Bills Training Camp Day 11 (last practice at SJF for 2019) 8/6

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I thought this was interesting:

Maybe Zay isn't even a starter anymore?

I think right now, the WR starting role opposite of Brown is still wide-open.  I bet Zay starts Thursdays game, but I wont be surprised to see a lot of rotation in the first 2 weeks of preseason between Foster, Roberts, Zay, and Cam.  And maybe even Duke could crack the rotation week 2 if he has some nice moments week 1 with the backups.  

Right now, I think there are 3 roles in full lock down:  Brown is one of the starters, Cole is the slot, and Roberts is the returner.  Their place on the team and their roles are 100% confirmed.  Now the question is, does Roberts play more WR than anyone expected?  Could he even challenge to start opposite Brown if he keeps playing like this?  Will Cam Phillips keep the momentum and make the roster, and if so, can he even challenge to start as he has had one of the best camps of the group.

And then there is Foster, a guy a lot of people assumed would start this year.  Can he rise to the challenge and elevate his game to become a more complete WR and take back the lead for the starting role as he currently seems to be on the outside looking in at the moment for the starting spot.

All I know, is this is a good problem to have...a lot of WR's impressing and competing.  I love that McD is showing its TRULY a competition and keeping their promise to Roberts and giving him a chance to show what he can contribute too as a WR.  

WILDCARD:  What if...and just saying what if...someone NOT named Zay or Foster wins the starting job opposite of Brown?  Would be pretty shocking to see both Zay and Foster fall to rotational reserve roles.  I think if that was to happen, one of Zay or Foster could certainly be a trade candidate before preseason is over.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

Somebody please tell me if I missed something, but isn’t it a wee bit curious that on what appears to have been a stellar day for Allen not one media member tweeted or reported his “stats” from practice?

Uncomfortably curious.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think right now, the WR starting role opposite of Brown is still wide-open.  I bet Zay starts Thursdays game, but I wont be surprised to see a lot of rotation in the first 2 weeks of preseason between Foster, Roberts, Zay, and Cam.  And maybe even Duke could crack the rotation week 2 if he has some nice moments week 1 with the backups.  

Right now, I think there are 3 roles in full lock down:  Brown is one of the starters, Cole is the slot, and Roberts is the returner.  Their place on the team and their roles are 100% confirmed.  Now the question is, does Roberts play more WR than anyone expected?  Could he even challenge to start opposite Brown if he keeps playing like this?  Will Cam Phillips keep the momentum and make the roster, and if so, can he even challenge to start as he has had one of the best camps of the group.

And then there is Foster, a guy a lot of people assumed would start this year.  Can he rise to the challenge and elevate his game to become a more complete WR and take back the lead for the starting role as he currently seems to be on the outside looking in at the moment for the starting spot.

All I know, is this is a good problem to have...a lot of WR's impressing and competing.  I love that McD is showing its TRULY a competition and keeping their promise to Roberts and giving him a chance to show what he can contribute too as a WR.  

WILDCARD:  What if...and just saying what if...someone NOT named Zay or Foster wins the starting job opposite of Brown?  Would be pretty shocking to see both Zay and Foster fall to rotational reserve roles.  I think if that was to happen, one of Zay or Foster could certainly be a trade candidate before preseason is over.  

I would agree that the three you mentioned are full locks!  Brown, Cole and Roberts.   But I'd have to say that Zay is pretty much a near lock as is Foster.  Zay more so than Foster even though I like Foster's ceiling more than Zay's.

After that I would have to say its Ray Ray, Cam Phillips, McKenzie then Duke.    At this point, I don't see how Duke makes the final roster.

• Like (+1) 1

ARoberts.jpg?aq23UG8.Q_8NOkCCsnrS4nlse9L

CAPACCIO: Five post-training camp opinions

3.) I really can’t remember a time I felt the Bills' secondary was as talented and deep overall as this group is. There have been times they’ve had two really good cornerbacks, and other times they’ve had solid safeties, or a combination of one at each spot. However, corners Tre’Davious White and Levi Wallace, along with safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer all in one secondary is as solid as I can remember.

That’s just four players, when Taron Johnson can really be considered a starting player as the slot cornerback. That’s five legitimate, solid NFL starters. Even if other Bills teams in the past had a really good starting four, they didn’t have five, and certainly not the kind of depth this one has. Obviously cornerback E.J. Gaines is a part of that, but he is hurt right now. Cornerback Kevin Johnson has continued his strong spring into this training camp, which just underscores how well Wallace is playing.

Behind Hyde and Poyer at safety is Kurt Coleman, who showed his football IQ and leadership immediately after being signed. This was one of the better overall secondaries in the NFL last year, and so far it looks like they only got better for 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Magox said:

I would agree that the three you mentioned are full locks!  Brown, Cole and Roberts.   But I'd have to say that Zay is pretty much a near lock as is Foster.  Zay more so than Foster even though I like Foster's ceiling more than Zay's.

After that I would have to say its Ray Ray, Cam Phillips, McKenzie then Duke.    At this point, I don't see how Duke makes the final roster.

My take on Zay is that we’ve heard very little about him or Tre White. If Tre wasn’t dancing & singing, he wasn’t talked about. Why? Cuz he’s been stuck to Zay all camp. Jones isn’t open and throws don’t get attempted in Tre’s area. Zay’s biggest weakness since entering the League is his inability to shake coverage. If no mention of him throughout SJF means Tre’ has him covered like a glove, then it’s difficult to believe he’s gotten any better. He’s already down to #4 and Andre Roberts wants more than KR duties. 

