AFC or NFC QBs?

Which conference do you think has stronger QB play? Like many have said, the tides are changing. With that in mind, it is certainly interesting to look at the long term projection for AFC/NFC QBs. 

Note: For this process, I’m looking at a players career and situation as a whole, including past, present and future.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

AFC-

Untouchables: Brady

The Greats: Ben, Luck, Rivers, 

It is what it is: Carr, Dalton, Flacco, Mariota, Foles

Up and Coming: Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Mahomes, Rosen, Jackson, Watson

Conference Summary: 4 upper echelon QBs, a hand full of veteran guys who stare mediocrity down the barrel, and 7 young guns, some of which have the potential to be greats. 

NFC-

Untouchables: Brees, Rogers

The Greats: Eli, Russell, Newton

It is what it is: Ryan, Stafford, Cousins, Winston, Prescott, Garoppolo

Up and coming: Wentz, Haskins, Trubisky, Murray, Goff

Conference Summary: 5 upper echelon QBs, 3 of which are on their way out the door. 6 that I could care less for. 5 up and coming, young players that the jury is still out on. 

Findings and Thoughts: 

The AFC has the brighter group of young, up and coming players IMO. Mahomes leads the wAy with his stellar breakout year. Allen, Darnold, Mayfield and Watson have all shown potential to be game changers and carry a team. Rosen and Jackson round out the class, carrying potential, but in a less than ideal situation for both. Though this group is collectively less experienced and developed than the NFC, I think they hold the torch. The NFC young guns, lead by MVP hopeful Wentz, has a pocket of more established players with some complete unknowns. Wentz, despite his MVP caliber play at times, cannot stay healthy. Goff and Trubisky have both taken huge strides in the right direction. How much of that improvement was schematic (McVay) or feeding off of a fantastic defense? The rookies I have little hope for. I think they’re positioned in sub-par situations (specifically, Haskins) and are in for a troubling couple of years. 

In 10 years from now, how many of those AFC or NFC guys will still be around, sitting on top of the "Untouchable" or "Great" categories? 

So what say you? Do you disagree with my assessments of current and projected careers? Do you feel similarly or differently to my view of the AFC QBs? 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Eli's a great? Not any more. And I wouldn't include Cam as a great, either.

OMG - seriously.  Eli is hot garbage - among the worst in the league right now.  Even when he was winning his two SB's he was hardly "great".

Cam may be poised for a good year, but yeah, he's only average lately.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

...ho disrespect, but never thought of him as a great QB....sure he has two rings....solid?...yes....great?...no......and now in the twilight....Peyton led the way and Eli was better than Archie IMO.....

I have trouble with Matt Ryan being just mediocre, and Eli and Newton being "greats."  Goff and Wentz are somewhere between the "greats" and "is what it is" category.  Trubisky is still fairly young, but I can't help but feel like he should still be in the "is what it is" category.  All that being said, plus my personal belief that Rosin, Haskins, and Murray don't have a snowballs chance in hell of being great due to their situations, especially their offensive lines, and I have to agree with you.  The future is much brighter in the AFC than the NFC.

However, you do mention that in the NFC there are 5 upper echelon QBs, 3 on their way out the door, but the same is true in the AFC.

I just don’t agree with the list. 

The Legends:

AFC - Brady

NFC - Brees, Rodgers

Elite:

AFC - Mahomes, Luck

NFC - Wilson

Very Good:

AFC - Ben, Rivers, Baker, Watson

NFC - Ryan, Cousins, Cam, Stafford

Good:

AFC - Dalton, Carr, Foles

NFC - Wentz, Goff, Trubisky, Dak, Jimmy G

Bad:

AFC - Mariota, Flacco

NFC - Eli, Jameis

Unproven:

AFC - Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Jackson

NFC - Haskins, Murray 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Legends:

AFC - Brady

NFC - Brees, Rodgers

Elite:

AFC - Mahomes, Luck

NFC - Wilson

Very Good:

Good:

Bad:

AFC - Mariota, Flacco

NFC - Eli, Jameis

Unproven:

NFC - Haskins, Murray 

....now boil it down to the recent incoming crop for comparatives to get a look at what to expect going forward...gives us a better long term comparative of AFC vs NFC.....

