How important is the Week 1 game against the Jets

In the NFL games can range from meaningless (late season game after the team has missed the playoffs, or has clinched home field advantage throughout) to immediately critical (playoffs or other win or go home games). 

The Bills are slight underdogs to the Jets.  The teams have a couple of  similarities particularly young unproven QBs.  From setting a tempo for the season, I feel as though this game is a bit out sized in importance to the typical week 1 game.  If Allen significantly outplays Darnold and the Bills win, (as I expect), I think Jets fans will be devastated.  Do you think the Jets players will be similarly de-moralized.  In the  unlikely event the situation is reversed, Darnold outplays Allen and the Jets win, I think Bills fans will be pretty disappointed. 

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Important, but not critical.

Look at how many past SB Champions lost their first game. ?

I think the opponent and the situation with the QBs changes this a bit.  If we were playing the Rams or Eagles away week 1, and lost a close well played game, I wouldn't be distressed by a loss. 

• Like (+1) 2

Jets getting QW in the middle and picking up CJ Mosley is going to change their defense significantly.  Adams behind them thats the best 1,2,3 down the middle of the field in the league on D.

Openers are always big tonesetters for the season, gonna be tough sledding inside on the Jets.  We have some nice upgrades too though, and I think Morse will start.

Bills 23-20

I am tired of losing to the Jets in the season opener since I have been a Bills fan.?

1986 (Kelly's first game, so it wasn't much of a big deal losing to the Jets as a TERRIBLE team)

2002 (Bledsoe's first game, a loss in an exciting shootout)

2012 (Majorly disappointed in my team that day)

2017 (FINALLY)

Now let the Bills start an opening day winning streak against those jokers who don't even have a home field.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsfaninSB said:

Most important game.  We lose we go 9-7 at best.   Take our chances getting into playoffs. 

Bills win and 10-6 is doable. 

I don't buy it.

Let's just concentrate on week one and take it from there.

I say this because this is the LEAST daunting schedule I have ever seen as a Bills fan in my life, as there isn't a game they can't win on the schedule (I don't count NE). 

Projecting a record at this point is silly. All depends if Allen is the man in year two. Then the sky is the limit if he is.

So, one game at a time and see how it plays out.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I am tired of losing to the Jets in the season opener since I have been a Bills fan.?

1986 (Kelly's first game, so it wasn't much of a big deal losing to the Jets as a TERRIBLE team)

2002 (Bledsoe's first game, a loss in an exciting shootout)

2012 (Majorly disappointed in my team that day)

2017 (FINALLY)

Now let the Bills start an opening day winning streak against those jokers who don't even have a home field.

yeah that 2012 game.....everyone including the talking heads said it would be an easy win and we got punked.

i think this game is a critical tone setter. we win this one...makes it easier to beat the gmen in the same place and having the first home game against the bengals, we could use the confidence of being 2-0.

I like to look at the season in quarters and with two road games to start and a Patriots game, we need to be 2-2 at worst. 

I'd like to think we're better than the Jets, as the teams are similar but where they have a dynamic RB, we have the better OL and Secondary.  This is a game that would really help Josh Allen's perception around the league if he can step up in a game of two 2nd year QB's. 

Every game matters, and on top of that, a team we will more than likely be battling it out for a playoff spot with is the Jets.  Having that H2H win early does wonders.  Not to mention the fact that our schedule is MUCH easier in the early part of the year than it is in the later part of the year.  If they want to really have a solid shot at being a playoff team they need to beat the teams they SHOULD beat, and win division games..

Week 1 is a Division game we need to have to start laying the foundation to get into the post season... Assuming we drop 2 games to the Pats as always, we need to beat the Dolphins twice to be at .500 in the division.  The lynch pin for making the playoffs against other contenders will be division record, so we need to beat the Jets at least once probably twice...

If we want a good look at the post season we need 6 to 7 wins in our first 8 weeks... because the second 8 weeks are going to be HELL ish...

@ Jets - Division game against another Playoff Hopeful, MUST WIN

@ Giants - ***** team and a game you SHOULD WIN

Vs Bungles - Team full of injuries and issues with a new coaching staff - SHOULD WIN

Vs Pats - Pats always beat us... upset would be great but let's not plan on it

@ Titans - Under performing team with a QB who is looking down the barrel of being out of a job - Coin flip but hopeful wain

Vs Dolphins - ***** team and a game you SHOULD WIN

Vs Eagles - Very good strong team - probably should lose

Vs Redskins - Middling team without a QB - Should Win

IF you can string together 6-7 wins with only losing to the Pats or the Pats and insert 1 other loss here (probably Eagles, but ideally not a division loss), you only need to win 4 of your next 8, which is a tough road:

