Baker Mayfield doing Baker Mayfield things (at an Indians game)

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not claiming Rosen is a bust, or Allen will make it. I just find it odd to single out Jackson. That was my point. I think some people have had some odd vendetta against him on this board eversince he chose to have his mom as an agent.

I don't think he can throw the ball, maybe that's what Gugny was referring to. But some people have a problem with his personality that strikes me as odd.

His whole pre-draft process was definitely marching to a different drummer in several regards, including the social media he put out.  He seems to be somewhat shy and was not always well spoken.  But he also dealt with a ton of crap that the other QBs didn't have to handle at all - pundits saying he should switch positions and all that.  He was a Heisman winner and a finalist - as a QB! ferpetesake.  He did it his way, and it worked out for him, resulting in his being drafted in the 1st round by a team that committed to him at QB.

Jackson has flaws in his passing game.  But so does Allen.  Jackson can make a lot of yards with his feet.  But so can Allen.  Whether both, one, or neither of them manage to become a franchise QB is 10% the support and personnel they get to work with, and 85% something hard to quantify - the "fire within", how much they personally want it and how much effort they put into becoming that Franchise Man.

Jackson has had comments from TC observers saying he's showing more poise, accuracy and an all-over improved skill set, including in a practice with the Jags:
"In joint practice with Jags, Lamar Jackson was 15-of-22 (68.1 percent) during 7-on-7/team drills. Jackson started off hot, connecting on 9 of his first 10 throws before tailing off. Overall, he's throwing the ball with a lot of confidence in training camp. - Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) August 5, 2019
"
Lamar Jackson was really good today vs. the Jaguars. He opened full-team drills by completing 5-straight passes, with three of them going to targets covered by Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey.- Garrett Downing (@gdowning14) August 5, 2019"

I thought his initial TC media interview was endearing - he straight-out acknowledged he was horrible last year "lots of ducks".  I thought he faced the press with a lot more confidence and spoke up much better - he's been practicing that, too.  But it was clear from the team during their playoff loss last year that he's got the team; whatever his communication issues are, they don't hinder him a bit in the locker room.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think Rosen is still a possibility, although from what's been reported from MIA camp thus far, I'm less sure about that possibility.

I'd bet my house that Jackson's not a starter on any team by 2021.

Just realize there are people who'd be happy to make the same bet about Allen, and for a bunch of the same reasons.  The same people who sneer at Jackson's 57% college completions, can and should sneer at Allen's 56% college completions.  The same people who look down on Allen's college 187 ypg, got some 'splainin to do why Jackson's 238 college ypg proves he can't pass - if Allen can. 

I personally think Allen > Jackson in QB development, but we'll see - I'm not ruling Jackson out for fundamentally the same reasons I get crabby at people who want to rule Allen out.

But since pictures speak louder:
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/camp-highlight-lamar-jackson-throws-dime-to-mark-andrews-for-td-vs-jags
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/camp-highlights-ravens-qbs-air-it-out-vs-jaguars

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Outspoken is cool, but ripping another QB seems pretty dochey.  But overall he’s a fun guy to root for, so good for Cleveland fans.

Daniel Jones would have been a winning QB at Oklahoma, but he decided to stay at Duke instead of transferring like someone else did.  (TTech and Baker)

No idea if Jones will pan out, but an idiotic thing for Mayfield to say.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BidsJr said:

Daniel Jones would have been a winning QB at Oklahoma, but he decided to stay at Duke instead of transferring like someone else did.  (TTech and Baker)

No idea if Jones will pan out, but an idiotic thing for Mayfield to say.

From the article: “Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”

Pat Mahomes had a losing record in college too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beckham-jr-giants-sent-cleveland-154901185.html

Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. told Sports Illustrated the New York Giants had better trade offers but chose to trade him to Cleveland "to die."

"This wasn't no business move," he told writer Ben Baskin. "This was personal. They thought they'd send me here to die."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

From the article: “Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”

Pat Mahomes had a losing record in college too.

And what exactly does Baker Mayfield know about winning in the NFL?  Too funny

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beckham-jr-giants-sent-cleveland-154901185.html

Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. told Sports Illustrated the New York Giants had better trade offers but chose to trade him to Cleveland "to die."

"This wasn't no business move," he told writer Ben Baskin. "This was personal. They thought they'd send me here to die."

Thanks for sharing.

Here is the full article in sports illustrated -

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/20/cleveland-browns-odell-beckham-jr-jarvis-landry-baker-mayfield-john-dorsey-freddie-kitchens

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Outspoken is cool, but ripping another QB seems pretty dochey.  But overall he’s a fun guy to root for, so good for Cleveland fans.

...OBNOXIOUS......one year in the league and he's already yapping too much......"paging Mr. Edmunds.....Nov. 10 at 1PM......"..........................

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Baker. I've said before, I hope Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Darnold and the rest of these young guys end up great (with Allen being the BEST). It's good for the league and will help them all get better through the rivalry. I'm tired of Brady, Brees and the rest of the old guard now.

3 hours ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Just reading his quotes I couldn't tell if he was ripping NFL "draft experts" (most of which had either Darnold or Rosen ahead of him pre draft) or Daniel Jones.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Just reading his quotes I couldn't tell if he was ripping NFL "draft experts" (most of which had either Darnold or Rosen ahead of him pre draft) or Daniel Jones.

Bit of both imo. I dunno about the guy, he had a great rookie year and could be special long term but rubs me the wrong way.

It's like at some point you have to let go of the whole 'underdog/me-against-the-world' mentality or you just look childish. Although to be fair these guys are basically still children...I dunno, I can give a pass but my thing is: if you want to be the man you have to act the part. And Mayfield isn't close (yet) on either count.

• Like (+1) 1