Cover 1 Denied Press Credentials by Bills PR Staff

1 hour ago, Fingon said:

The DMCA requires the NFL to take Fair Use under consideration before issuing take down notices. Most likely the NFL realized they had little legal recourse and opted to black list Cover 1 instead.

Has any other team blocked them?  Why is this not just the Bills not wanting the guy on the property at this time?

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A repetitive word is being liberally tossed around here.

Nonsense.

History has taught us what’s Nonsense today will be tomorrow’s norm.

Perhaps. But today it is still nonsense. 

42 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That was my assumption; that use of their All 22 product would be protected by copyright. So I guess we’re back to the editorial free use argument. 

But none of the NFL’s protection policies mean much if they enforce them discriminately. Which seems to be the case as far as how other providers routinely disseminate their All 22 product. 

Not calling your point nonsense, but I think the NFL catches up to everyone, eventually.

Edited by snafu

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Perhaps. But today it is still nonsense. 

I think the NFL catches up to everyone, eventually.

One would think. But it's been several years since Jeremy White was issued his cease and desist order and since then countless other providers around the world have disseminated All 22 footage in the same way. And I just haven't heard of a bunch of providers having to cease and desist. 

1 hour ago, Fingon said:

The DMCA requires the NFL to take Fair Use under consideration before issuing take down notices. Most likely the NFL realized they had little legal recourse and opted to black list Cover 1 instead.

Wish I has seen this a few minute earlier. That explains why the NFL may not be too upset about some of it's internet based products. 

Jeremy White should get back into the All 22 analysis business. 

I find it humorous that many here seem to happily defend the interests of a multi-billion dollar corporate monopoly, and then in turn question the ethics of a couple of guys doing pod casts and YouTube content about a game and team we all like to watch.  Bloody amazing.

Go Bills!!! 

34 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And I just haven't heard of a bunch of providers having to cease and desist. 

How did this thread morph from Eric not getting a press pass to so much talk about cease and desist orders?    :blink:

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I’m a bit late to the party on this one but it appears that the crew at Cover 1 was denied press credentials by the Buffalo Bills PR Staff.

On Twitter Erik Turner seemed to think that the Bills were not giving press access to any blogs.  However WGR’s Nate Geary talked about this on the Moranalytics podcast.  He said that he knows people from the Bills PR, and the situation isn’t about Cover 1 being a blog or that the team doesn’t respect their work.

According to Nate, it’s the fact that Cover 1 uses 90% of the NFL’s intellectual property on their site between film reviews, photos, videos etc for free.  He thinks that under Roger Goodell the NFL wants to protect their IP as much as possible and sees blogs like Cover 1 who distribute content for free potentially detracting from fans purchasing NFL Game Pass.   Because of this the Bills are weary to provide access to outlets that use their content in this way.  

I have often been critical of Turner in the past but, I don’t know, I feel that Cover 1 might have a legit gripe.  

For instance Jerry Sullivan was issued credentials this year because he has a morning show on 1270 AM The Fan which doesn’t really have the best signal.  While I’m sure his morning show provided a bit of a boost in their ratings, I am sure they absolutely dwarf what WGR and other morning shows in the market draw.  Of course, Sully is (whether people want to believe it or not) a respected journalist in the sports world - especially around Buffalo.  Still, I would believe that an outlet with like Cover 1 - with multiple products such as social media, podcasts, blogs, videos, etc probably pulls in a

much higher audience than 1270 AM or some of the smaller outlets who were issued credentials.  

I didn’t read this thread except for the OP and I’m late to respond but I know for a fact it’s policy of many, if not all teams, to not credential bloggers. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t read this thread except for the OP and I’m late to respond but I know for a fact it’s policy of many, if not all teams, to not credential bloggers. 

So then it would appear that Cover 1's use of All 22 footage isn't the limiting factor, after all, as had been speculated by Nate Geary's contact in the Bills' PR dept. 

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So then it would appear that Cover 1's use of All 22 footage isn't the limiting factor, after all, as had been speculated by Nate Geary's contact in the Bills' PR dept. 

All I know is that I spoke specifically to a NFL personnel guy with another team about this recently and he said “we do not credential bloggers and I don’t know anyone who does”

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That would seem really nit-picky. The press does the same for their analysis. Both parties are paying the NFL for content.

I think the issue was previously mentioned by another poster: they simply haven't adapted to the blogging/social media system. They don't have a set of standards to determine which bloggers should be considered "press" and which shouldn't, so they can't reasonably accept one while denying others at this point.

It'll happen eventually. Less and less people are going to ESPN/local news/etc for their team coverage and analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

All I know is that I spoke specifically to a NFL personnel guy with another team about this recently and he said “we do not credential bloggers and I don’t know anyone who does”

This should end thread

There are credible scouts who don't even have press credentials. It's not a Right

• Like (+1) 1

To summarize the situation:

• Cover-1 appropriately uses "fair use"
  • However, their comprehensiveness of total games Cover-1 comes close to inappropriate but doesn't cross the line
  • The NFL (via the Bills organization) feels hinky about the situation and don't want to grant Cover-1 further access (via formal creds), which is totally their right to deny

I'll take another Mich Ultra.. I know light beer sucks,  but I'm fighting a battle of the bulge.

