How important is the Week 1 game against the Jets

I remember with that 2012 Jets loss they did something like fire their OC in the preseason.  They scored maybe one or two touchdowns in the entire preseason.  Then they dropped 48 on us opening day.  That and last years Baltimore loss were just kicks in the gut, I didn't even get to halftime before being deflated.

I think it's important in the sense that it would really send the Jets and their fan base into panic mode and increased pressure. To lose to a division rival in your opener that you feel you're superior to would be a big slap of reality. 

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't buy it.

Let's just concentrate on week one and take it from there.

I say this because this is the LEAST daunting schedule I have ever seen as a Bills fan in my life, as there isn't a game they can't win on the schedule (I don't count NE). 

Projecting a record at this point is silly. All depends if Allen is the man in year two. Then the sky is the limit if he is.

So, one game at a time and see how it plays out.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to be reasonably accurate on schedule predictions as we cannot know how healthy each team is week to week

6 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

In the NFL games can range from meaningless (late season game after the team has missed the playoffs, or has clinched home field advantage throughout) to immediately critical (playoffs or other win or go home games). 

The Bills are slight underdogs to the Jets.  The teams have a couple of  similarities particularly young unproven QBs.  From setting a tempo for the season, I feel as though this game is a bit out sized in importance to the typical week 1 game.  If Allen significantly outplays Darnold and the Bills win, (as I expect), I think Jets fans will be devastated.  Do you think the Jets players will be similarly de-moralized.  In the  unlikely event the situation is reversed, Darnold outplays Allen and the Jets win, I think Bills fans will be pretty disappointed. 

I think starting the season with a division win on the road would be enormous.

I don't think losing the game would be horrible ... unless it's an embarrassing loss.

But a win would be a hell of a shot in the arm to kick things off, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A blow out loss would spell same ole Bills for me.

A close loss and I don't think you can get too upset, unless it's a game they are controlling throughout and some how blow it in the end.

i think i'd be annoyed either way.  not that this game is a gimmie, but it's winnable.  if this team finally wants to take the next step forward, it's games like these they're going to have to take.  it won't be the end to the season, but jesus...the bills need to win these games.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

It's about as close to a must win as a week one game could be. It's a divisional game which is always critical and being that week 1 and 2 are on the road it would set up the season great to go 2 and 0 on the road against less than stellar competition.

To be 2-0 going into the week three home opener.....OMG the crowd will be nutz.....then *NE at home....I hope all th the AEDs have been recently inspected!

11 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I heard it will count as 1/16th of our overall record.

You can look at it any way you want of course. 

But we likely can't lose more than 6 games and make the playoffs.  So a loss to the  Jets means we have spent 1/6 of the games we can afford to lose.  That seems like a steep price against a team that was 4-12 last year. 

Realistically, there isn’t room for both the Jets and the Bills in the playoffs. Assuming the Patriots continue their reign of dominating the AFC East, it’s unlikely that both AFC wildcards come from the same division. The winner of this game is much better positioned than the other for a wildcard spot. 

The fanbase of the losing team of this game will be hurting after this game as both fan bases view this as a winnable game. 

The thinking of some is that if you lose an early game you can make up for it by playing better and winning games later.  I suppose there could be something to that, but the first game of the season counts in the standings at the end of the season just as much as a December game.  Add to that the fact that it's a division game, and I think it's pretty important.  A few pundits think the Jets are a better team.  A win in the Meadowlands on the first game of the season send a message to thos pundits that they might want to rethink their preseason assessments.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The thinking of some is that if you lose an early game you can make up for it by playing better and winning games later.  I suppose there could be something to that, but the first game of the season counts in the standings at the end of the season just as much as a December game.  Add to that the fact that it's a division game, and I think it's pretty important.  A few pundits think the Jets are a better team.  A win in the Meadowlands on the first game of the season send a message to thos pundits that they might want to rethink their preseason assessments.

Right on, but who cares what the pundits think. A Bills victory would do wonders for their confidence. Beating a (so called better) division rival in their own back yard is a great way to start the season.

11 hours ago, corta765 said:

It wasn’t my F it moment but it was probably the hardest reality check I ever had as a Bills fan (being 31I don’t remember much of the early 90s for the bigger reality checks we had). If an NFL team ever wants a look at how quickly the goodwill from an exciting offseason can go away the 2012 Bills Jets disaster is pretty solid proof. Just about everyone jumped off that bus after the game.

I remember distinctly that virtually every national analyst had the Bills as one of the two WC teams thanks to Mario, Fitz play, CJs emergence, and a young team that added a lot of good talent like Gilmore and Dareus. Even Jerry Sullivan had them 10-6 in his preview and a playoff team.

The defeating feeling of watching that game and going from yea they definitely are a playoff team to dear god they’ll be lucky if they win 5 games was unnerving to this day. I had tickets to the home opener against KC the next week which I wanted to give away and would’ve had it not been for my wife who loves the Bills to an undying point who made us go.

The season was encapsulated 6 weeks later when they pissed away an easy win against the Titans before the bye which would’ve got them to 4-3 with a solid look at the playoffs still. Those Chan teams collapsed under the lightest pressure in 2011 & 2012 and the opener in 2012 pretty much defined that time period.

This opener reminds me far more of 2014 where we know the talent is there on the team and it’s a strong opponent that is a good measuring stick. 

Interesting that year the Patriots home game was week 4 and the Jets were the final game of the year.  Just like this year.  

Both years we were coming off 6-10 seasons the year prior with a lot of optimism for the upcoming year. 

As brutally horrible as that Jets game was that year, they did win the next two games and were up 21-7 against the Patriots at home in the 3rd quarter.  But I mean I think after the opener that year we all knew what would happen next 

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You can look at it any way you want of course. 

But we likely can't lose more than 6 games and make the playoffs.  So a loss to the  Jets means we have spent 1/6 of the games we can afford to lose.  That seems like a steep price against a team that was 4-12 last year. 

Sorry, I was actually just joking. In reality, I would love for us to win that game, because it would set a good tone for the season. Plus, I am sick of how the media is all over the Jets once again and I would like to see us take the shine off of them.

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's def winnable.

It's too early a game to say must win or disappointing loss unless they got dominated and blown out, IMO.

Like I said, I expect the Jets to be a pretty decent team this year and for both teams to have similar records at seasons end so a close week 1 loss in their building wouldn't surprise me nor be a terrible loss.

If they lose to the Giants whom I think will be awful then it's another story... 

How would you feel if we blew out the Jets  but lost to the Giants? I've been led to believe that losing non-conference games increases our odds of making the playoffs. :)

On a more serious note, I agree that you can't call week 1 a must win game. I always look at week 1 as somewhat of a wild card.  For example, last year the Bucs shocked  the Saints 48-40 on the road week 1. Saints went on to win 13, Bucs managed 4 more.  

5 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

IMO this is almost a must win game as cliched as that sounds, but I'm very concerned we are going to see a repeat of last year's opener in Baltimore especially since this team has not been very good on the road under McD and also hasn't been very good against the division during his time here. In fact the last meaningful game between both teams we were destroyed and embarrassed in the TNF game a few years ago at the Jets.

Word on the street is that Darnold is looking like a STUD in jets camp and Gase is a much better coach than most realize. I'm starting to dread this game quite frankly.

How can you dread the opening game? We should all be excited. 

Edited by nucci