Willis McGahee retiring as a Raven

HOUSE

Related image

On Friday morning, the Ravens announced that McGahee, who spent four of his 11 NFL seasons (including one in which he didn't play due to injury) in Baltimore, will sign a one-day contract while officially retiring as a Raven. 

McGahee burst onto the national scene during his final season at the University of Miami, rushing for 1,753 yards and 28 touchdowns while helping the Hurricanes, the defending national champion, make a return trip to the BCS National Championship Game in January of 2003. During Miami's double-overtime loss to Ohio State, McGahee sustained a devastating knee injury that put his draft status in major jeopardy. 

Despite the injury, the Buffalo Bills selected McGahee with the 23rd overall pick in that year's draft. Following a year of rehab, McGahee rewarded the Bills by rushing for 1,128 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2004 while leading Buffalo to a 9-7 record. 

After two more fruitful seasons in Buffalo, McGahee signed with the Ravens as a free agent during the 2006 offseason. In his first year in Baltimore, McGahee earned his first Pro Bowl appearance, rushing for over 1,200 yards and scoring seven touchdowns.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/willis-mcgahee-retiring-as-a-raven-after-spending-four-of-his-11-seasons-in-baltimore/?fbclid=IwAR3O4V-Ig-HG2MaUS0Xc0zRUuJ00KBRiXNehdZAJ7rnisTL8cgAs0gbemF8

Edited by HOUSE

I wouldn't say I associate McGahee with any team in particular. This is the kind of thing usually reserved for beloved players who had long, storied careers with one team, then spent their twilight years elsewhere. It also tends to happen in a timely manner, not 5-6 years after you have played. Does anyone in the Baltimore FO even have a history with Willis?

Whatever, happy trails. Wish I could have retired in my 30's with millions in the bank. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thought he retired already tbh. 

He had an 11 year career and was drafted in 03. He had to be done at least five years ago. I didn’t realize he was still trying to play for him to officially announce his retirement. 

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Good for him, but it is a damn shame he wouldn't retire as a Bill

He was a good, not a legendary RB for the Bills.  I don't know that he was ever really happy as a Bill.  I don't know that he could leave fast enough.  It's always interesting to me that Frank Gore was his predecessor at Miami.

• Like (+1) 1