Bills Training Camp Practice Day 9 (8/4)

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

hills and valleys

Exactly. That, and Allen is a 2nd year going against what is shaping up to be one of the most dominant D’s our franchise has seen in over a generation! All of the lessons he learns now, will pay off in spades for the regular season, imho. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

All because he has a couple bad sessions at practice? Nice leap to the negative

15 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

All because he has a couple bad sessions at practice? Nice leap to the negative

Its bound to happen.  Some people are definitely "What have you done for me lately " type of people.  

17 minutes ago, McBean said:

Allen will have his days.

Besides, this is freakin practice. Who cares

THIS ^^^

PLUS - There is a pre-season game on Thursday. I bet we don't see a whole lot of our #1s getting much field time.

Many of these changes and substitutes are likely preparation for Thursday. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Its bound to happen.  Some people are definitely "What have you done for me lately " type of people.  

I could be wrong, but it seemed like there were more positive reports about JA the first few days of camp...and he seems to have had several negative reports the last few days- including a few reports saying they were his worse practices to date...I haven’t been to camp, but just based on the reports.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was at camp today. I don't go most years, so being there gave me a new perspective on training camp reports. I guess the narrative of the beat reporters was that Allen was off today. I didn't feel that way at all. Not that he was consistently on fire or anything and he started off slow, but by the time final team drills rolled around he was more than fine.

Just as an example, in one 11-on-11 drill, Allen threw a beautiful dime about 35 yards down field to John Brown in very tight coverage running a post to the sideline. It was really a spectacular throw and catch. I didn't see any of the usual reporters on Twitter mention that throw, which I thought was weird.

Another example - there was a lot of negativity on Twitter around a pick that Allen threw to Poyer where he supposedly underthrown McKenzie. Unless I was seeing things the defense jumped Offside and Allen was just throwing it up for grabs. I clearly saw a d-lineman jump before the snap on a hard count. After Poyer intercepted the ball Allen still made a little "move the chains" motion with his arm. I check Twitter and the beat reporters are talking about an underthrown interception. Weird.

In the final 2 team drills Allen was mostly throwing short passes and I thought he looked very sharp on those. I actually don't remember a single short pass that he was off target on. That was one of his weaknesses last year so I was happy to see that. Again, I didn't see anyone on Twitter talking about those drills at all. Beasley is going to be a stud in this offense. He catches everything.

And being at camp gave me a new level of disrespect for tracking completion percentage at practices. The offense isn't getting in any kind of rhythm, they're running around to different drills that cover different game situations. At one point Allen and Barkley were alternating reps with the 1st team offense. Thad Brown might just be more astute than me, but tracking completion percentage for that drill is nonsense.

Anyways I'm no expert at watching football drills but I was surprised by how different my perceptions were.

A few other notes:

-I didn't see Zay Jones at all after the 1-on-1s. I think he was standing on the sideline for most of the team drills. If he was ever playing in the drills, I didn't see him make any plays.

-Barkley looked sharp with the 2nd team. I feel very comfortable with him as the backup.

-I thought Tyree Jackson showed some good signs today. Clearly a work in progress but he made some nice short throws. He had a brutal interception early on but nothing else that was shockingly bad.

-The wide receiver combos are all over the place. After Beasley and Brown I couldn't tell you who #3 is. I saw Roberts get a bunch of reps, but Phillips did as well. Both had a few nice plays with the 1st team offense.

-You don't need to see 91 on his jersey to pick out Ed Oliver. The guy is so quick off the snap. He appears to be a full time starter at this point, with Phillips getting rotated in a fair amount.

Context. What a concept!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was at camp today. I don't go most years, so being there gave me a new perspective on training camp reports. I guess the narrative of the beat reporters was that Allen was off today. I didn't feel that way at all. Not that he was consistently on fire or anything, and he definitely started off slow, but by the time final team drills rolled around he was more than fine.

Just as an example, in one 11-on-11 drill, Allen threw a beautiful dime about 35 yards down field to John Brown in very tight coverage running a post to the sideline. It was really a spectacular throw and catch. I didn't see any of the usual reporters on Twitter mention that throw, which I thought was weird.

Another example - there was a lot of negativity on Twitter around a pick that Allen threw to Poyer where he supposedly underthrew McKenzie. Unless I was seeing things, the defense jumped Offside and Allen was just throwing it up for grabs. I clearly saw a d-lineman jump before the snap on a hard count. After Poyer intercepted the ball Allen still made a "move the chains" motion with his arm. I check Twitter and the beat reporters are talking about an underthrown interception. Weird.

In the final 2 team drills Allen was mostly throwing short passes and I thought he looked very sharp on those. I actually don't remember a single short pass that he was off target on. That was one of his weaknesses last year so I was happy to see that. Again, I didn't see anyone on Twitter talking about those drills at all. Beasley is going to be a stud in this offense. He catches everything.

