"1917" Trailer

Mark Vader

12 minutes ago, stony said:

Weird trailer, but looks solid.  Strong cast, good director.  

Doesn't show a lot, which can be good, but it conveys enough to give you an idea of what it's about.

I'm interested.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

All wars have their own kind of hell but WWI must have been especially hellacious. There were some “advancements” in weapons but still brutal person to person fighting was called upon. An ugly war. 

I remember learning about the meaning of the word "paradox" during history class when discussing WWI. They were still using horses to transport supplies and such, but right along side them were these new found killing machines called tanks. 

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I remember learning about the meaning of the word "paradox" during history class when discussing WWI. They were still using horses to transport supplies and such, but right along side them were these new found killing machines called tanks. 

Exactly; or that the advancements in weaponry were not matched by sufficient advancements in field medicine—still way too many men lost their lives over wounds in after action that today would be considered eminently survivable. 

11 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Exactly; or that the advancements in weaponry were not matched by sufficient advancements in field medicine—still way too many men lost their lives over wounds in after action that today would be considered eminently survivable. 

Every war to present date those numbers are going down till we will be fighting a war from outside DC via drones, etc... Probably already happening now. Commute into work, fight a war.

We need @mead107 to step up his game and bring his MeadRobots into the field!!!

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Was Christmas Day 2019 picked for a reason... In reference to the famous truce in 1914... And other soldier induced truces throughout (especially during early stages) of the War, even on various other days of the year.

Symbolic.  Seems an odd day to release a movie.

??? 

Oscar deadline.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

If one is interested in WWl and hasn't read "All Quiet on the Western Front", I'd recommend it.

It's factual, written in the era and not a laborious read.

It was required reading in my History of Western Civ class, many moons ago.

This movie looks well done.

Sort of a "Saving Private Ryan" set to a WWI theme.

Seems a bit too much "Gallipoli" but I'll give it a try.

18 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm intrigued by the first world war, so this is a must

If you have not already done so, watch "They Shall Not Grow Old" by Peter Jackson (documentary available for streaming at Amazon.com) and listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Podcast series "A Blueprint for Armageddon."  It's 6 parts and many hours long.

You'll thank me mightily when your'e done! 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This movie looks well done.

Sort of a "Saving Private Ryan" set to a WWI theme.

Seems a bit too much "Gallipoli" but I'll give it a try.

If you have not already done so, watch "They Shall Not Grow Old" by Peter Jackson (documentary available for streaming at Amazon.com) and listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Podcast series "A Blueprint for Armageddon."  It's 6 parts and many hours long.

You'll thank me mightily when your'e done! 

Thanks for the recommendation

18 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

That was World War 2.  The first fully motorized army was actually the British, shortly before the war.  The US Army didn't get rid of horses until 1942 (there was horse cavalry in the Philippines.).  Every other combatant used horses until the end of the war - most German artillery was horse-drawn, and because of limitations of the Eastern theater, the Russians used horse cavalry in "Calvary-Mechanized Groups" to great effect, and didn't get rid of cavalry until 1947.  

Side note: Patton, as a second lieutenant, designed the last US cavalry saber - the Model 1913 Patton sabre.  He also had a tank named after him: the M47 Patton.  He's probably the only person in history to have cavalry equipment and an armored vehicle named after him (suck it, MacArthur!)  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Side note: Patton, as a second lieutenant, designed the last US cavalry saber - the Model 1913 Patton sabre.  He also had a tank named after him: the M47 Patton.  He's probably the only person in history to have cavalry equipment and an armored vehicle named after him (suck it, MacArthur!)  

Wow, that's crazy. What a difference between eras.