WR battle heading into first preseason game

10 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I agree with most of this, but if you've been to training camp and seen Sills, it is one heck of a stretch to call him "big bodied". He's got stringbean genes, man. He is tall, but very wiry. Needs a year of PS and some heavy lifting and tons of wings to bulk up a bit. 

You are not kidding.  The WRs were on the far side of the practice field near the bleachers.  He was so skinny he looked out of place on a football team.  From that view it is also obvious about the smurf reference.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Early in the year I checked Yeldon's Special Teams snap count on Pro Football Reference.

It showed he didn't play ST.

Do you have any info on his ST play?

sorry, i was going by what i heard from murph and tasker. i thought it was yeldon but maybe it was in fact perry.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, 3rdand12 said:

i apologize i do not know why the passion for Mcloud.

Pretty much every reporter at camp has noted RayRay's improved attitude, physique, and performance, and McD specifically named him during a recent PC.

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

sorry, i was going by what i heard from murph and tasker. i thought it was yeldon but maybe it was in fact perry.

It's all good.  Truthfully I was a little disappointed that Yeldon didn't have any ST experience.

It seems to me if he wants to make the team as the 4th RB he needs to get more snaps somewhere.

Probably was Perry, he is suppose to be a ST standout.

13 hours ago, eball said:

Pretty much every reporter at camp has noted RayRay's improved attitude, physique, and performance, and McD specifically named him during a recent PC.

Thanks E !

here's hoping he continues improving. was raw last year for sure.
 these are the things that give me hope about Bills Scout team. Since Beanes Boys have come on.. these late rounders and undrafted kids have kept me interested. and make us keep an eye on them. here Ray us showing in his second year of Camp. That's pretty alright

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's all good.  Truthfully I was a little disappointed that Yeldon didn't have any ST experience.

It seems to me if he wants to make the team as the 4th RB he needs to get more snaps somewhere.

Probably was Perry, he is suppose to be a ST standout.

Perry has been noted as a standout.

Yeldon needs to consider expanding his resume

: )

good kid and player. Like him

but always some one  some how can push you off a team and unemployed. Make your self needed T Yeldon !

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

McKenzie looked great tonight. Wondering how this all shakes out. Could Andre Roberts end up being the spare part? Would love to see Christian Wade return a few kicks now.

Ain't no way they get rid of Roberts in my opinion but I'd like to see much more of Wade as well.

It's going to be RayRay OR McKenzie. Can't see any way they keep both, even though I'd very much like to. Only way that would happen *I think* would be to trade/cut both Zay and Foster.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:21 AM, billsredneck1 said:

i'm pulling for duke. they know they need that  big body redzone guy.

Man I'm pulling for Duke too but he's seemingly even more fringe at this point. Unless they roll with him strictly for his size? Allen is tall but can they really keep Beasley--RayRay?-McKenzie? 

I guess he's only an inch taller than Zay but damn Zay seems so much smaller to me. Maybe the big will be Tommy Sweeney.

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

It's going to be RayRay OR McKenzie. Can't see any way they keep both, even though I'd very much like to. Only way that would happen *I think* would be to trade/cut both Zay and Foster.

Yeah completely agree. Coach seems to love both RayRay and McKenzie, but hey I guess that's the culture. McKenzie would get the nod right now from me.

Agree on Roberts too, they brought him here for a reason. Just throwing him out there as a curveball really since they seem to have so many quick, shifty dudes right now. Assuming Roberts and McKenzie both make it then Foster has got to be the most at risk, it would seem to me. Maybe McKenzie is the natural odd man out and I'm overrating him, but damn he just seems to always make plays.

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah completely agree. Coach seems to love both RayRay and McKenzie, but hey I guess that's the culture. McKenzie would get the nod right now from me.

Agree on Roberts too, they brought him here for a reason. Just throwing him out there as a curveball really since they seem to have so many quick, shifty dudes right now. Assuming Roberts and McKenzie both make it then Foster has got to be the most at risk, it would seem to me. Maybe McKenzie is the natural odd man out and I'm overrating him, but damn he just seems to always make plays.

Based on last night's game performance - I agree it's McKenzie all day. But apparently RayRay's been tearing it up during TC practices. Roberts. just being who he is as an all-pro returner, and getting serious reps at WR to boot, makes me think he's perfectly safe. Only one I've heard who's been sh***** it up consistently this year is Foster.

