WR battle heading into first preseason game

18 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

McKenzie was an impact player last season, so to see him out of position to make the team is kind of shocking, especially because it seems due to McCloud's rise. NO ONE saw that coming. Credit to McCloud.

Wild card here... Foster might be in trouble.

I saw it coming.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, ST is important to Beane in these roster spots and he said so during the offseason in some post draft comments.  

The one thing going for Cam though is that he’s apparently been making lots of highlight type catches too, one handed catches, catches in traffic, etc.  That carries over into live games and he could really up his chances.  

Cam Phillips still has a chance for sure and they kept him around all year to work with him last year so they like him. Not sure if he has played any on teams. That will be something I pay special attention to on Thursday. 

Still am where I was pre-camp though. McCloud or McKenzie. Winner of that battle is the 6th guy. 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cam Phillips still has a chance for sure and they kept him around all year to work with him last year so they like him. Not sure if he has played any on teams. That will be something I pay special attention to on Thursday. 

Still am where I was pre-camp though. McCloud or McKenzie. Winner of that battle is the 6th guy. 

Heading into first preseason game it appears Ray Ray has a sizeable lead on McKenzie.  But put on game film from last year, and McKenzie was significantly better than Ray Ray. 

So while I think Ray Ray has the certain momentum of the two, he still has to show it in live games before McKenzie falls out of the race.  I just didn’t add him into the favorites yet because Ray Ray and Cam have had the most buzz in that group thus far, but yeah he’s certainly in it and McKenzie has a leg up on ST value too I would think.  

Sure is nice to have ave so much depth at so many positions this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

All I know is if foster doesn't make it, it'll be the first decision of this regime I'll have serious questions about it.

He earned at least a shot to show what he can do in a new season, and some guys just do better when the bullets are “live.”

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I never really understood the love for Ray Ray, except his name and hair.  At Clemson I thought he was pedestrian.  

The praise out of training camp, while unexpected to me based on mr view of him, is very encouraging and I’m excited to see the little playmaker weave his way.  Sounds like he’s the favorite at the moment.  I’d put McKenzie as next in line.  He has speed and explosion that the others lack

Just watch tape of Ray Ray's few plays last year.  He was pretty bad. We just gotta keep Brown, Beasley, Foster and Jones healthy. Because of injuries it would be foolish to keep only 5.

IMHO 6 receivers will be on the 53. The top five guys seem to be fairly straightforward.  I think some of us are going to be surprised on the sixth guy.  I think it will be one of the taller guys that can work the end zone and sidelines.  Earlier in the spring, Beane talked about having a receiver group that consists of guys that do different things well.  Keeping four quick short receivers doesn't exactly provide that.

The preseason games will do a lot to solve this.  It is nice to have talented options this year.  Personally, I won't be upset regardless of who the sixth guy is.  You can make a good case for a couple of different ones.

• Like (+1) 2

I really think four receivers are a lock right now - Brown, Beasley, Foster and Roberts.  I bet the Bills trade Zay during the preseason (if not he goes in as WR#4).  From what I am reading, McCloud takes WR#4 and then #5 is up for grabs with the most likely candidate Duke Williams (I know he hasn't done much in camp to date, but his large frame makes him a red zone threat and more versatile on special teams).  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

IMHO 6 receivers will be on the 53. The top five guys seem to be fairly straightforward.  I think some of us are going to be surprised on the sixth guy.  I think it will be one of the taller guys that can work the end zone and sidelines.  

I totally disagree. It will be a quick twitch, gadget and slot guy. 

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

So you think four of the receivers will be small, quick guys.  Beane's comments don't lead me to believe that.  I guess we'll know in a few of weeks.

I think that is what Daboll's offense calls for - yes. And I think ultimatley they will pick the best 5 plus Roberts, regardless of style. At the moment the two bigger guys have Ray Ray, Cam Phillips and Isiah McKenzie ahead of them on the depth chart according to every report we see from camp in terms of time with the 1s. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is what Daboll's offense calls for - yes. And I think ultimatley they will pick the best 5 plus Roberts, regardless of style. At the moment the two bigger guys have Ray Ray, Cam Phillips and Isiah McKenzie ahead of them on the depth chart according to every report we see from camp in terms of time with the 1s. 

We haven't really seen much about who is participating in ST. I feel like this could be the difference in how many WRs we carry.

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dump Dimarco and keep 7 WRs. 

This seems to be less likely as TC has progressed. McD/Beane certainly seem to value him. I'm not sure how Daboll views him.

19 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

We haven't really seen much about who is participating in ST. I feel like this could be the difference in how many WRs we carry.

From what Astro has said they have worked both McCloud and McKenzie as both returners and gunners. Will be very interesting to see who is out there on teams on Thursday. Roberts will be the #1 returner and it appears Siran Neal will get first shot as their primary gunner. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

From what Astro has said they have worked both McCloud and McKenzie as both returners and gunners. Will be very interesting to see who is out there on teams on Thursday. Roberts will be the #1 returner and it appears Siran Neal will get first shot as their primary gunner. 

I think everyone is assuming that because Ray Ray is ahead on WR play he beats out McKenzie, but McKenzie brings a different skill set on offense, and Special Teams plays a bigger role in these decisions than us fans usually assume.

22 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

All I know is if foster doesn't make it, it'll be the first decision of this regime I'll have serious questions about it.

He'll get snatched up the moment he is cut. Teams will line up for him. I think he's making the team. He just showed too much last year to not make it this year. The question is how much playing time he'll get.

Brown, Beasley, Jones, Foster, Roberts, and Ray-Ray. Maybe Sills to the practice squad.

But there's a long way to go, and unfortunately injuries might happen and be a deciding factor in this WR competition.