Which "Bubble" guys will you be watching in the pre-season?

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm really interested to see Ray Ray.  I thought after all our signings....he's not making the team.

Now I think he's making it but not a lock.  McDermott has praised him to the public.  

...interesting...from what I've read, Ray-Ray is rising and Foster is meh.....

Honestly, there are very few bubble guys on this roster.  The roster is more or less set, excluding future injuries.

QB - Allen, Barkley (2)

RB - McCoy, Gore, Singletary (3)

FB - DiMarco (1)

OL - Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nysekhe, Long, Feliciano, Bodine, McDermott (9)

WR - Brown, Beasley, Jones, Foster, Roberts, McCloud (6)

TE - Kroft, Knox, Smith, Sweeney (4) (Croom may make it is Kroft starts on PUP).

DE - Murphy, Hughes, Lawson, Love (4)

DT - Lotulelei, Oliver, Phillips, Phillips (4)

LB - Milano, Edmunds, Alexander, Thompson, Alexander, Stanford (6)

Safety - Poyer, Hyde, Coleman, Marlowe, Neal (5)

CB - White, Wallace, Gaines, Johnson, Johnson, Pitts (6)

ST - Hauschka, Bojorquez, Ferguson (3)

I think the only real bubbles out there right now are Jaquan Johnson and Vosean Joseph.  It will be interesting to see if someone can beat out Pitts, but this staff seems to like him.

18 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Valid point,  still hope he hangs on though, 

Go  Bills!!!

Why??  Williams was a nice story, people got all excited over him. But reality is once training camp started and he's going up against other NFL caliper players, it shows why he has been in the CFL.  There appears to be other more talented options on the Bills roster.

Granted he had many off field and maturity issues going on that may have contributed to him not being in the league.  But guys like Dez Byrant or even E Elliott (Hmmm....pattern here) are/were in the league for a reason.  They had the talent so you over looked the nonsense part of their lives and put up with them.  Guys with the talent level of Duke Williams instead got cut.

Maybe in the pre-season games his talent will shine through, but will be somewhat surprised if he even gets much chance other than game #4

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

The WR battle seems to be the most interesting, but I think for guys that will actually get some legit playing time and make a difference, it's the O-line.  The line between being cut and being a situational starter is pretty fine.  Teller is one that falls into that category for me. 

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Honestly, there are very few bubble guys on this roster.  The roster is more or less set, excluding future injuries.

QB - Allen, Barkley (2)

RB - McCoy, Gore, Singletary (3)

FB - DiMarco (1)

OL - Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nysekhe, Long, Feliciano, Bodine, McDermott (9)

WR - Brown, Beasley, Jones, Foster, Roberts, McCloud (6)

TE - Kroft, Knox, Smith, Sweeney (4) (Croom may make it is Kroft starts on PUP).

DE - Murphy, Hughes, Lawson, Love (4)

DT - Lotulelei, Oliver, Phillips, Phillips (4)

LB - Milano, Edmunds, Alexander, Thompson, Alexander, Stanford (6)

Safety - Poyer, Hyde, Coleman, Marlowe, Neal (5)

CB - White, Wallace, Gaines, Johnson, Johnson, Pitts (6)

ST - Hauschka, Bojorquez, Ferguson (3)

I think the only real bubbles out there right now are Jaquan Johnson and Vosean Joseph.  It will be interesting to see if someone can beat out Pitts, but this staff seems to like him.

I would say that there are 41 roster spots set (barring future injuries) and 12 open. Of your list of 53, I'd put the following 12 on the bubble:

Bodine (I'd choose Teller instead)

McDermott

McCloud

Sweeney

Love

Thompson

Stanford

M. Alexander

Marlowe (I'd choose J. Johnson instead)

Gaines (I'd choose C. Lewis instead)

Pitts (I'd choose V. Joseph instead)

Bojorquez

20 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

I would say that there are 41 roster spots set (barring future injuries) and 12 open. Of your list of 53, I'd put the following 12 on the bubble:

Bodine (I'd choose Teller instead)

McDermott

McCloud

Sweeney

Love

Thompson

Stanford

M. Alexander

Marlowe (I'd choose J. Johnson instead)

Gaines (I'd choose C. Lewis instead)

Pitts (I'd choose V. Joseph instead)

Bojorquez

Zero percent chance Teller makes it over Bodine.  Bodine is better and has position flexibility.

If not McDermott, than who?  They need 4 tackles.

I don't know if you haven't been following TC or not, but McCloud, Sweeney, Love, Thompson, and Stanford all have been getting significantly minutes.

Alexander is making it for ST.  Probably same case with Marlowe and Pitts.

Russell Bodine. He's a guy that I'd like to see play well. We could really use a solid option behind Morse. I think the reality behind the Morse signing is we'll have a top 5 center for 75% of the year, but for 4-5 games every year we're going to need a competent backup. Can Bodine be that guy? Very important position for that OL. 

6 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Russell Bodine. He's a guy that I'd like to see play well. We could really use a solid option behind Morse. I think the reality behind the Morse signing is we'll have a top 5 center for 75% of the year, but for 4-5 games every year we're going to need a competent backup. Can Bodine be that guy? Very important position for that OL. 

Bodine is horrible. barely an NFL backup.....

59 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Zero percent chance Teller makes it over Bodine.  Bodine is better and has position flexibility.

