LaAdrian Waddle carted off of practice - out for season with torn quad, placed on IR

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

After reading some of these posts, I had to run outside to make sure the sky hadn't fallen.  During the preseason we all seem predisposed to jump to the worst conclusion when injuries occur.  Until there is an official injury update, I will just chill.  It's ironic that people whined when Waddle was signed and now many of us are distraught over an undefined injury to a guy that may not even crack the roster.  Such is the life of the poor downtrodden Bills fan.  Go Bills!

Well, you just dont get it do ya! We have to stay near the ledge when things like this happen. Tomorrow is another day.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it was Beane on NFL Radio’s Moving the Chains show just last week saying that quality O-lineman replacements after the first quarter of the season are almost impossible to find.   McDermott also stated last week in an interview in the Athletic that you build a team from the lines out.  They both understand the value of the big guys in the trenches.

I think this is why we will end up keeping an extra O-lineman on the 53 at cut down time at the expense of a WR or RB or some other position.  I think if we try to stash any of our recently signed free agent O-lineman on the practice squad they will immediately get scooped up by other teams. Injuries on the O-line are going to happen and Beane and McDermott are not going to let the Bills and Josh fall into O-line hell again this season.

The Bills could do what another team did for a player signed off our PS - pay the player the full season rate on PS not the PS minimum and player choose to stay on PS.

1 hour ago, Wnybricky said:

If Waddle is lower in the depth chart could it be better for him to be hurt until after cuts? 

Interesting take. ?

Hoping the injury is relatively minor, going on IR til mid season gets him healed up, keeps him on the team and provides a healthy OL for the season’s second half. I expect a valued WR/TE prospect may experience a difficult to diagnose ailment which may lead to the same..

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

He just want off the Bills. He’ll be released with injury settlement then return to New England. 

what gives you this impression?  He (and his wife) seem to have embraced this team with open arms.  Glad we have depth on the O-line this season, but these injuries are definitely putting that to the test.

I'm wondering if the large number of issues they've been incurring on the O-Line will impact how many O-Linemen they end up keeping.  I think we all were projecting 8-9, but if they're really worried about sufficient depth with this rash of injuries they may keep 10, which mean they'll need to trim back elsewhere.

There was already thought they could carry 4 RB plus a FB, and 6 - 7 WRs depending if they keep 6 Plus Roberts as a special teams ace, or 6 including him....

Only 53 spots, it's going to be interesting seeing how they juggle this roster down to that and balance their injuries and depth concerns.

Also more in alignment with the purpose of the thread, I hope Waddle is okay and on the mend!  Good competition and depth across every position is key for camp and preseason.

4 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I'm wondering if the large number of issues they've been incurring on the O-Line will impact how many O-Linemen they end up keeping.  I think we all were projecting 8-9, but if they're really worried about sufficient depth with this rash of injuries they may keep 10, which mean they'll need to trim back elsewhere.

There was already thought they could carry 4 RB plus a FB, and 6 - 7 WRs depending if they keep 6 Plus Roberts as a special teams ace, or 6 including him....

Only 53 spots, it's going to be interesting seeing how they juggle this roster down to that and balance their injuries and depth concerns.

Also more in alignment with the purpose of the thread, I hope Waddle is okay and on the mend!  Good competition and depth across every position is key for camp and preseason.

Lets see how many miss the 3rd pre-season game first.  I think many of these are training camp injuries.  If this were regular season, they'd sit out most of the mid week practices, come back Thursday limited and be ready to go on Sunday.

If any do become an extended thing and it's someone they do like, could see them IR'ing him to hide him without cutting him.

• Like (+1) 1