I don’t see what Zay brings to the table. Seems like a nice guy, but he just never seems to be ready for the moment, I think the NFL game is just too big for the small school product. Josh needs dependable WRs, but Jones continues to show us he is the polar opposite. It’s definitely not uncommon to swing and miss on a 2nd round WR, and I can’t think of another who has been afforded more opportunities to succeed, and just continues to literally drop the ball, now 3 years in. He is the Nate Peterman of WRs, when does he run out of chances?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I don’t see what Zay brings to the table. Seems like a nice guy, but he just never seems to be ready for the moment, I think the NFL game is just too big for the small school product. Josh needs dependable WRs, but Jones continues to show us he is the polar opposite. It’s definitely not uncommon to swing and miss on a 2nd round WR, and I can’t think of another who has been afforded more opportunities to succeed, and just continues to literally drop the ball, now 3 years in. He is the Nate Peterman of WRs, when does he run out of chances?  

As far as chances go, he's probably on his last couple. So who else gets axed then? Lotta other drops in that game last night besides Zay's. Some guys ONLY dropped the ball, didn't make any catches. We cutting them too, right?

I don’t think McKensie, or McCloud made a strong enough push to lock up a #6 spot on this offense. After tonight, I think there is a better chance of only carrying five WRs. If we do only carry five WRs, I think Senorise Perry makes this team. And, I’m good with that.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

As far as chances go, he's probably on his last couple. So who else gets axed then? Lotta other drops in that game last night besides Zay's. Some guys ONLY dropped the ball, didn't make any catches. We cutting them too, right?

Well the WR position is still far from deep.  Foster, you know he’s not going to catch everything, but he breaks those big plays so you deal with it and just hope he continues to improve.

Brown and Beasley are both proven commodities.

After that who knows, it is possible Zay makes the team due to overall lack of talent at the position but I could also see Cam Phillips taking his spot.  Phillips routinely stands out throughout camp and made his time on the field count Thursday.  Still two more meaningful preseason games, but I think the WR group on the final 53 could definitely be Brown, Beasley, Foster, Phillips, Roberts, McCloud/McKenzie.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don’t think McKensie, or McCloud made a strong enough push to lock up a #6 spot on this offense. After tonight, I think there is a better chance of only carrying five WRs. If we do only carry five WRs, I think Senorise Perry makes this team. And, I’m good with that.

Thought Mckensie had some nice catches and a nice return...definitely a positive night for him imo.

Are people seriously still suggesting that Zay Jones might be cut?

McKenzie needs to be on the team/field. He makes plays and looks every bit as dangerous as he did last year. Remember, Beane wanted him for a long time.

McCloud to the practice squad.

Edited by The Bills Blog

51 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Are people seriously still suggesting that Zay Jones might be cut?

McKenzie needs to be on the team/field. He makes plays and looks every bit as dangerous as he did last year. Remember, Beane wanted him for a long time.

McCloud to the practice squad.

I dunno about “people”, but I sure as ***** was... Yeah I forgot, WRs who fail top total 1000 yards in two seasons combined, while serving as the top WR option are totally untouchable... cutting a WR who has completely failed to live up to his potential would be unfathomable in the league, totally unprecedented!!! Especially when they have trouble with their primary responsibility, ya know, actually catching the football...

3 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I dunno about “people”, but I sure as ***** was... Yeah I forgot, WRs who fail top total 1000 yards in two seasons combined, while serving as the top WR option are totally untouchable... cutting a WR who has completely failed to live up to his potential would be unfathomable in the league, totally unprecedented!!! Especially when they have trouble with their primary responsibility, ya know, actually catching the football...

Dude, Zay Jones is not a bust. I almost feel like people expected him to be a top-end #1 or something. They view him through that lens and that's why they're upset. But Zay is a mid-high-end #2 WR and would be the same on many many teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Dude, Zay Jones is not a bust. I almost feel like people expected him to be a top-end #1 or something. They view him through that lens and that's why they're upset. But Zay is a mid-high-end #2 WR and would be the same on many many teams.

Zay still makes the same mental lapses and shows the same stone hands at times just as he did his rookie year. I like the guy, but I think I'm starting to see him more for what he is. He cost the team a first down on the opening drive and basically a TD on a dime throw by Josh Allen. You can't be doing these types of things, especially when the regular season starts. 

• Like (+1) 1

\

2 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I've been disappointed with him because his main strength in college was catching the damn ball and winning 50/50 balls.  He's yet to show that here.  He's a very good route runner and Josh Allen and him developed a chemistry last year so he pry makes the team.  He needs to step up though.