Sign in to follow this  
eball

Shady's combined yards from scrimmage in 2019...predictions?

What will Shady's combined yardage total be in 2019?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What will Shady's combined yardage total be in 2019?

• 750 yards or more
    • fewer than 750 yards

14 minutes ago, wnysteel said:

i don't think he sees 500 total yards. here is why:

1) if he starts out hot, he's going to get traded (for anything)

2) if he starts out cold, he will get cut or sat down

prove me wrong but i don't see any other options

Well, there's always "he starts hot, and continues playing."

But I'm just spitballing here.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1400 all purpose yards and 7 Tds. 

The tape really does not show a big decline. It shows atrocious blocking. I know the popular view on our oline last year was that it majorly hamstrung Josh Allen and the passing game. While I am not here to tell you the pass blocking was good the reality is that in most games it was only below average. The run blocking in most games on the other hand was the worst in the NFL. Unmitigated disaster level bad. 

I wish I could find that stat but it was one of the WGR guys somehow got a hold of it.

Shady was dead last in the league (those who qualify) for yards before first contact.  Phillip Lindsay was #1 at 3.05 yards.  I think Shady was literally at 1.9 or something like that.

So basically, as soon as he got the handoff....someone was in his face.

16 minutes ago, wnysteel said:

i don't think he sees 500 total yards. here is why:

1) if he starts out hot, he's going to get traded (for anything)

2) if he starts out cold, he will get cut or sat down

prove me wrong but i don't see any other options

How can we prove you wrong when it's August and the season hasn't started yet?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I will double your question.  He's gonna surprise the NFL world and produce 1500 yards from scrimmage.

my first thought when i read the question was 1500. I was surprised when i clicked it and it was an over/under of 750. I think he blows it out of the water... only question is by how much.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

I'm optimistic, I say he hits 1000 yds. Somewhere around 800 rushing and 200 receiving. I think the offense will be much improved this year. He'll be sharing carries with Gore and Singletary, so he's unlikely to have a monster season comparable to what he's done in the past. 

I agree because of the platooning he'll do with Gore and Singletary,  Shady should put up 800/200 in his final season for Buffalo. Anything above that is gravy.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Thats terribly pessimistic for a guy top 5 in cash paid and top 3 in cap hit this year. 

That the expectations are so low speaks volumes 

He's also being paid based on past performance. Let's be real, if he were on the open market he wouldn't be getting anywhere near that much. That said, I don't think he's completely done, he's still a capable back, maybe a little less dynamic than during his prime. But given a decent line and a better offense around him I think he can be effective. 

Also, those numbers account for the fact he's got tremendous depth competing for carries in the backfield this season. 

I'm guessing 2 yards, but they're really really long yards, like a 2100 feet a piece

I am cautiously optimistic and would say that around 950 all purpose is my guess.

IF(!!!)he stays healthy ,The only way he doesn’t get 750 is Singletary comes in like Thurman Thomas and just blows the doors off the competition.

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wish I could find that stat but it was one of the WGR guys somehow got a hold of it.

Shady was dead last in the league (those who qualify) for yards before first contact.  Phillip Lindsay was #1 at 3.05 yards.  I think Shady was literally at 1.9 or something like that.

So basically, as soon as he got the handoff....someone was in his face.

How can we prove you wrong when it's August and the season hasn't started yet?

touche, i just think he's earning too much and we have too much invested in RB bench depth to keep him around. i guess that was my point. for the amount he's earning, yards from scrimmage should start at 1500. i just don't see it. 

Used to be a no brainer. If McCoy is once again featured and the OL is what it appears to be...then 1000-1250 would not be unreasonable. I just feel that he had a down year in 2018.

4 minutes ago, wnysteel said:

touche, i just think he's earning too much and we have too much invested in RB bench depth to keep him around. i guess that was my point. for the amount he's earning, yards from scrimmage should start at 1500. i just don't see it. 

I do believe in Gunner when he says on tape, it's more about the blocking up front than Shady.

I still see the burst and the wiggle...I just don't see him getting even a hairline of space most of the time.

I don't think 1,500 is out of the question.

Posted (edited)

I don't believe that Shady is elite anymore and he's sharing the backfield with 3 other RB's.  No way he gets to 500 total yards from scrimmage.  IMO, Singletary will lead all RB's in rushing, while Shady and Yeldon will lead, probably close in receiving yards.  I don't give a ***** how it plays out, as long as they play together and they win.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He is not elite anymore and sharing the backfield with 3 other RB's.  No way he gets to 500 total yards from scrimmage.  IMO, Singletary will lead all RB's in rushing, which Shady and Yeldon will lead, probably close in receiving yards.  I don't give a ***** how it plays out, as long as they play together and they win.

