Astro Notes 8-4

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Well-written. Astro's wit connects in this one.

Especially for the over 50 crowd with the Rockettes reference and possibly the "Ain't too proud to beg" reference if it was the Temptations and not TLC. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Is Boettger taking reps at Center?  Is that new?

I like this idea.  

I really like the idea. Boettger has some nice potential and taking snaps at center really helps his push to make the team. I think he's a good fit there as a really smart kid with the right amount of nasty to his game. Hope it works out. 

52 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really like the idea. Boettger has some nice potential and taking snaps at center really helps his push to make the team. I think he's a good fit there as a really smart kid with the right amount of nasty to his game. Hope it works out. 

Personally, Boettger > Teller. I'm keeping my five starters:

Dawkins

Spain

Morse

Long

Ford

Then my two key swing guys:

Nsekhe 

Feliciano

Then my developmental guy:

Boettger (who has played all 3 positions)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I like this.  Boettger has some potential.   He had some plays last preseason where he really stood out.   Very strong, versatile frame.   

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't trust Ford at RT.

By all accounts the guy has struggled there so far in camp and not sure he project season well there long term.

I like Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe.

I am not a big Nsekhe guy, but I am absolutely fine with him starting at RT in the event they just feel Cody isn't ready. I'm less convinced by immediately moving Cody inside to guard. I am going to have a look at Cody at right tackle in live action at some point this year if that is the position I drafted him to play, before I determine he has to slide inside. 

So in the scenario where Nsekhe starts, I am just flipping he and Ford on my list. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally, Boettger > Teller. I'm keeping my five starters:

Dawkins

Spain

Morse

Long

Ford

Then my two key swing guys:

Nsekhe 

Feliciano

Then my developmental guy:

Boettger (who has played all 3 positions)

I'd like for Teller to get another year.    Your list is my preference as well but I figure one of the free agent signings will probably end up on IR and Boettger and Teller will both have a chance to stick.    My guess is the Morse contract will prohibit them from extending Spain (if he plays well) so going to need a LG next year probably.   Maybe that's Boettger.   If Boettger could handle center that would be great.    He's a big, strong, mean dude.   Pretty decent with his hands.  I hadn't considered it because he's very tall.   

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd like for Teller to get another year.    Your list is my preference as well but I figure one of the free agent signings will probably end up on IR and Boettger and Teller will both have a chance to stick.    My guess is the Morse contract will prohibit them from extending Spain (if he plays well) so going to need a LG next year probably.   Maybe that's Boettger.   If Boettger could handle center that would be great.    He's a big, strong, mean dude.   Pretty decent with his hands.  I hadn't considered it because he's very tall.   

Yea. Or someone like Feliciano has some trade value elsewhere if another team loses a starter? I'd be open to flipping he or Long for a late pick and keeping Teller another year. I just wonder if he will ever have the technique for it, he has the size - no doubt. The technique is my worry. 

12 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

"RayRay’s hair is also on point, with nice dreads. Bodine shows how useful he can be, getting the blocking sleds out for the OL pre-preactice. "

:lol:

I just can't imagine Bodine making this final roster if both Long and Feliciano (and perhaps Boettger) can backup at C.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I just can't imagine Bodine making this final roster if both Long and Feliciano (and perhaps Boettger) can backup at C.

I agree, though, if Morse is out for an extended time I think they keep him. As much as Bodine sucks, he's still better than probably 10-12 starting centers in the NFL. If Morse is healthy I do think he is gone. 

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree, though, if Morse is out for an extended time I think they keep him. As much as Bodine sucks, he's still better than probably 10-12 starting centers in the NFL. If Morse is healthy I do think he is gone. 

Really? I think he is the Jordan Mills of NFL centers. Probably better than most teams' backup but probably worse than almost every team's starter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Really? I think he is the Jordan Mills of NFL centers. Probably better than most teams' backup but probably worse than almost every team's starter. 

I don't think there is a lot of difference in either opinion...........I think PFF had Bodine rated around 20th and when you are the 20th center you are a lot closer to 30th best than 10th best regardless of what the math indicates.    There is typically a cutoff of precipitous nature in the teens when it comes to positions that aren't very well stocked in the NFL.   Center is one of those it just isn't as valuable a position because there is help from the guards in most offenses.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think there is a lot of difference in either opinion...........I think PFF had Bodine rated around 20th and when you are the 20th center you are a lot closer to 30th best than 10th best regardless of what the math indicates.    There is typically a cutoff of precipitous nature in the teens when it comes to positions that aren't very well stocked in the NFL.   Center is one of those it just isn't as valuable a position because there is help from the guards in most offenses.   

Yea that is probably fair. I think the most important part of what a center does is the mental / leadership part than the physical part. We saw that when Bodine replaced Groy last year. He wasn't much different physically, but he could set and adjust protections and Groy couldn't. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that is probably fair. I think the most important part of what a center does is the mental / leadership part than the physical part. We saw that when Bodine replaced Groy last year. He wasn't much different physically, but he could set amd adjust protections and Groy couldn't. 

When Long's hand wasn't injured was he a decent C?