Barnwell's 5 Teams Most Likely to Improve in 2019

DCOrange

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

because they have Adam Gase who's presided over offense in the bottom half of the league for several years or because they have Gregg Williams whose defense have been in the bottom 3rd of the league for the last several years on multiple different teams? Is is their level of talent on the defense that actually seems to be worse than last season? Is it Sam Darnold who had a higher interception rate than Allen? Maybe it's the Jets offensive line that ranked as badly as the Bills line did last season and the only significant addition was a guy who ranked out lower than their existing terrible lineman?

..but this is you so it probably comes down to "They aren't the Bills"

So I can't speak for Scott but here is how I see the Jets:

- Darnold ended the season looking much improved after his injury and like Allen the arrow was definitely pointing up.

- Their offensive weapons are all guys I like. I think the young tight end (I know he has a 4 game suspension) is a really talented guy, Anderson I have loved since he was at Temple, Enunwa is an underrated player and I was a Crowder fan at Washington. Add in Lev Bell and if he is anything like he was in Pittsburgh they have a dynamic attack. 

- On their offensive line - yes Osemele had a poor season with the Raiders last year.... but the 5 years previous he was one of the elite guards in the NFL. Will he rebound? It is a question mark but he is only 30 and I think there is reasonable grounds to expect he will. They have brought Kalil out of retirement too which should be a significant upgrade at center, even if he is not quite as good as once he was. 

- I like their defensive line talent. McLendon, Williams and Anderson are established vets and Quinnen Williams is a stud. I love the Jachai Polite pick too. If he can keep his nose clean off the field he has the talent to make an impact on it. I had him as a borderline 1st rounder if you ignored the off field stuff. 

- They filled a major need at linebacker with CJ Mosely. He is a huge upgrade.

- They have arguably the best safety combination in the NFL - two absolute studs - and Trumaine Johnson is a good corner who had his best years in the Gregg Williams defense. There is a question at the other corner spot. 

To me, talent wise, that is a 9 or 10 win team. The huge question mark is coaching. I am not a believer when it comes to Adam Gase. I have never bought his reputation as an offensive genius and I think he lacks the character necessary to be a good head coach. He is a sulker who has atrocious sideline body language. There is a lot of potential for an explosive relationship between he and Gregg Williams and the situation feels potentially unstable. 

I also think that while the Jets should absolutely compete with the Bills for 2nd in the division and be a wildcard contender in 2019 they are in a less strong position long term than the Bills are. Paying Bell and Mosely big cash gave them significant upgrades at two positions where they were weak in 2018 but they are not wise long term investments in terms of positional value. Add that to a sketchy coaching situation and a GM who arrived after the Head Coach and a lack of clarity around who really holds the power there and what you are left with is not a situation that is conducive to long term success. But that doesn't preclude them from being good in 2019 and I think they will be. 

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I expect them to. I've said numerous times I think the Jets win about 10 games this year. 

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa

Are your jammies green?    (I kid I kid) 

I can see the JETS improving but not enough to win 10 games. 

1 reason... 2 words

Adam Gase 

2nd reason... 2 words

Gregg Williams

The Giants choice is horrible.   Old Man Eli and no star WR?  

1 hour ago, eball said:

Pretty fair analysis, @GunnerBill -- I think where the Jets really screwed the pooch is in hiring Gase (and Williams).  W1 is going to be such a huge game for both teams.

Week 1 has all the makings of being one of those games that feels like a statement game in the moment but might not actually be one. Seems like both fan bases expect their respective team to be competing for a playoff spot this year (and I don't necessarily blame either group), but the reality is that both were bottom 10 teams last season. Could easily be one of those games where the winning team feels like it was a huge week 1 win only to find that neither team is actually good and it was just one blah team beating another blah team.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Week 1 has all the makings of being one of those games that feels like a statement game in the moment but might not actually be one. Seems like both fan bases expect their respective team to be competing for a playoff spot this year (and I don't necessarily blame either group), but the reality is that both were bottom 10 teams last season. Could easily be one of those games where the winning team feels like it was a huge week 1 win only to find that neither team is actually good and it was just one blah team beating another blah team.

Yea agree. Right now it feels significant. I think more so for the Jets because their schedule is rough early then eases off whereas our is pretty favourable early then gets tougher. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I think there is a higher probability of the Jets turning into "blah" than the Bills, primarily because of the coaching stability and culture already established in Buffalo vs. whatever Gase brings to the table in NJ.

It's a huge game, regardless, because it's a division game.  I do think it's bigger for the Jets because they are at home, and their schedule is a bear early on.  If the Bills lose a tight game I don't think it cripples their confidence, but a Buffalo win starts to put a different perspective in people's minds about this team.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

- They have arguably the best safety combination in the NFL - two absolute studs - and Trumaine Johnson is a good corner who had his best years in the Gregg Williams defense. There is a question at the other corner spot. 

Who's the combination? There's Adams...and? Maye? Is he ever going to play again?

Edited by jeremy2020