I believe that Shady will have a better year, but as long as they all play well collectively and win...then go for it!

• Like (+1) 1

He will rush for less than 100 yds total in first three games then he will be traded or cut

Castillo is one of the worst O-Line coaches that I have ever seen. Our O-Line had zero depth, zero star players and zero discipline. I'm amazed Shady even got the yardage that he did, he was making people miss before he even got to the LOS. I think Gore will vulture some TD's but behind this O-Line I can see Shady getting 1,200 rushing and 300 receiving with 8 total TD's. I'm hoping we use Shady like the Saints use Kamara.

4 hours ago, wnysteel said:

I don’t know if 1500 is the magic number but all these sub 1000 predictions sure sound like endorsements to not just trade him but cut him if we don’t receive offers. 

and I don’t think most realize that.

1000 yards from scrimmage at a glance appears to be 24th among running backs last year. we can’t have that be the “up” year for a guy that’s top 5 compensation at his position. 

4 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Used to be a no brainer. If McCoy is once again featured and the OL is what it appears to be...then 1000-1250 would not be unreasonable. I just feel that he had a down year in 2018.

That should be the minimum expectation, not a reasonable aspiration, for a guy in his pay grade

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t know if 1500 is the magic number but all these sub 1000 predictions sure sound like endorsements to not just trade him but cut him if we don’t receive offers. 

1000 yards from scrimmage at a glance appears to be 24th among running backs last year. we can’t have that be the “up” year for a guy that’s top 5 compensation at his position. 

Doesn't really matter TBH... If he gets 1k I can easily bet Gore is getting good numbers and Singletary going to be good also.

Bills have too many good RBs and also McCoys money is Moot since they don't need it in any way. Top 5 doesn't matter, I will take playoffs b.c if McCoy is getting 1k this year this team is playoff bound.

Edited by Boca BIlls

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

That should be the minimum expectation, not a reasonable aspiration, for a guy in his pay grade

I still think McCoy will be an effective back. As for pay grade? We have to factor in the possible emergence of Singletary.

7 hours ago, elijah said:

I don’t see Shady returning to elite form, but I think the improved offensive line will help him bounce back to around 800 rushing yards and 6 rushing touchdowns on about 4 per carry.  While he doesn’t have the top end speed, he still displayed the agility that he makes his living on last year. 

Including receiving yards makes this easy to vote over.  For rushing only, over/under 750 makes sense for the number. 

I think Josh will learn to check down more, and that points towards the over (as long as he’s healthy and the hammy’s are cooperating). 

I read this as 750 or more yards rushing. Reading comprehension is apparently not my strong suit. I voted accordingly as fewer than 750. In light of accurately reading the post, if he had 752 all purpose yards last year there is no way he gets less than that. I don’t see greater than 750 rushing yards though. 

6 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Doesn't really matter TBH... If he gets 1k I can easily bet Gore is getting good numbers and Singletary going to be good also.

Bills have too many good RBs and also McCoys money is Moot since they don't need it in any way. Top 5 doesn't matter, I will take playoffs b.c if McCoy is getting 1k this year this team is playoff bound.

If you think he’s that player I’m all for paying him but many of these predictions are rather replaceable. If you think he’s an 800 yard guy that’s losing carries to gore, singletary and yeldon he’s got to go and you spend that cash on upgrading something else.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If you think he’s that player I’m all for paying him but many of these predictions are rather replaceable. If you think he’s an 800 yard guy that’s losing carries to gore, singletary and yeldon he’s got to go and you spend that cash on upgrading something else.

Don't need the cash... That is something you don't understand. What the hell can they upgrade? You cash mongers are so horrible with this crap.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Don't need the cash... That is something you don't understand. What the hell can they upgrade? You cash mongers are so horrible with this crap.

This isn't a question of performance vs money unless this has some basis in trading McCoy or any other rumor floating around.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Ironically, I’m one of the loudest “spend the money” guys on the entire board. So swing and miss there.

You cant pay a RB top 5 starter money for multiple years to get bottom 5 starter stats. I’m not sure whether he’s that guy but many in this thread are predicting it as an ok outcome.

I’d be glad to look at a trade at TE (brate, Rudolph?), maybe contribute towards a Trent Williams deal. Or who knows who shakes loose the next few weeks. Would you be upset to add a solid vet depth linebacker and look hard at pass catchers?

We should be willing to overspend for guys. We should not be overspending on shady unless he can differentiate himself from the 3 other backs. 

14 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

This isn't a question of performance vs money unless this has some basis in trading McCoy or any other rumor floating around.

Frankly, it is a cash issue in that you don’t pay a guy to be a top 5 running back unless you think he’s at least top half of the league or you are crippled by lack of depth.