WR battle heading into first preseason game

1) Brown

2) Jones

3/Slot) Beasley

4) Foster 

5) OPEN

6) Roberts - Being mixed in as WR, but still primarily a Special Teamer

From all reports that #5 spot is looking like Ray Ray McClouds, but the battle isn't over yet fellas.... while TC is wrapping up as they enter Preseason games, this is where the guys like Duke Williams and David Sills are going to shine more.  Both are big bodied WRs which is something this roster will not have without them.  They are high point jump ball threats who won't wow you with their top end speed like Brown, Foster or McKenzie, but their catch radius and hand skills getting free from defenders will.

When Williams was signed, Beane said that is when he felt he didn't need to go and get a WR in the draft.  They had a lot of faith in him as a player to feel that way... Then as has become famous from Bills Embedded, they made Sills far and away their #1 target in UDFA... so they really wanted him too, at the very least as a developmental project.

At current, WIlliams is a more polished product right now as he played in the CFL And honed his game, where Sills is much more raw... but Sills has WAY more growth potential left in him...

These guys won't stand out as much in shorts and helmets as they will with pads on in live game action... their skill sets are more conducive to being "Gamers" than practice studs...

I am VERY curious to see if either of them stands out and makes a name for themselves to really start pushing to make this roster, or if they're going to stay left behind in the dust.

As of right now the reports are that Williams hasn't been remarkable, and Sills has dropped a few too may balls and looked a little off balance running routes.  Could still be nerves, but both need to right the ship if they want a shot at that last spot on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Dump Dimarco and keep 7 WRs. 

Dimarco is a lock and always has been. Do you expect a 7th WR to add more value to the team than a core special teamer AND someone who gets playing time on offense?

Not sure where all the Dimarco hate came from, but all indications are that the coaches and players love him. He was a captain.

Is it just bad practice to carry a FB these days? Maybe we should be more like the Superbowl champion Patriots ... oh wait ... they carry a FB too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Dimarco is a lock and always has been. Do you expect a 7th WR to add more value to the team than a core special teamer AND someone who gets playing time on offense?

Not sure where all the Dimarco hate came from, but all indications are that the coaches and players love him. He was a captain.

Is it just bad practice to carry a FB these days? Maybe we should be more like the Superbowl champion Patriots ... oh wait ... they carry a FB too.

I would've agreed if they didn't have so many darn issues with health at TE.  If Kroft, Croom, and Knox weren't all hurt (some worse than others) I could easily see them looking to run an H-Back system for when they want a blocker back there, and when they don't keep a TE on the line to block as necessary.  

However their top 3 TEs have all been hurt, and Kroft will likely miss the start of the season.  Lee Smith is a great blocking TE, but he's also slow and not a threat in any other way, so he's less than Ideal for anything but pass blocking... you can't really roll with him as your #1 TE.

I don't see them cutting DiMarco when they don't have a viable healthy H-Back, and their TE position is in shambles... they're going to want to keep a FB to make sure they can spring the running game to take pressure off Allen in the passing game.

Of course that's my opinion, and last year the stats showed DiMarco was not used much... but he was still on the roster... 

Could be wrong, but I think they keep him at least for part of the season until they get Kroft back healthy.  Then they may get more creative with a healthy set of TEs who can run, catch, and block.   

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

From what Astro has said they have worked both McCloud and McKenzie as both returners and gunners. Will be very interesting to see who is out there on teams on Thursday. Roberts will be the #1 returner and it appears Siran Neal will get first shot as their primary gunner. 

1 hour ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I think everyone is assuming that because Ray Ray is ahead on WR play he beats out McKenzie, but McKenzie brings a different skill set on offense, and Special Teams plays a bigger role in these decisions than us fans usually assume.

There's going to be eleven guys on the field on every special teams play. So far, we've only heard a handful of names. But, considering how lousy our ST play was last season, I have to assume that there will be a concerted focus on ST this season.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A decent FB?

The guys useless. Special teams ace for a special teams unit that was god awful last season. *****, put Lee Smith at FB if you have to. 

If it came down to keeping an extra OL/WR or Dimarco and his useless offensive status, I'm taking the extra WR/OL hands down......especially considering the extent to which the starters at OL/WR get nicked up over the course of a season.

And for the umpteenth time, I'm glad you're not making the personnel decisions at OBD.  You're right, though -- your favorite team doesn't care about ST either, as they let Andre Roberts get away.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Dump Dimarco and keep 7 WRs. 

3 hours ago, eball said:

Sound strategy -- jettison a ST ace and decent FB for a guy who might see the field once every three games.

Well Patrick DiMarco did a bruising on a number of JEST players last year.  Think that might have something to do with it?

On 8/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t think they keep 5.  If Roberts is getting work at WR, I can see them keeping Ray Ray because he can takeover as a returner - though he was atrocious last season

RRM listed as an option as a returner fwiw on first depth chart out of camp 

On 8/4/2019 at 2:28 PM, K-9 said:

I really like McKenzie as his insertion into the lineup last season paid immediate dividends as Daboll sought to get more quick twitch and speed in the lineup. I’m rooting for the kid.

That said, if he’s cut, it will be for all the right reasons. And something tells me Andre Roberts is going to announce his arrival as a legit WR threat in this league.

I can see both counts. Mac and Roberts.

who can still qualify for PS ? regardless of whether they are more likely than not to be picked up ?

For me ? That's the tricky bit.

If Croom gets healthy and has developed he might nearly equal a WR. They lined him up outside last year looking for mismatches.

