OT - GateHouse Media buys Gannett

7 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://apnews.com/a0409119ab71400b944662fc770593a0

Makes you wonder how much longer Sal Maiorana and Leo Roth will stay at the D&C (and whether the D&C will cover the Bills at all).

Makes me wonder how quickly they will fire Sully at the Niagara Gazette, also a Gannett newspaper.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t get it - why would this change anything?  Newspapers will still need regional content

Because you let the higher priced writers go and hire fresh out of college kids who trust spell check and don’t proofread before they click on publish to website. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Because you let the higher priced writers go and hire fresh out of college kids who trust spell check and don’t proofread before they click on publish to website. 

Ok I get it.  I read a tweet that shared that Gatehouse believes they can save $275-$300M through this merger.  I’m am assuming a big part of the savings are going to come from cutting staff.  

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Also, fact checking. That doesn't matter anymore. The younger "journalists" want to get it first, not right.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wife works at GHM - it’ll be their internal professional staff (i.e. finance, HR, etc.) that’ll be “synergised” more so than the actual journalists, press operators, etc. The things that the combined company now has two of. 

Well it is certain that local journalism just plain isn’t an important commodity in the market any longer, that will just continue to slow slide and not hasten in a meaningful way as a result. 

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Makes you wonder how much longer Sal Maiorana and Leo Roth will stay at the D&C (and whether the D&C will cover the Bills at all).

Gatehouse only does one thing: cut costs. And if the paper doesn't fold, they cut some more next year. It's a dreadful company to work for.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Ok I get it.  I read a tweet that shared that Gatehouse believes they can save $275-$300M through this merger.  I’m am assuming a big part of the savings are going to come from cutting staff.  

It’s gonna be us in sales

16 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Wife works at GHM - it’ll be their internal professional staff (i.e. finance, HR, etc.) that’ll be “synergised” more so than the actual journalists, press operators, etc. The things that the combined company now has two of. 

Well it is certain that local journalism just plain isn’t an important commodity in the market any longer, that will just continue to slow slide and not hasten in a meaningful way as a result. 

Glad I put in my 2 weeks before the announcement of the merger 

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I remember being super excited to read the D&C on Monday's after a game, because the Sports section was usually 3-4 pages of Bills coverage.  Back then, it was Sal, Leo, Scott Pitoniak writing about the Bills and Bob Matthews would usually write a little bit, too.  Now if I'm in Rochester for a Monday after a game (usually around Christmas), the coverage is max 2 pages. it seems the paper has already cut back their Bills coverage quite a bit... Hopefully not too much more.

57 minutes ago, taglientep said:

It’s gonna be us in sales

Glad I put in my 2 weeks before the announcement of the merger 

Sorry to hear this.  I do feel for the respected local journalists like Sal and Leo who have worked in Rochester for decades and now have some uncertainty about their job and profession late in their career.  

Is everyone freaking out?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

They also get all their news from CNN and sometimes flat out lie to promote their own agenda.

28 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Sorry to hear this.  I do feel for the respected local journalists like Sal and Leo who have worked in Rochester for decades and now have some uncertainty about their job and profession late in their career.  

Is everyone freaking out?

Not yet.  This is more of a sales takeover for digital

media.  I don’t think news will be affected much

I'm sure there will be cost cutting moves, but Bills news is as likely as anything to sell newspapers.  The new owners will have someone covering the Bills if not the grizzled veterans.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

12 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Also, fact checking. That doesn't matter anymore. The younger "journalists" want to get it first, not right.

12 hours ago, chris heff said:

Get off my lawn you young journalists!

B5562E5B-BF33-4EA4-9D28-78D6D54BEBBB.jpeg

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My clueless two cents 

Most stories are found on AP or Reuters feeds and just repeated across the country.   

I think subscribers would want is their local flare tossed in there. 

Doesn't (or didn't) Gannett also own the USA today?  

Yes they own USA today

• Like (+1) 1