EJ Gaines out “a number of weeks” (groin) per McDermott

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Plenty of depth behind Gaines, I wish the NFL had a proper disabled list but oh well maybe put him on the PUP to start the year?

I see no reason to outright cut him if his injury carries into the regular season. He'd be a great candidate for PUP and they could decide to settle or activate him later down the stretch. Not sure how guaranteed money would play in here, but it couldn't be too much.

Now if he is back healthy before the season, the may the best make the team 

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I see no reason to outright cut him if his injury carries into the regular season. He'd be a great candidate for PUP and they could decide to settle or activate him later down the stretch. Not sure how guaranteed money would play in here, but it couldn't be too much.

Now if he is back healthy before the season, the may the best make the team 

Given the decent depth behind him I see no reason why they shouldn't just put him on the PUP and save him until deeper into the season when the team might have an injury. 

Teams usually carry 6 corners, I don't see the team having 6 corners better than EJ however you have to make sure he is healthy. 

2 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Actually they have 7 legit DBs: White, Wallace, Hyde, Poyer, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, Neal. Gaines was probably #8.

Gaines' groin injury probably comes as no surprise to the coaching staff.  He was probably signed as depth with the intention of limited playing time.

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Groins and hamstrings.  Once they go, you never really fully recover and they are always vulnerable to re-injury.  Sorry to say, I think its time to move on from EJ.  Just cannot stay healthy consistently.  Its a shame, he plays well when he actually plays.

Can't live with them, can't live without them!

This is why you want good depth at defensive back.  Durability is often a concern, especially for corners (safeties seem to get injured less frequently).  

And the best part?  We have good depth at DB.  That's all on Beane folks. 

In addition, McD's defense doesn't rely on stud corners sitting on an island (although it's certainly nice to be able to lean on one at times with White), so Beane can acquire 3-4 decent guys rather than 1-2 studs without hurting the defense.  

Edited by Capco

This guy is the Trent Murphy of the secondary.

A real shame, because he's a good cornerback. I agree with some of the posters here about putting him on the PUP list. We have very good depth in our secondary, and Gaines can play later.