Edited by boater

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I find it humorous that many here seem to happily defend the interests of a multi-billion dollar corporate monopoly, and then in turn question the ethics of a couple of guys doing pod casts and YouTube content about a game and team we all like to watch.  Bloody amazing.

Go Bills!!! 

100% agreed.  I started a podcast based on Cover 1's work, called it Prevent D, taped their show and interspersed my own commentary to kick it up a notch.  I also said "Brought to you by Verisan". Now everyone is pissed at me--the NFL, cover Q1, You Tube and the phone company.  There isn't even a Verisan, I made that part up. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not familiar with what Jeremy White did.

As far as Eric Turner, he's (I think) skating on the "transformative purpose" loophole of "fair use".  Meaning that by taking the NFL's copyright material and adding X's and O's and commentary about the plays being run, he is commenting upon and criticizing a copyright work enhanced by using some of the copyright material, to the public benefit.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

That may mean the NFL's lawyers assessed the situation and decided it wasn't worth the David vs Goliath PR kneecapping they'd take for a contestable case

Doesn't make it wholly ethical in my book

Fair use is very much gray area.  Find out many court cases on copyright have been won with fair use as a defense...not many.  

I do agree with your assessment about Cover 1 not being big enough for the NFL to spend any time, effort or money over.  I think they simply don’t care enough to take action.

The Bills on the other hand probably don’t want to get heat from the NFL for credentialing a blogger who profits from redistributing their content.  

4 hours ago, Fingon said:

Or they just don’t care enough to act.   

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Could be....but Nate knows the Cover 1 guys and essentially covers the Bills (through WGR), so it’s not out of the realm that he be up on the situation.  I believe what he said - the Bills are being proactive to comply with the way the NFL wants fo protect their IP

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

That’s what we all do. At least those of us with more than a casual interest in what’s going on in the game. Heck, that’s what color analysts try to do on a play to play basis. 

If anything, Cover 1 generates more interest in the product by engaging fans, educating them, and making the NFL product more interesting. I’d think the Bills would be grateful.

Exactly.   They should be grateful if they understood that any type of content that promotes a greater understanding of the game and more insight into their players for the fans is a good thing.   Sounds like the issue is the decisions are being made by people that don't understand that.   Having an MBA and working in marketing I have to laugh at some of the decisions these football organizations make. 

They would get crushed in any other business with that type of shortsightedness, but they have a monopoly and a great product so whatever decisions they make doesn't really matter. 

It's why I laugh at the Russ Brandon stuff and how he was such a "genius" at marketing.   Uh yeah, OK.  Monopolies sell no matter what.

NFL has no case. This is ridiculous. Erik also works for the Athletic correct? A legit press agency. 

Turner isnt selling NFL footage...he's altering that by providing his analysis and commentary, added graphics, insight etc. Thats the total package of what he sells.

He's taking footage the NFL has already put in the public domain with no reasonable expectation of privacy.

No different than any blogger or review show that shows portions or clips of movies.

Yes, things like Cover1 do make the NFL a richer scene and promote the product. 

The no access for bloggers is just silly. Blogger is just a meaningless term. Its still publishing...and still content. May entertainment industires like comics and movies offer access , passes, and free material, to certain bloggers , independent reviewers, fanzines, often uplifting them beyond this.

The Goodell era continues to be a joke.

Edited by RichRiderBills

9 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

If I were to predict the future I would say that within 5 years the over-whelming majority of press passes given out will be to Podcast and online websites. Sort of like how the Grammys snubbed rap music at first, thinking it was just a passing fad of a niche market.

The old media is dying and podcasts are both the present and the future.

It’s pathetic that Rakim has zero Grammys, while Drake has 1649 of them.  Travesty 

Cover 1 is good at they what the do. I love reading what they have to say, but they do provide a cliff note version on how to attack to our defense and how to defend our offense. As a fan I want them covering The Bills.  However if I was a member of the organization I would not accommodate them.

48 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Cover 1 is good at they what the do. I love reading what they have to say, but they do provide a cliff note version on how to attack to our defense and how to defend our offense. As a fan I want them covering The Bills.  However if I was a member of the organization I would not accommodate them.

Ultimately the last part is what matters ..the Bills probably don't hand out credentials to non mainstream media I'm guessing could be wrong  . Technically anyone could start a podcast or YouTube channel and request credentials ..I don't think they would deny them to someone known like chris Simms maybe . 

NFL can say whatever they wish in their disclaimer. Its not really binding if its illegal.

Look at Bleacher Report 10 years ago. That site was no more than fan postings. Turner works for the Athletic . He's credible.

Edited by RichRiderBills