McCoy says he’s been told he’s “the guy” in 2019, discusses trade rumors

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

He'd beat the odds if he does return to form as he looked like a shell of himself last yearObviously the Bills brass feels differently.  It would be interesting to see the offers Beane turned down if he was trying to trade him last year.

I feel differently, too.

What I saw was an offensive line that opened absolutely NO holes for Shady. I then saw McCoy try to press and overcompensate by always trying to make something out of nothing. Admittedly, that part's on him. Still, I'd put it at 90% o-line being awful and 10% Shady not hitting the few holes that WERE there with authority.

Like others have said, there are NO excuses this year. If he's anything other than a top end starter, you get rid of him for whatever you can, because Singletary is the feature back of the future, and Gore/Yeldon would be perfectly adequate backups/mentors for the youngster.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Obviously they're not going to tell him that he's trade bait if that's what they're planning, so what he's been told is irrelevant. With that said, I have no doubt that he WILL be the guy this year.

His agent might well know what teams have inquired about him. 

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The Bills invested a lot of money in the New OL. I see no excuses this year.

Well...injuries.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He's no Gregg Williams.

Who is?

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I don't see McCoy getting cut, but I still have a hunch he could be traded before the regular season if the right deal is out there and Singletary looks like a stud in preseason (which I'm expecting).

Best case is that we could package him in a deal to Houston for Clowney so we don't have to give up a first round pick. Could definitely see Beane pulling the trigger on a deal like that.

That wouldn't be a very High Football IQ move for Houston...

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The Bills invested a lot of money in the New OL. I see no excuses this year.

Invested a lot of money spread over like 8 guys aside from Morse, and Morse is very possibly another concussion this year away from making a business decision with his future health and retiring.  I still view our OL as an extremely patchwork line, very much a work in progress.

First:  I believed Beane all along when he insisted Shady was fully in the plans for this season over and over again.  

Second:  I am fully aware that a GM can think one thing one day, and then something different later, so no endorsement is a guarantee.  

Third:  I still have never really felt Shady was likely going to be traded given he's a talented Vet and very close to both Allen and Gore, who came here to play with Shady.

BUT:  With that being said, am I the only one SUPER curious about what two teams "wanted" Shady in a trade as he alluded to in his interview?  And what were they offering that Beane turned down?  Be interesting to know who they were and what there RB situation currently was because if one of those teams got an injury this preseason, makes you wonder if they would make Beane a new offer he could not refuse.

I mean its pretty easy turn down if its like a 6th, or 7th round pick.  But a 4th starts to get pretty tempting, and a 3rd would be getting into no brainer territory.  So I am going to just assume it was a low round pick offered, because I find it tough to think Beane would turn down a 4th or higher.  I also think there is probably no chance anyone would have offered a quality pick for a 32 year old RB coming off his worst professional season unless their situation got dire.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

I don't see McCoy getting cut, but I still have a hunch he could be traded before the regular season if the right deal is out there and Singletary looks like a stud in preseason (which I'm expecting).

Best case is that we could package him in a deal to Houston for Clowney so we don't have to give up a first round pick. Could definitely see Beane pulling the trigger on a deal like that.

Nobody is giving anything valuable for Clowney at this point because he is a one year rental. He is tagged and the negotiation deadline has passed. So he will be a FA after the season unless said team is willing to use the 2nd year tag with its additional cost on him and at that stage the team who has traded for him has almost no leverage. I suppose there is a chance the Bills could offer Shady for Clowney straight up but why the hell would Houston take that for one of the best players in the NFL? 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First:  I believed Beane all along when he insisted Shady was fully in the plans for this season over and over again.  

Second:  I am fully aware that a GM can think one thing one day, and then something different later, so no endorsement is a guarantee.  

Third:  I still have never really felt Shady was likely going to be traded given he's a talented Vet and very close to both Allen and Gore, who came here to play with Shady.

BUT:  With that being said, am I the only one SUPER curious about what two teams "wanted" Shady in a trade as he alluded to in his interview?  And what were they offering that Beane turned down?  Be interesting to know who they were and what there RB situation currently was because if one of those teams got an injury this preseason, makes you wonder if they would make Beane a new offer he could not refuse.

I mean its pretty easy turn down if its like a 6th, or 7th round pick.  But a 4th starts to get pretty tempting, and a 3rd would be getting into no brainer territory.  So I am going to just assume it was a low round pick offered, because I find it tough to think Beane would turn down a 4th or higher.  I also think there is probably no chance anyone would have offered a quality pick for a 32 year old RB coming off his worst professional season unless their situation got dire.

I think McDermott and Beane know Shady is popular in the locker room and while he might not be a leader in the conventional sense I think they understand the role he plays in there. I don't see a trade before the season. If by the deadline he is not the best running back on the Bills then maybe he gets moved at that point. I am far from convinced he won't still be our best back in 2019 though. 

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This again?  What is with "the guy" that he has to keep reassuring himself that he's the same ol' Shady in public utterings?

The best part is that "he told the Bills website" that the Bills told him that he's the guy this year.  LOLOL  WTF is that?

Actually I think it was the assistant equipment manager who heard it from the janitor who told him.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Obviously they're not going to tell him that he's trade bait if that's what they're planning, so what he's been told is irrelevant. With that said, I have no doubt that he WILL be the guy this year.

Usually you hear about it on the grapevine - guess you'll find out soon if LA or Dallas is desperate for RB help on their holdouts.  While they may call, i don't think we're advertising it.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McDermott and Beane know Shady is popular in the locker room and while he might not be a leader in the conventional sense I think they understand the role he plays in there. I don't see a trade before the season. If by the deadline he is not the best running back on the Bills then maybe he gets moved at that point. I am far from convinced he won't still be our best back in 2019 though. 

Im on the same page as you, still curious to who the teams were he referenced. 

I just hope that if McCoy doesn't have it anymore (or if he dances around too much, which is just as likely), that the team doesn't wait too long to make the switch to someone else.  Regardless of if that means reduced duty, benching, release, or a trade.  I'm especially excited to see if Singletary can bring a level of explosiveness that McCoy probably can't bring at this point in his career.