Mass shooting at El Paso Walmart/and also Dayton OH

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Over 80% of mass shootings in the U.S. have been carried out by white U.S. citizens with legally obtained firearms.

Well, like I said earlier, you can also go knocking on doors demanding people turn over their guns.

And I can all but guarantee you that if more people carried these mass shootings would be stopped.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

8 hours ago, muppy said:

I saw today that donald Trump advocates policing social media now THIS post will definitely stir the pot.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/8/5/20754790/trump-social-media-detect-shooter-crime

Vox is a joke of a news source. People B word and complain that nobody does anything, then when something is proposed it's scoffed at. They're already flagging hate speech, but now its some type of problem if they supposed to make an effort to detect a potential shooting threat? If anyone but Trump proposes the same thing Vox wouldn't even have thought about covering it. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Well, like I said earlier, you can also go knocking on doors demanding people turn over their guns.

And I can all but guarantee you that if more people carried these mass shootings would be stopped.

Well, both Ohio and Texas are open-carry states, so it must be everyone left their guns at home that day.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

It is legal in Texas for the El Paso shooter to openly carry.  What did that stop?

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's also a different culture.

Whether you agree with it or not the right to keep arms is part of American culture since the begining

And we have lost over a million Americans since our founding who all fought and died for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights

Owning "guns" for hunting and home protection isn't the issue ... 

Its the Military style weapons and other guns that can discharge dozens of bullets in a few seconds.  IMO these are unnecessary.  

Did the founding fathers promise a Gatling Gun in every garage?   They never thought of what modern advancements would bring.  

---------- 

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/sean-hannity-force-schools-malls-054521306.html

Fox News host Sean Hannity is calling for a virtual police state of armed ex-cops and military to “surround” schools and shopping malls to prevent mass shootings. 

“Every school,” Hannity said. “Secure the perimeter of those schools. Equip them with retired police and military, they should be on every floor of every school.”

Retired police and military could volunteer for 15 hours a week in exchange for paying no federal or state income taxes, he suggested.

“We can do that with stores. We can do that in malls. We can do that pretty much anywhere the public is,” Hannity said. “Courthouses, we can expand that out everywhere and keep Americans safe.”

yeah Sean, that will fix everything     Enact Martial Law while your at it 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

It is legal in Texas for the El Paso shooter to openly carry.  What did that stop?

How many were open carrying there?

As I said, if more people carried these mass killings would be very limited.

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Owning "guns" for hunting and home protection isn't the issue ... 

Its the Military style weapons and other guns that can discharge dozens of bullets in a few seconds.  IMO these are unnecessary.  

Did the founding fathers promise a Gatling Gun in every garage?   They never thought of what modern advancements would bring.  

---------- 

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/sean-hannity-force-schools-malls-054521306.html

Fox News host Sean Hannity is calling for a virtual police state of armed ex-cops and military to “surround” schools and shopping malls to prevent mass shootings. 

“Every school,” Hannity said. “Secure the perimeter of those schools. Equip them with retired police and military, they should be on every floor of every school.”

Retired police and military could volunteer for 15 hours a week in exchange for paying no federal or state income taxes, he suggested.

“We can do that with stores. We can do that in malls. We can do that pretty much anywhere the public is,” Hannity said. “Courthouses, we can expand that out everywhere and keep Americans safe.”

yeah Sean, that will fix everything     Enact Martial Law while your at it 

Since when is armed security Martial Law?

4 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

How many were open carrying there?

As I said, if more people carried these mass killings would be very limited.

Or another interpretation is that even in states where it’s legal, people don’t want to? I fail to accept this is the new normal and the only way to stay safe is by packing heat. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

:lol: The New York Times had to change their headline after getting raked over the coals by liberals crying that it didn't paint Trump in a bad enough light.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-york-times-donald-trump-headline-032509617.html

Now that's a paper with integrity.

Actually they show integrity by correcting their mistake and showing Trump in the proper light.

EBE4VfEXUAIx7nF?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We require people to prove they can safely drive a car and restrict the licenses of people not able to operate a vehicle safely (impaired vision, interlock after drunk driving).  I like guns, I use guns, but I don't understand where the fanatical foaming refusal to allow any kind of regulations on guns comes from.