How many can they put on temp IR. to hide  lol

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I can see both counts. Mac and Roberts.

who can still qualify for PS ? regardless of whether they are more likely than not to be picked up ?

For me ? That's the tricky bit.

If Croom gets healthy and has developed he might nearly equal a WR. They lined him up outside last year looking for mismatches.

How many can they put on temp IR. to hide  lol

I think if it comes down to Roberts or MAC, it’s Roberts hands down. But I don’t think it’s gonna come down to that as I think Roberts is already our 5th. I’m thinking it’s between Mac and Ray Ray.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think if it comes down to Roberts or MAC, it’s Roberts hands down. But I don’t think it’s gonna come down to that as I think Roberts is already our 5th. I’m thinking it’s between Mac and Ray Ray.

i apologize i do not know why the passion for Mcloud.

and you can set him in PS as well i believe, just in case.

A. Roberts has done well so far by everything i have read.

i still want a list of PS candidates : )

This is a GMs job to manage all the potential we suddenly have at WR etc  this year.

good fun to ponder !

but still early...

looking forward to the upcoming Pre season game 

Go Bills !

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

He'll get snatched up the moment he is cut. Teams will line up for him. I think he's making the team. He just showed too much last year to not make it this year. The question is how much playing time he'll get.

Brown, Beasley, Jones, Foster, Roberts, and Ray-Ray. Maybe Sills to the practice squad.

But there's a long way to go, and unfortunately injuries might happen and be a deciding factor in this WR competition.

True, but I would add there is 0% chance Foster would get cut.  Beane would trade him before cutting him as there would absolutely be a market for Foster.  

Not saying he's gonna get a bounty, but Beane is the same guy who got a 3rd and a 5th for 2 QB's that weren't good, were about to be cut, and going to teams who didnt need a QB (TT and AJM).  

I also think the odds of Foster not being here this year are quite low

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MR8 said:

1) Brown

2) Jones

3/Slot) Beasley

4) Foster 

5) OPEN

6) Roberts - Being mixed in as WR, but still primarily a Special Teamer

From all reports that #5 spot is looking like Ray Ray McClouds, but the battle isn't over yet fellas.... while TC is wrapping up as they enter Preseason games, this is where the guys like Duke Williams and David Sills are going to shine more.  Both are big bodied WRs which is something this roster will not have without them.  They are high point jump ball threats who won't wow you with their top end speed like Brown, Foster or McKenzie, but their catch radius and hand skills getting free from defenders will.

When Williams was signed, Beane said that is when he felt he didn't need to go and get a WR in the draft.  They had a lot of faith in him as a player to feel that way... Then as has become famous from Bills Embedded, they made Sills far and away their #1 target in UDFA... so they really wanted him too, at the very least as a developmental project.

At current, WIlliams is a more polished product right now as he played in the CFL And honed his game, where Sills is much more raw... but Sills has WAY more growth potential left in him...

These guys won't stand out as much in shorts and helmets as they will with pads on in live game action... their skill sets are more conducive to being "Gamers" than practice studs...

I am VERY curious to see if either of them stands out and makes a name for themselves to really start pushing to make this roster, or if they're going to stay left behind in the dust.

As of right now the reports are that Williams hasn't been remarkable, and Sills has dropped a few too may balls and looked a little off balance running routes.  Could still be nerves, but both need to right the ship if they want a shot at that last spot on the roster.

I agree with most of this, but if you've been to training camp and seen Sills, it is one heck of a stretch to call him "big bodied". He's got stringbean genes, man. He is tall, but very wiry. Needs a year of PS and some heavy lifting and tons of wings to bulk up a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I agree with most of this, but if you've been to training camp and seen Sills, it is one heck of a stretch to call him "big bodied". He's got stringbean genes, man. He is tall, but very wiry. Needs a year of PS and some heavy lifting and tons of wings to bulk up a bit. 

That's definitely a good point, I am more referring to his catch radius and height, but it's fair to say he needs to get stronger... 14 reps at the combine wasn't worst but certainly wasn't the best either.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

That's definitely a good point, I am more referring to his catch radius and height, but it's fair to say he needs to get stronger... 14 reps at the combine wasn't worst but certainly wasn't the best either.  

Height and catch radius, absolutely! Check and check.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, 3rdand12 said:

so a rough guess as to the WR's by rank and position.

we know the 3  locks.

Brown Beasley and Jones.
#4 Foster ?

Maybe the TE situation allows an extra WR to start the season ?
and all the RBs might affect the 53 as well.

Hope Daboll has a flexible plan and finds the right guys for his schemes

i'm pulling for duke. they know they need that  big body redzone guy. if he comes on strong games 3 and 4, i  think he'll make it. the guys that start out the first couple good not so much....ie. brandon reilly. they talked about this yesterday on obl.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

True, but I don’t think Yeldon is trending towards making it to be on the final 53 IMO.  

yeldon is a star special teamer. they will roll with 4.

19 hours ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t see much of him

he was behind a couple of guys who got drafted high and the qb wasn't the greatest. plus dabol was his coach there. i can't give names without looking it up, but that's the story.

foster ain't going anywhere. i think they'd be foolish not to have him and brown on the outside together. they can rotate jones and beasley, but it think we'll see a lot of 4 wide sets.

sprinkle in the duke in the redzone. i don't think they will use roberts that much at wr except maybe like an andre holmes type spot duty.

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

yeldon is a star special teamer. they will roll with 4.

Early in the year I checked Yeldon's Special Teams snap count on Pro Football Reference.

It showed he didn't play ST.

Do you have any info on his ST play?