to make the playoffs so they sign players with injury histories. That is about as cynical take as you can make. No proof mind you. Just painting things in the worst light imaginable.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Based on what? Just a hunch? 

I think Allen is ready to blossom into a young franchise QB. I do not expect a marginal improvement, I expect his improvement to be considerable.

I'm a big fan of our draft. Our OL is much better. Multiple upgrades at RB. Just for a point of reference, TJ Yeldon, whom many here consider to be a bubble player would have likely started multiple games for us last year. Singletary is going to be the starter by the end of the year and a high end one at that.

Defense last year was good, now we got Oliver in the middle, who I regard as a potential gold jacket applicant one day. Edmunds, Tre and Milano are leading the charge on D. It's not just about this year's draft, it's about last year's and the one before it, and I think we did a pretty good job these past few years. Impressive young veteran nucleus. Oh and we got ridiculous depth in that secondary.

I'm guessing we go 11-5, maybe win a playoff game. Injuries could put the kibosh on our season, but that's true for any team and as always, we need a bit of luck and good karma going our way. Few lucky breaks here n' there.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

I think Allen is ready to blossom into a young franchise QB. I do not expect a marginal improvement, I expect his improvement to be considerable.

I'm a big fan of our draft. Our OL is much better. Multiple upgrades at RB. Just for a point of reference, TJ Yeldon, whom many here consider to be a bubble player would have likely started multiple games for us last year. Singletary is going to be the starter by the end of the year and a high end one at that.

Defense last year was good, now we got Oliver in the middle, who I regard as a potential gold jacket applicant one day. Edmunds, Tre and Milano are leading the charge on D. It's not just about this year's draft, it's about last year's and the one before it, and I think we did a pretty good job these past few years. Impressive young veteran nucleus. Oh and we got ridiculous depth in that secondary.

I'm guessing we go 11-5, maybe win a playoff game. Injuries could put the kibosh on our season, but that's true for any team and as always, we need a bit of luck and good karma going our way. Few lucky breaks here n' there.

Really rides on Allen.

Building through the draft is important obviously, but so is building through FA. You need a balance. To this point he's essentially struck out on most, if not all FAs he's signed. Need this FA class to step up big time this year. There are really no excuses.

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 1