WR battle heading into first preseason game

24 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Dude, Zay Jones is not a bust. I almost feel like people expected him to be a top-end #1 or something. They view him through that lens and that's why they're upset. But Zay is a mid-high-end #2 WR and would be the same on many many teams.

Lol, we traded up for stonehands when Juju was available.   

Trash move from Beane 

I like Cam Phillips, he looks more like a WR than McKenzie or McCloud, but those two are very explosive and can return punts and kicks. McKenzie showed last night why they traded for him.

Those three players will have to battle for that last spot at the WR depth chart (the sixth spot)

Brown

Beasley

Jones

Roberts

Foster

There are going to be a lot of good players the Bills will have to let go when it comes down to cut time, which is a good thing if they make the right choices !

The WR group this year is far & away much better than it was last year & i bet the Pats are sitting just waiting to see who the Bills cut so they can steel them I really would like to see Stills stick they need a big target & i'm afraid that if he gets cut the Pats will scoop him up if they try to get him on the practice squad .

It should be interesting to say the least !!

On 8/9/2019 at 6:37 AM, H2o said:

Zay still makes the same mental lapses and shows the same stone hands at times just as he did his rookie year. I like the guy, but I think I'm starting to see him more for what he is. He cost the team a first down on the opening drive and basically a TD on a dime throw by Josh Allen. You can't be doing these types of things, especially when the regular season starts. 

If Whaley had made the call to draft him he wouldn't be here but McDermott put that name on the card at the recommendation if his terrible WR coach hire.   F'ing Phil McGeoghan hire still haunting him.

Fans get excited about pedestrian WR's in the preseason.........it's just what they do.........if the WR corps was actually good then Zay would be fighting for the last spot not getting run with the 1's.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:08 AM, ScottLaw said:

Not even sure the drop last night was a mental lapse.

Dude was afraid to get hit by the safety. He turned his head to look at the safety right as the ball hit him in the hands resulting in the drop. Can't be afraid to take a mean hit if you want to be a good WR in this league. 

If he catches the ball and/or even just stays on his feet the refs are going to throw a flag if he takes a hit up near the head.   He didn't get the call because he flopped to the ground making it almost impossible for the defender to not hit him high.   Rookie level mistake by Zay.   Hate to see that in year 3.   A veteran possession receiver should be prepared for this type of play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Zay in a nutshell is a slot receiver with questionable hands. He brings a few things to the table, namely route running. I just don't think it's enough. When you look at the guys on the depth chart not expected to be big time contributors, they all do something extremely well. Zay does not have a specialty, so he's really JAG. He'll probably make the team because of the investment placed in him, but I don't see him sticking in the league. I was HOPING a quiet offseason and an improved physique would improve Jones confidence issues, but I certainly didn't see that in game 1. There's just something missing from his game and it LOOKS like confidence. He pretty much never snatches the ball with authority and turns upfield. They'll give him 2019 to improve, but my expectations are low.

Edited by LSHMEAB