Cover 1 Denied Press Credentials by Bills PR Staff

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Sounds like a very difficult time for you and you have my sympathy but not sure what Irma has to do with this debate?

You're right, it really doesn't my bad on the long tangent. I'm still clearly working through some residual feelings of a lack of control that I had in that entire situation, and it being hurricane season again brings some of those feelings up pretty strongly.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Or why it was such a travesty to move the thread to OTW.

Honestly, I felt it should have been stickied to the top of the main page. If there was an insane blizzard with 5 feet of snow forecasted to hit right after a crazy ice storm in Buffalo (knock on wood this never happens), I would damn well hope there was a thread stickied on the main page as well as a resource for people to get information. More people see it on the main page, and it is a lot easier to find. I understand we can't have a thread stickied for every incident, but 6m people were evacuating, and moral support within our community would have gone a long way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wrong!  Some people have assumed that his work is covered under fair use.  But my guess is that very few of us are copyright lawyers specializing in IP on the internet.   Just because Turner or and fans of Cover 1 want that to be true, it doesn’t mean it’s a certainty.  

Fair use is a defense that really has never been used effectively in court.  My take is that if the NFL wanted to take down Cover 1, they could.  

So what is a fact, is that Cover 1’s use of proprietary footage from the NFL is a gray area in terms of copyright.  

https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

Here is the definition of fair use from the copyright.gov website, and it doesn't seem like a grey area to me...granted you are right that I have not looked at how this gets applied in the case law (wouldn't really know what I was looking at if I did either), but again, I genuinely don't see where the nfl would have a case based on that definition. 

Of course the judicial system has been bought by corporations, so maybe somehow the nfl successfully argues that it would impact them long term if this was widespread, but if that argument is looked at objectively, I think it very clearly fails to block fair use.

Reason is, the nba allows people to post any highlight they want for the most part, without requiring it be covered under fair use even. The interest in that league is growing insanely, and I've read articles where the data shows a causal link between the ability to repost highlights and the leagues growing popularity. Therefore, using a 30 second clip of a 1 hr video of an event that actually happened, where you use the clip as a canvas for your original work and commentary sounds like the very definition of fair use.

I haven't watched this yet, so it totally could say I'm a dumbass and of course what cover1 does violates copyright law...we can find out together :)

Question: does the creator of the content get view counts when a youtube link is embedded like this and any potential ad revenue if the video is monetized?

Edited by HardyBoy

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perfectly reasonable criteria. Seems simple enough for Eric Turner to do. I suspect, though, that he simply doesn’t have the necessary media credentials to satisfy that criteria. 

I would assume Eric is very familiar with these rules as he has tried to get credentials in the past and was unable to.

I always assumed that was part of the reason he signed on with the athletic- to hope to get one of their credentials.  I have not seen anything on there by Eric since the end of last season - so maybe his gig is up or maybe they got a similar notice to Jeremy White.

I would assume like with Jeremy White - if the person using the all 22 on an official media platform like WGR without consent - they will get hit by the NFL.  

Freestyle bloggers are below the NFL radar it seems as that is common, but my guess is the NFL pressures things like you tube to prevent and block downloads of the NFL property - similar to videos only playing on you tube - not on a website like this after a short period.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would assume Eric is very familiar with these rules as he has tried to get credentials in the past and was unable to.

I always assumed that was part of the reason he signed on with the athletic- to hope to get one of their credentials.  I have not seen anything on there by Eric since the end of last season - so maybe his gig is up or maybe they got a similar notice to Jeremy White.

I would assume like with Jeremy White - if the person using the all 22 on an official media platform like WGR without consent - they will get hit by the NFL.  

Freestyle bloggers are below the NFL radar it seems as that is common, but my guess is the NFL pressures things like you tube to prevent and block downloads of the NFL property - similar to videos only playing on you tube - not on a website like this after a short period.

All that makes a ton of good sense. 

Perhaps Eric Turner should just leave well enough alone then. Lest he draw unwanted attention.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I believe he's considered a freelance writer if you look at the staff...probably only has a contract to provide in season content based on the availability of the athletics nfl season budget.