Do you like curry?

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Personally love the stuff.  Fiance hates it.  I'll eat any kind of curry, Jamaican, Indian, Thai, Chinese. How about you?

Wait .... is this why you're planning on getting goats?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Had it 7 years ago and almost threw it up.  Maybe I’ll get a taste for it some day 

You went heavy...try it with Joe 6 pack's recipe for jerk Jamaican chicken..you need yogurt. We had it sunday..with Spanish rice and green beans..perfect mix of foods.

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

You mean he is Malaysian?

He is of Indian descent but his family lives in Malaysia. He goes back to visit in Malaysia about 4 months/year to avoid winter here.

Interesting stories on how things work and the type of discrimination that exists. For example, to get intro “University” they have a quota system. That vast majority of spaces available go to the local Malay population, then a certain percentage to people of Chinese descent and only 5% go to people of Indian descent. You could literally be a better student than 100% of the Malay population, but not get into school. (That’s how he came to the States). Can you imagine the outrage here? But there is just business as usual! Nobody thinks twice about it. 

The stuff he cooks really intrigues me.

I love classic Indian cuisine as much as any food in the world.

The curry dishes are great, but I also like the stuff from the Tandoor, biryani dishes, the different naans...all of it.

• Like (+1) 1

Fun fact: Curry rice is actually one of the most commonly eaten dishes in Japan.

It's the #1 comfort food for kids, so my wife cooks it quite often and I end up eating a ton of it, and yes it's yummy, though even the spiciest variant is not nearly as hot as Indian or Thai curries, which I also enjoy on occasion, along with Curry Laksa from Malaysia.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

8 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Fun fact: Curry rice is actually one of the most commonly eaten dishes in Japan.

It's the #1 comfort food for kids, so my wife cooks it quite often and I end up eating a ton of it, and yes it's yummy, though even the spiciest variant is not nearly as hot as Indian or Thai curries, which I also enjoy on occasion, along with Curry Laksa from Malaysia.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

I had no idea curry was used in Japanese cuisine, now I want to try that.

• Like (+1) 1

Lamb Vindaloo for me, spicy as hell ? 

For those who want to give it a try, follow this woman's instruction for some Chicken tikka masala.

I have cooked this dish, just as she describes it, many times now and it works really well.

Only thing I have changed is adding some chicken thigh meat to the white meat as well.  You get a bit more flavor out of the darker meat.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:38 AM, Nextmanup said:

For those who want to give it a try, follow this woman's instruction for some Chicken tikka masala.

I have cooked this dish, just as she describes it, many times now and it works really well.

Only thing I have changed is adding some chicken thigh meat to the white meat as well.  You get a bit more flavor out of the darker meat.

Chicken Tikka Masala originates from Scotland. A customer was unhappy with the dryness of his dish in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow (I think). The chef responded by tipping some tomato soup into it and the Chicken Tikka Masla was born.

I'm a big Indian food fan. I tend to choose something off the chef or house specials menu as to get something different in each restaurant I go to. If I see something described as given to the staff after work I go for that. 

When my partner was pregnant with our son she craved Indian food. My son loves it. He's not a big eater so he's always happy with the chicken tikka starter with some plain rice and a pile of popadoms and mango chutney dip.

If you ever find yourself in London head to Brick Lane or Southall. The food there is fantastic. 

With me being from the north there are also some great curry towns. West Yorkshire being particularly great. 

On 8/10/2019 at 1:43 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

I had no idea curry was used in Japanese cuisine, now I want to try that.

Yeah, it's not what most people think of when you say "Japanese food", but it's true.

Compared to the South Asian varieties, Japanese curry is a bit more like a spicy stew with a thick roux; very hearty and delicious.

curry rice, katsu curry (breaded pork cutlet), and  curry pan (soft bread rolls with curry filling) are the 3 big ones in my family.