We have piles and piles of gun regulations, several of the most recent shooter obey them all. Some of the shooters broke many of them. Either way people were killed. Any loss of life is terrible, As posted previously in this thread death by shooting is still one of the least likely ways to die in the USA. Almost negligible. So for you to ask me to give up more freedom and/or pay more for my right to have a gun is not "common sense", it's knee jerk reactionary.

We need more 2 parent families, more faith and more personal responsibility. 

We need less participation trophies less Colin Kapernicks, and less kardashians.

2 hours ago, bdutton said:

Walmart was a gun free zone.

For everyone but the shooter !!!!!

1 hour ago, stony said:

Or another interpretation is that even in states where it’s legal, people don’t want to? I fail to accept this is the new normal and the only way to stay safe is by packing heat. 

Show me one instance of a mass shooting at a gun club, NRA convention, or a Gun show.

It's not that you have to "pack heat", you just need the bad guys to think that there may be someone armed.

These people are cowards, they do not want opposition, they want targets, and "gun free zones" are where they go.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That's an example of a common sense regulation that'd help.  In this instance, the media is right.  There is a "pistol" loophole.  Owning a short barreled rifle or SBR requires a lot of paperwork and wait time.  I have a Colt SBR and it took me months to complete the paperwork and take possession of it. 

Those drum high cap magazines should also require a tax stamp.  The government isn't banning either product - just making you go through the hoops.  

Edited by dpberr

11 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Show me one instance of a mass shooting at a gun club, NRA convention, or a Gun show.

It's not that you have to "pack heat", you just need the bad guys to think that there may be someone armed.

These people are cowards, they do not want opposition, they want targets, and "gun free zones" are where they go.

Don't read too much into.  Your statement is off base. What's the point of going to a gun show and "torqueing" it up, they are all like-minded thinkers.

The Dayton shooter was shot 30 seconds after he first discharged his weapon.

He had to see the cops prior to unloading his ammo.

He took out 9.

Death by cop. Yeah.  He was stopped all right.  9 families are preparing to bury their dead... Including the shooter's own family.  He shot and killed his sister.

15 hours ago, muppy said:

and again, please no offense if you don't care to reply your call But forme if you want to post absolutes rhetoric you really should use links so it is proven factual to skeptics. Does that seem fair to ask?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/australia-reloads-as-gun-amnesties-fail-to-cut-arms-20130113-2cnnq.html

Austrailian gun ownership is back to pre-Ban levels as of 2010.

A little under 1 million guns were confiscated after the ban. Ownership estimates were in the 3.2 to 4 million range before the legislation. (no way of really knowing.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Vox is a joke of a news source. People B word and complain that nobody does anything, then when something is proposed it's scoffed at. They're already flagging hate speech, but now its some type of problem if they supposed to make an effort to detect a potential shooting threat? If anyone but Trump proposes the same thing Vox wouldn't even have thought about covering it. 

just to clarify my personal opinion I have ZERO qualms or reservations in regarding facebook or any other social media platform either for that matter flagging or allowing reports be made about someone who is posting dangerous threatening fanatical rhetoric and who might be seen as unhinged enough to warrant some consideration in that regard...I actually think it was one of Trumps better ideas and a proactive approach that just might save lives. The link I posted may have wanted to paint that in a bad light but Im actually liking it.  I said it would "stir the pot" because you KNOW there would be people screaming NO WAY when actually it might actually be a good idea.  kind of how I think banning assault rifles and large magazine clips would be also...for the publics overall safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Sorry late to this thread

I really dont have a problem submitted to a background check tor my gun.   I used to actually collect them when I was in the military but gave them all up and only have something for home defense.

I know that might make some angry.....but dont really have a problem registering or submitting to a background check.

I would think responsible gun owners  wouldn't see submitting to a backgrounds check as being anything less than responsible and civic duty as a protection for the publics greater good ...protection  not necessairily from THEM but the types of individuals these background checks are meant to identify in the first place. I'm all for responsible gun ownership and anything that can help prevent these tragedies from occurring again. And I think most sane responsible law abiding folks would agree with that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

There are two legitimate responses to these events.

1)People want to run behind the protection of law enforcement.

2)People want to fight against the threat by arming themselves.

Neither are effective because it treats the symptoms and not the disease.

Unfortunately both political ideologies prevent them from taking steps to help; The left wants to normalize mental illness, and the right supports individual responsibility and due process.