How important is the Week 1 game against the Jets

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Take a guess who I am.  I won't tell you unless you give me two guesses.

Thats cold! lol... it was a long time ago to remember handles... ummmm LikeI've? 

I'm pretty sure Jay is on here, but he'd have Chevy Chase as his avatar... 

53 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

In the NFL games can range from meaningless (late season game after the team has missed the playoffs, or has clinched home field advantage throughout) to immediately critical (playoffs or other win or go home games). 

The Bills are slight underdogs to the Jets.  The teams have a couple of  similarities particularly young unproven QBs.  From setting a tempo for the season, I feel as though this game is a bit out sized in importance to the typical week 1 game.  If Allen significantly outplays Darnold and the Bills win, (as I expect), I think Jets fans will be devastated.  Do you think the Jets players will be similarly de-moralized.  In the  unlikely event the situation is reversed, Darnold outplays Allen and the Jets win, I think Bills fans will be pretty disappointed. 

you think Bills fans will be disappointed if we lose? Is this a serious post? 

Being that it is 1/16 of the season and an AFCE game it is very important, frankly it is a must win, as is every division game.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Huge W if we win.  Big L for the Jets if we win.

its still week 1 but it could set a huge tone for the whole season.  Still, you need to take every game individually.  I also like bringing the season into 1/4.  Anything 2-2 or better sets you up for success.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I am tired of losing to the Jets in the season opener since I have been a Bills fan.?

1986 (Kelly's first game, so it wasn't much of a big deal losing to the Jets as a TERRIBLE team)

2002 (Bledsoe's first game, a loss in an exciting shootout)

2012 (Majorly disappointed in my team that day)

2017 (FINALLY)

Now let the Bills start an opening day winning streak against those jokers who don't even have a home field.

41 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

yeah that 2012 game.....everyone including the talking heads said it would be an easy win and we got punked.

i think this game is a critical tone setter. we win this one...makes it easier to beat the gmen in the same place and having the first home game against the bengals, we could use the confidence of being 2-0.

that 2012 opener was the last time i let the bills "upset" me.  i was so excited for that year, as i thought it would be the one where we finally snuck back into the playoffs.  the game was a complete disaster.  it was like the bills hadn't practiced all summer.  they showed up only to roll over.  i was pissed, and that was my "f it" moment with this team.  after that, i decided not to let any bills loss bother me.  

this opener has that same feel to me.  not that the bills will roll over, but in the sense that there's a certain importance to it with how the season will unfold.  would a loss ruin the season?  of course not, but a loss may be the closest thing i've had to the bills bother me in a long time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

that 2012 opener was the last time i let the bills "upset" me.  i was so excited for that year, as i thought it would be the one where we finally snuck back into the playoffs.  the game was a complete disaster.  it was like the bills hadn't practiced all summer.  they showed up only to roll over.  i was pissed, and that was my "f it" moment with this team.  after that, i decided not to let any bills loss bother me.  

this opener has that same feel to me.  not that the bills will roll over, but in the sense that there's a certain importance to it with how the season will unfold.  would a loss ruin the season?  of course not, but a loss may be the closest thing i've had to the bills bother me in a long time.

If the Bills come out as flat as a pancake against the Jets on September 8th, I will be every bit as disappointed as I was back in 2012.

The Bills have more talent across the board and the Jets coaching staff will be coaching their first game. Plus, Josh Allen had 5 total TD's against a Gase-coached team (I know it doesn't mean anything).

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Most important game.  We lose we go 9-7 at best.   Take our chances getting into playoffs. 

Bills win and 10-6 is doable. 

I agree with this...It is an enormous game...which I’m already incredibly nervous about.

When you only play 16 games, they are ALL very important. Games vs. divisional foes are DOUBLY important. So yeah, it’s a critical game on the schedule. 

15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Being that it is 1/16 of the season and an AFCE game it is very important, frankly it is a must win, as is every division game.

Go Bills!!!

I Should have read this before I posted my response. Agree entirely.

i think it's a pretty critical game. this team is young and better to get off to a hot start rather than come from behind.  the chargers always seem to start slow and then run the table to playoffs or just short.  we don't have a vet team like that yet.

It's definitely important with it being a divisional game with possible playoff implications later in the season. With both teams being pretty active during the off-season, I think its going to be a close game with our defense showing out. 

22 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i think it's a pretty critical game. this team is young and better to get off to a hot start rather than come from behind.  the chargers always seem to start slow and then run the table to playoffs or just short.  we don't have a vet team like that yet.

aren't they all until you're eliminated from the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

aren't they all until you're eliminated from the playoffs. 

first game of the year against a divisional opponent. i think it's slightly more important than a handful of other games. not incredibly important but slightly more.