If not McDermott, than who?  They need 4 tackles.

I don't know if you haven't been following TC or not, but McCloud, Sweeney, Love, Thompson, and Stanford all have been getting significantly minutes.

Alexander is making it for ST.  Probably same case with Marlowe and Pitts.

1. Ridiculous. 0% chance of Teller over Bodine? Really? Bodine is like the fourth string center behind Long and Feliciano. He's awful. Teller still has potential.

2. Some teams only go with 3 tackles on the 53-man roster since 3 tackles are often all that are activated on Sundays. Beane may also go after an Aug 31 cut elsewhere. McDermott's spot is far from secure.

3. Yes, I've been following training camp reasonably close. Getting significant minutes in training camp is a good sign, but there are still 4 preseason games and almost 4 full weeks left before cuts.

4. Most special teams spots are too hard to predict for anybody in early August. And none of the 3 guys you mentioned are Stever Tasker.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike your posts. You make it sound like everything is already resolved, and all that's left for Coach McClappy to figure out is which punter named Cory to keep. If that's the case, why play the preseason games at all and risk injury? The answer is that training camp practice and actual game performance are two very different beasts. I stand by my assessment: 12 of the 53 roster spots are still very much up for grabs.

34 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

1. Ridiculous. 0% chance of Teller over Bodine? Really? Bodine is like the fourth string center behind Long and Feliciano. He's awful. Teller still has potential.

2. Some teams only go with 3 tackles on the 53-man roster since 3 tackles are often all that are activated on Sundays. Beane may also go after an Aug 31 cut elsewhere. McDermott's spot is far from secure.

3. Yes, I've been following training camp reasonably close. Getting significant minutes in training camp is a good sign, but there are still 4 preseason games and almost 4 full weeks left before cuts.

4. Most special teams spots are too hard to predict for anybody in early August. And none of the 3 guys you mentioned are Stever Tasker.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike your posts. You make it sound like everything is already resolved, and all that's left for Coach McClappy to figure out is which punter named Cory to keep. If that's the case, why play the preseason games at all and risk injury? The answer is that training camp practice and actual game performance are two very different beasts. I stand by my assessment: 12 of the 53 roster spots are still very much up for grabs.

Long was one of the worst centers the league has ever seen in NJ.  It was so bad.  When was the last time you seen Feliciano play center?  Bodine was fine last year.  People love to trash him in, but I seen a lot of good plays out of him last year.

When the line was healthy in TC, Teller was on the 3rd string and struggled.  Bodine even kicked to guard at times because Teller couldn't block anyone.  Teller is bad.  He was horrid was he played last year and came to camp with that lazy attitude again.  Same crappy attitude that hurt him college.  This regime won't put up with it.

You may be right where they bring in someone after Aug 31st, but right now, McDermott is the 4th OT.  This team will not play around with the Oline.  McDermott may not be active, but he will make the 53rd if they don't bring another tackle in later.

TC pretty much tells the entire story.  Preseason is actually completely useless.  This staff pretty much knows who is making the team.  When was the last great performance in preseason where a player got no run in TC that made a difference?  Look at O'leary.  Guy was probably put up the best stats on team in preseason and was cut.

They aren't Tasker, but they were on the team last year for ST and Alexander was signed for ST. 

12?!?!  LOL

23 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Why??  Williams was a nice story, people got all excited over him. But reality is once training camp started and he's going up against other NFL caliper players, it shows why he has been in the CFL.  There appears to be other more talented options on the Bills roster.

Granted he had many off field and maturity issues going on that may have contributed to him not being in the league.  But guys like Dez Byrant or even E Elliott (Hmmm....pattern here) are/were in the league for a reason.  They had the talent so you over looked the nonsense part of their lives and put up with them.  Guys with the talent level of Duke Williams instead got cut.

Maybe in the pre-season games his talent will shine through, but will be somewhat surprised if he even gets much chance other than game #4

Because.?

19 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Long was one of the worst centers the league has ever seen in NJ.  It was so bad.  When was the last time you seen Feliciano play center?  Bodine was fine last year.  People love to trash him in, but I seen a lot of good plays out of him last year.

When the line was healthy in TC, Teller was on the 3rd string and struggled.  Bodine even kicked to guard at times because Teller couldn't block anyone.  Teller is bad.  He was horrid was he played last year and came to camp with that lazy attitude again.  Same crappy attitude that hurt him college.  This regime won't put up with it.

You may be right where they bring in someone after Aug 31st, but right now, McDermott is the 4th OT.  This team will not play around with the Oline.  McDermott may not be active, but he will make the 53rd if they don't bring another tackle in later.

TC pretty much tells the entire story.  Preseason is actually completely useless.  This staff pretty much knows who is making the team.  When was the last great performance in preseason where a player got no run in TC that made a difference?  Look at O'leary.  Guy was probably put up the best stats on team in preseason and was cut.

They aren't Tasker, but they were on the team last year for ST and Alexander was signed for ST. 

12?!?!  LOL

We really don't disagree on that much.

I think Love, Thompson, Stanford, and M. Alexander can secure their roster spots with good performances tonight. The other 8 spots (6th WR, 4th TE, 8th and 9th OL, 9th DB, punter, 2 more for ST) will take a little more time. But we both agree that McCloud, Sweeney, Bojorquez, and McDermott have inside tracks to 4 of those spots.