And being at camp gave me a new level of disrespect for tracking completion percentage at practices. The offense isn't getting in any kind of rhythm, they're running around to different drills that cover different game situations. At one point Allen and Barkley were alternating reps with the 1st team offense. Thad Brown might just be more astute than me, but tracking completion percentage for that drill is nonsense.

Anyways I'm no expert at watching football drills but I was surprised by how different my perceptions were.

A few other notes:

-I didn't see Zay Jones at all after the 1-on-1s. I think he was standing on the sideline for most of the team drills. If he was ever playing in the drills, I didn't see him make any plays.

-Barkley looked sharp with the 2nd team. I feel very comfortable with him as the backup.

-I thought Tyree Jackson showed some good signs today. Clearly a work in progress but he made some nice short throws. He had a brutal interception early on but nothing else that was shockingly bad.

-The wide receiver combos are all over the place. After Beasley and Brown I couldn't tell you who #3 is. I saw Roberts get a bunch of reps, but Phillips did as well. Both had a few nice plays with the 1st team offense.

-You don't need to see 91 on his jersey to pick out Ed Oliver. The guy is so quick off the snap. He appears to be a full time starter at this point, with Phillips getting rotated in a fair amount.

This is certainly refreshing to hear...starting to wonder if some of the journalists reporting at camp are seeing things through a negative light, with regards to JA- similar to the analytics crowd...anyway, thanks for the post ?

• Like (+1) 5

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was at camp today. I don't go most years, so being there gave me a new perspective on training camp reports. I guess the narrative of the beat reporters was that Allen was off today. I didn't feel that way at all. Not that he was consistently on fire or anything, and he definitely started off slow, but by the time final team drills rolled around he was more than fine.

Another example - there was a lot of negativity on Twitter around a pick that Allen threw to Poyer where he supposedly underthrew McKenzie. Unless I was seeing things, the defense jumped Offside and Allen was just throwing it up for grabs. I clearly saw a d-lineman jump before the snap on a hard count. After Poyer intercepted the ball Allen still made a "move the chains" motion with his arm. I check Twitter and the beat reporters are talking about an underthrown interception. Weird.

I mentioned on the board from the two practices I went to at SJF last week - there were multiple times where the play was whistled dead or completely blown up and Allen just threw the ball up like "screw it".  The interceptions in that scenario were bogus - but still I didn't feel like that was a great habit to get into honestly.  I also went Friday - my impression with Josh from viewing those three practices was there was good and bad - but also that he didn't look particularly sharp overall - inconsistent to be sure.    I'm not worried yet - it's still early and there is time for things to come together.   I'm most interested to see how things go in the preseason against other defenses - in situations where real drives are trying to be put together.

I agree it is ridiculous to keep stats in the practice situations.

It is interesting to go live and compare to what other people report.  There were some things even Astro reported (opinion wise) that I didn't necessarily see for the practices I went to.  But that is why even for real games, which everyone sees the same broadcast, there still are disagreements between people on how different players performed. 

Edited by stevewin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I mentioned on the board from the two practices I went to last week - there were multiple times where the play was whistled dead or completely blown up and Allen just threw the ball up like "screw it".  The interceptions in that scenario were bogus - but still I didn't feel like that was a great habit to get into honestly.  I also went Friday - my impression with Josh from viewing those three practices was there was good and bad - but also that he didn't look particularly sharp overall - inconsistent to be sure.    I'm not worried yet - it's still early and there is time for things to come together.   I'm most interested to see how things go in the preseason against other defenses - in situations where real drives are trying to be put together.

I agree it is ridiculous to keep stats in the practice situations.

It is interesting to go live and compare to what other people report.  There were some things even Astro reported (opinion wise) that I didn't necessarily see for the practices I went to.  But that is why even for real games, which everyone sees the same broadcast, there still are disagreements between people on how different players performed. 

I like the habit of taking a shot when the defense jumps offside, even in practice.  You want the WR’s to develop the habit to run the full route every time, even on a flagged play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I like the habit of taking a shot when the defense jumps offside, even in practice.  You want the WR’s to develop the habit to run the full route every time, even on a flagged play. 

The situations I was referring to weren't what you are describing - free shots from Offside etc.   They were dead plays where they whistled the play dead for sacks etc. - or plays that were completely blown up.  There were a lot of those plays/whistles (the defense being dominant), and from being there and seeing Josh multiple times just throw up brutal passes in those situations, it really didn't come off at all as a positive play  

Edited by stevewin

9 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Will we get an Astro report today?

Astro's parting words on Aug 1st were...

"I’m indisposed for the Friday 6:15 practice at New Era, but I’ll see you for Sunday’s practice at 2:45 back here at Fisher, and for Tuesday Aug. 6 practice at 9:45.

Stay thirsty, my BillsMafia friends."

• Haha (+1) 1