Bills working out OL Sam Young

Just now, Ennjay said:

Just wondering . . . at this time of year, 32 teams have 90 roster spots to fill.  When you sign a street free agent that nobody else brought into camp, how good . . .

Somebody has to play the 4th preseason game right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

ObtainingTrent Williams could very well be the difference maker in Beanes valiant attempt to put a good Oline in front of Allen. So far between injuries and talent, the experiment is running into trouble.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

ObtainingTrent Williams could very well be the difference maker in Beanes valiant attempt to put a good Oline in front of Allen. So far between injuries and talent, the experiment is running into trouble.

DOOOOOOOOOOOMED

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

So who starts where?  Trent williams at LT, where do we put dawkins? 

Dawkins becomes the swing tackle, cause after Williams we are trading for Jason Peters and making him left guard (his better natural fit) 

• Haha (+1) 2

I’m rarely a Debbie downer or self proclaimed “realist”...   but I’m thinking the entire o line fate for the season is going to hinge on the neurological state of one very specific really good guy at center.

All the rest can be dealt with and worked around.  Theres no great plan b for center at present. 

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He wasnt projecting to start as I recall 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Didn't he play for us a few years ago? Big white dude?

Yea he was one of the culls from Doug Marrone's starting offensive line. They opened the season in 2013 with Colin Brown at left guard and Sam Young as their swing backup G/T. After week 4 I believe they moved backup C Doug Legursky to LG, cut Brown (who never played in the NFL again) and cut Young (who bounced around as a sub-par backup for a few more years). 

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

Except Williams is frequently injured and would be costly.  He's already under contract with Redskins and, despite all the discussion about his problems with their medical staff, appears to want more money to return.

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m rarely a Debbie downer or self proclaimed “realist”...   but I’m thinking the entire o line fate for the season is going to hinge on the neurological state of one very specific really good guy at center.

All the rest can be dealt with and worked around.  Theres no great plan b for center at present. 

He wasnt projecting to start as I recall 

I don't know much about Feliciano, but Long was a good interior lineman prior to being injured and being forced to play Center for the Jets.  He's healthy now - Not sure if the staff sees him as a potential backup C, along with G.   He has shown the ability to be an average-above average interior lineman when healthy, and has experience at Center.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sadly, this. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't know much about Feliciano, but Long was a good interior lineman prior to being injured and being forced to play Center for the Jets.  He's healthy now - Not sure if the staff sees him as a potential backup C, along with G.   He has shown the ability to be an average-above average interior lineman when healthy, and has experience at Center.

Good centers matter. Wood wasn’t even elite, but decent and for his entire career the run game and even pass pro just wasn’t the same with a back up. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Looks like the starting 5 is starting to form - but the backup swing tackle job will be up for grabs.  I think if dawkins or nseckhe were to miss time you would move ford into that spot, but that just creates a hole at RG.  Sometimes its better to leave the unit intact in situations like that.

15 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

To be honest, I wasn’t even sure Waddle was going to make the team. Young will be a serviceable camp body I assume. 

I agree with you.  He was not one of the top 8 linemen.  The three guys capable of playing tackle are Dawkins, Nsekhe, and Ford.  These three will be on the roster.  Ford may very well play guard but will be moved to right tackle if one of the other two guys miss games.  Nsekhe would move to left tackle if Dawkins is injured.  This looks to be a reasonable rotation.  IMHO, other than Morse and Spain the other three roster spots appear to be wide open.  I also expect a young developmental tackle to be on the practice squad.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Where the hell did this come from??

• Like (+1) 2