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Eli had a few solid and great years leading of course to Super Bowl victories. These accomplishments certainly solidified him as great quarterback during those seasons, but his play was too sporadic over the years.

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Legends:

AFC - Brady

NFC - Brees, Rodgers

Elite:

AFC - Mahomes, Luck

NFC - Wilson

Very Good:

Good:

Bad:

AFC - Mariota, Flacco

NFC - Eli, Jameis

Unproven:

NFC - Haskins, Murray 

Trying to iron it down into many specific categories gets even trickier. Are you going off of the QBs current abilities? Wentz is equal in skill to Dak? Mahomes had one, albeit FANTASTIC year, but is elite? 

I still think Goff, trubisky, Mahomes, etc are still as unknown as, say, Allen. You can project their career path based on a small sample size but the Law of Large Numners tells us it's not a great prOjextion. 

Regardless of your classifications, I'll still take the unproven AFC QBs than NFC

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Trying to iron it down into many specific categories gets even trickier. Are you going off of the QBs current abilities? Wentz is equal in skill to Dak? Mahomes had one, albeit FANTASTIC year, but is elite? 

I still think Goff, trubisky, Mahomes, etc are still as unknown as, say, Allen. You can project their career path based on a small sample size but the Law of Large Numners tells us it's not a great prOjextion. 

Regardless of your classifications, I'll still take the unproven AFC QBs than NFC

Come on.  If you throw 50 tds, you’re elite.  I can see Goff and MT not taking it to next level but to compare them to Allen at this point is just silly.  

• Like (+1) 2

Back to the drawing board.

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Legends:

AFC - Brady

NFC - Brees, Rodgers

Elite:

AFC - Mahomes, Luck

NFC - Wilson

Very Good:

Good:

Bad:

AFC - Mariota, Flacco

NFC - Eli, Jameis

Unproven:

NFC - Haskins, Murray 

Luck isn't elite. Rivers is. Jimmy G is still unproven. Mayfield is still unproven (no winning seasons, no playoff appearances, not even a full season of starts under his belt).

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Back to the drawing board.

Luck isn't elite. Rivers is. Jimmy G is still unproven. Mayfield is still unproven (no winning seasons, no playoff appearances, not even a full season of starts under his belt).

Luck isn’t elite??? Dear Lord. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Luck isn’t elite??? Dear Lord. 

Nope. You need consistent production to be elite. He had a good year. He's a good QB. If he can put another season together like that, we can put him in the elite category. This time last year people were wondering if his career was over.

The exception is Mahomes who had an MVP season.

Edited by MJS

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Come on.  If you throw 50 tds, you’re elite.  I can see Goff and MT not taking it to next level but to compare them to Allen at this point is just silly.  

Why is it so difficult to imagine regression from a quarterback? You think that level of play is sustainable? I'm not arguing with your assessment that he has a tremendous first year. But it still was a single season and that doesn't necessary grant you similar status to Tom Brady. He has lots to prove 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nope. You need consistent production to be elite. He had a good year. He's a good QB. If he can put another season together like that, we can put him in the elite category. This time last year people were wondering if his career was over.

The exception is Mahomes who had an MVP season.

He had seasons of 39, 31, and 40 tds and lead a crappy Colts team to the playoffs Almost every year he’s been healthy.  If healthy, he’s elite.  I don’t even think it’s a debate. 

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Why is it so difficult to imagine regression from a quarterback? You think that level of play is sustainable? I'm not arguing with your assessment that he has a tremendous first year. But it still was a single season and that doesn't necessary grant you similar status to Tom Brady. He has lots to prove 

It’s 50 tds!!! I wasn’t a big fan of the Allen pick.  If gets 50 tds, I will place him as elite.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Iron Maiden said:

Maybe a bit off topic....but why does Matt Ryan gets pooped upon consistently...I think the guy is close to elite....

I think we would view him differently if he beat the Pats. He was part of that choke job and I will never see him the same way.