@ Browns - Much improved team and generally considered a division contender and playoff contender this year - Should Lose

@ Dolphins - ***** team and a game you SHOULD WIN

Vs Broncos - This is another team that will be battling for a playoff spot with us, not the top of the league for sure, but not bottom either - Coin Flip but hopeful win

@ Cowgirls - Very good football team on the road on Thanksgiving, this will be a hard fought game - Should Lose

Vs Ravens - Good football team that will be a mixed bag of what they bring to the table on offense - Coin Flip but hopeful win

@ Steelers - They're one of the best teams in the AFC and unless they have a sudden decline, they will likely win the division over the Browns, this game will be hard against a playoff contender - Probably lose

@ Pats - LOSS

Vs Jets - MUST WIN 

In the last 8 games, the way I see it, we have 1 "Should win" game, the rest are coin flips or should lose games... It REALLY shows the importance of starting out strong and winning those early games. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, MR8 said:

Every game matters, and on top of that, a team we will more than likely be battling it out for a playoff spot with is the Jets.  Having that H2H win early does wonders.  Not to mention the fact that our schedule is MUCH easier in the early part of the year than it is in the later part of the year.  If they want to really have a solid shot at being a playoff team they need to beat the teams they SHOULD beat, and win division games..

Week 1 is a Division game we need to have to start laying the foundation to get into the post season... Assuming we drop 2 games to the Pats as always, we need to beat the Dolphins twice to be at .500 in the division.  The lynch pin for making the playoffs against other contenders will be division record, so we need to beat the Jets at least once probably twice...

If we want a good look at the post season we need 6 to 7 wins in our first 8 weeks... because the second 8 weeks are going to be HELL ish...

@ Jets - Division game against another Playoff Hopeful, MUST WIN

@ Giants - ***** team and a game you SHOULD WIN

Vs Bungles - Team full of injuries and issues with a new coaching staff - SHOULD WIN

Vs Pats - Pats always beat us... upset would be great but let's not plan on it

@ Titans - Under performing team with a QB who is looking down the barrel of being out of a job - Coin flip but hopeful wain

Vs Dolphins - ***** team and a game you SHOULD WIN

Vs Eagles - Very good strong team - probably should lose

Vs Redskins - Middling team without a QB - Should Win

IF you can string together 6-7 wins with only losing to the Pats or the Pats and insert 1 other loss here (probably Eagles, but ideally not a division loss), you only need to win 4 of your next 8, which is a tough road:

@ Browns - Much improved team and generally considered a division contender and playoff contender this year - Should Lose

@ Dolphins - ***** team and a game you SHOULD WIN

Vs Broncos - This is another team that will be battling for a playoff spot with us, not the top of the league for sure, but not bottom either - Coin Flip but hopeful win

@ Cowgirls - Very good football team on the road on Thanksgiving, this will be a hard fought game - Should Lose

Vs Ravens - Good football team that will be a mixed bag of what they bring to the table on offense - Coin Flip but hopeful win

@ Steelers - They're one of the best teams in the AFC and unless they have a sudden decline, they will likely win the division over the Browns, this game will be hard against a playoff contender - Probably lose

@ Pats - LOSS

Vs Jets - MUST WIN 

In the last 8 games, the way I see it, we have 1 "Should win" game, the rest are coin flips or should lose games... It REALLY shows the importance of starting out strong and winning those early games. 

Wait, wait, wait.....MR8 from BBMB?

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t see a loss as a big deal, unless it’s just a total meltdown like against the ravens. That was demoralizing. As long as it’s a close hard fought game I don’t think a loss kills the season or anything. Of course I am expecting a decent win and Darnold to throw multiple picks and bell to be under 100 scrimmage yards 

17 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Most important game.  We lose we go 9-7 at best.   Take our chances getting into playoffs. 

Bills win and 10-6 is doable. 

This is nonsense.

We can lose opener and still easily be 6-2 by midseason. We can also win it and still be 4-4. 

It will be interesting game though. I expect anything from blowout by any team to tough game until the end. But it won't affect season significantly for neither team. Season is long.

most important of the season imo. it will set the tone going in to the season.

a win against a division opponent as well as a road victory.

a loss would not be detrimental but may prove to be the game that kept them from getting in to the post season or any chance of winning the division.

I believe the first game of the season is a game this team needs to win.

• Like (+1) 2

I must admit I'm on the "must win" side of things here. Beat the F'ing Jets and lets get this party started.

Worrying about losing week 1 is what we've been conditioned to do for two decades. I don't want a win, I want a statement to the rest of the league that we'll beat you and run up the score while we're at it. Don't like it? stop us.