At the risk of starting another 58 page monstrosity, @Alphadawg7 may be on to something...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, eball said:

Somebody please tell me if I missed something, but isn’t it a wee bit curious that on what appears to have been a stellar day for Allen not one media member tweeted or reported his “stats” from practice?

From what I gather Allen hasn't been "that" stellar in that he has missed some passes, thrown some behind the receivers... Meanwhile, Matt Barkley has looked razor sharp in comparison.

Allen is a work in progress as an NFL QB and it shows. Don't expect him to throw 50 TDs like Mahomes. If I read things right my take is McD wants to build a ground and pound offense that will allow Allen to pick his passes which will allow him to continue to develop properly.

On another note, I suspect what we will see Thursday vs the Colts is how Bodine is not up to being a starting NFL center as Ed Oliver has been destroying him. 

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My take on Zay is that we’ve heard very little about him or Tre White. If Tre wasn’t dancing & singing, he wasn’t talked about. Why? Cuz he’s been stuck to Zay all camp. Jones isn’t open and throws don’t get attempted in Tre’s area. Zay’s biggest weakness since entering the League is his inability to shake coverage. If no mention of him throughout SJF means Tre’ has him covered like a glove, then it’s difficult to believe he’s gotten any better. He’s already down to #4 and Andre Roberts wants more than KR duties. 

Aside from Zay, I'm hearing that Tre White has had some difficulty covering Smokey. 

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

From what I gather Allen hasn't been "that" stellar in that he has missed some passes, thrown some behind the receivers... Meanwhile, Matt Barkley has looked razor sharp in comparison.

Allen is a work in progress as an NFL QB and it shows. Don't expect him to throw 50 TDs like Mahomes. If I read things right my take is McD wants to build a ground and pound offense that will allow Allen to pick his passes which will allow him to continue to develop properly.

I was specifically referencing yesterday's practice with respect to the media's posting of "passing stats" at training camp.  Every other day Allen's stats have been posted, but on a day during which he was extremely sharp no stats were posted.  To me, that's curious.

I don't agree with your read on McD's preferred offense but that's irrelevant to my post.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the top 5 are set: 

Brown

Beasley

Jones

Foster

Roberts.

I think within those five, Brown and Beasley obviously get the most snaps. Aside from that that, I expect heavy rotation on the 3rd. I also think that Daboll, with pieces to play with, doesn't really have a "depth chart" mentality. I expect the best on the field at any given time, with specific consideration given to packages where strengths compliment strengths. These are all fast, shifty guys who will be hard to cover, and I expect a lot of movement pre-snap.

The 6th spot as of now belongs to McCloud. That being said, I am interested to see how he does in preseason. He had a decent camp last year, but didn't ever play well in games. McKenzie, on the other hand, played well in games. I think it'll either be McKenzie or McCloud and that we'll see a decent amount of snaps from whoever is the 6th guy as well. My guess is they like McCloud better cause he's more of a gadget player and they probably envision moving him around and running him a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sweeney could be another late round gem from BC, following in milano’s Footsteps 

He's got that old school TE thing going for him. I can't remember who it was but it was one of the more prominent draft nerds, he said if this was the 70s, Sweeney would've been a second round pick. 

I have been to SJF several times to watch the Bills practice and by seeing everyones posts, I have a good feel for what is going on there. The media is there everyday, is it the same when the Bills come back to OBD? Is the media allowed to watch all the practices for the rest of preseason or it is just a couple practices that are open to media?

7 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I have been to SJF several times to watch the Bills practice and by seeing everyones posts, I have a good feel for what is going on there. The media is there everyday, is it the same when the Bills come back to OBD? Is the media allowed to watch all the practices for the rest of preseason or it is just a couple practices that are open to media?

Pretty sure the media will only have access to to stretching and individual drills.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

there's a lot of tom sweeney chatter going on around here.

Thanks to three injuries to the guys above him, he got a lot of reps for a 7th round draft pick.  It sounds like he made the most of his opportunity.  I'm looking forward to seeing him with my own eyes tomorrow night.

I'm still higher on Knox than Sweeney as he is significantly faster and he was playing well up until the injury.  In addition to his own routes, his speed will help with down field blocking as well.

• Like (+1) 1

qsohrz9bjeyw28jlxlw3.jpg

14th Annual Buffalo Bills Training Camp Awards

Most Valuable Player: John Brown

He came in as a widely respected deep threat for Buffalo’s offense, but the full display of his skill set as a receiver showed everyone that he can be dangerous in the short to intermediate areas as well. Brown was the most consistent performer in the two weeks of camp practices at St. John Fisher and will be a supreme value to Josh Allen's development.

Most Promising Player: Josh Allen

This is the second straight camp that Allen was listed here. With a firm command of the offensive system and comfortable as a team leader, Allen’s game should take a sizable leap forward in 2019.

Hon. Mention – Tremaine Edmunds

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't think they want to play Jauron Ball long term, do you? You do that with a limited roster and not very good qb play. Daboll is much more imaginative and Allen at least has potential to be a franchise qb. In any event, Astro seemed very high on the current group in his last notes for camp, which is what I was referring to. He appears sold on them in the same way Shaw66 is and you are one of the dark cloud skeptics by my reading. So sorry if I have mischaracterized your position.

No kidding. I was indicating who I thought a better polar opposite. I didn't say you said that.

Ahhhh! All good then.

Edited by fansince88
  • Like (+1) 1