Willis McGahee retiring as a Raven

HOUSE

10 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yep. I was stunned when Donahoe picked him. It's stupid choices like this one that kept the Bills down for 20 years

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And Roscoe Parrish.  It was TD always tried to make the flashy move.  The worst part is Ralph have him plenty control and after he got fired, Ralph took back control. 

McGahee played three seasons with the Bills.  Rushing yards were 1128, 1247 and 990.  He missed two games in those three years.

Then the Bills traded him and he had another 1,200 yard season the next year.

How, exactly, was this a bad pick?  Seems to me that it was stupid to trade him away (for a 3rd and a 7th).

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

McGahee played three seasons with the Bills.  Rushing yards were 1128, 1247 and 990.  He missed two games in those three years.

Then the Bills traded him and he had another 1,200 yard season the next year.

How, exactly, was this a bad pick?  Seems to me that it was stupid to trade him away (for a 3rd and a 7th).

Because they had a 25 year old rb who just had seasons of 1,438 and 1,356 rushing seasons, rb is the easiest position to find and silly to spend high picks on (especially when you have a good player) and could have had Dallas Clark instead, and they had to waste a year on his rehabbing.  It was a stupid pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Retirement party to be held at Applebee's.  Cash bar.

IMO, McGahee was a much better pick/player than he's given credit for here.

CJ Spiller?  Now THAT was a stupid pick.

Not really.  It was a bad pick when the team had Travis Henry.  McGahee was a decent RB about never at the level where you could justify the pick

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

McGahee was traded to the Baltimore Ravens before the 2007 season

The Bills received third and seventh round picks in the 2007 NFL Draft and a third round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.[15]

The value they received for Willis was really not great.  The Bills makeshift front office was just as incompetent in 2007 as they were in 2010 under Buddy Nix.

By the time they wanted to trade Willis, they have zero leverage and everyone knew it and lowballed them with offers.  So they had to take the best of the worst offers and probably should have done a little better.  

The same happened with Marshawn Lynch, and the return that Nix got for him was flat out disgusting.  Plus Marshawn went on to be an All-Pro.  Buddy seems to be regarded as an “okay” to “good” GM by the fan base which is comical.  He was really bad, maybe worse than Russ Brandon!!!

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Not really.  It was a bad pick when the team had Travis Henry.  McGahee was a decent RB about never at the level where you could justify the pick

I don't think the Bills were wrong to not view Travis Henry as a long term solution.  This was one of the few times during that dark period that they were actually ahead of the curve.  Sadly, the same can't be said for Travis' 9 baby mamas, or whoever got caught up in his cocaine trafficking ring.

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

He was a good, not a legendary RB for the Bills.  I don't know that he was ever really happy as a Bill.  I don't know that he could leave fast enough.  It's always interesting to me that Frank Gore was his predecessor at Miami.

4 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

McGahee never wanted to be here. Didn't he say that Buffalo was boring? He couldn't find enough to do at night?

Here is Gore still going at it!

Uh... Frank Gore was after McGahee.

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Just like Bledsoe, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Willis was a Ralph mandate.

Wasn't Spiller a Ralph mandate?  I kinda remember him giving a presser defending the selection, because at the time we had Lynch and Jackson and there was a lot of flak for the Spiller pick.  

43 minutes ago, Capco said:

Wasn't Spiller a Ralph mandate?  I kinda remember him giving a presser defending the selection, because at the time we had Lynch and Jackson and there was a lot of flak for the Spiller pick.  

Chan Gailey was the one who spoke of wanting a "water bug" pre draft:

On paper, the Buffalo Bills have one of NFL's most impressive backfields. Fred Jackson rushed for over 1,000 yards last year.  Marshawn Lynch did it each of the previous two seasons and went to a Pro Bowl.  But there's one significant problem with the Bills' running back depth chart.  It stops at two.

With that in mind, Bills head coach Chan Gailey said Tuesday morning at the NFL owners meetings that adding another back will be a priority in the draft along with the offensive and defensive lines and a wide receiver.

"I don't mean to insinuate we'd take a running back with the first pick," Gailey told me.  "Right now, we only have two running backs on the roster.  We've got to start to upgrade there in some way, shape or form."

Gailey has a prototype in mind, a complement to the size and power Jackson and Lynch offer.  "There's some good running backs in the draft this year different than what we've got. So change of pace, again, might be something you could do there with a different type of player.  The guys that are coming out now, there's a bunch of those 5-9, 185-pound or 195-pound, quick-as-a-cat water bugs that are running backs-slash-receivers that might give you a little bit of a punch on the field, maybe make a big play."

https://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11889/gailey-wants-to-draft-a-scatback