Cover 1 Denied Press Credentials by Bills PR Staff

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s what we all do. At least those of us with more than a casual interest in what’s going on in the game. Heck, that’s what color analysts try to do on a play to play basis. 

If anything, Cover 1 generates more interest in the product by engaging fans, educating them, and making the NFL product more interesting. I’d think the Bills would be grateful.

That’s just nonsense.

Your argument is no different than someone posting ripped music on their server and claiming they’re doing the artist a favor by exposing them to more people. If a musician or the NFL wanted to give away their product they are well within their rights to do that. I think they’re smart enough to know what’s in their best interest.

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Then why is the cover 1 pod cast on YouTube for free then?? 

Go Bills !!!

Firstly, I ignore him like the plague. Secondly, in past years he has tried to charge for access on his site. I do not know if that has changed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Color analysts do it during the game. Cover 1 want to do it while Bills are still in camp. Who would want to have all their formations out before they play the first game? You don't think teams look at all of this? Why do you think the Bills blocked their own media from showing the Blue vs Red last night?

Certainly a very good point, I think though after the fact analysis is a bit different though. 

Go Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Jeremy White was served with a cease and desist from the NFL for doing what Eric does. I think this was two years ago. 

How Eric has not been taken to court is beyond me. He takes NFL footage for free and tries to charge people money to view that material. 

Interesting man.  Come to think about it Joe Buscaglia used to do something similar (with less volume) on his feed and he stopped a while ago.  Maybe it was related.

As someone else pointed out, it’s strange how the NFL will enforce that with some media and not with others.  It could be that Cover 1 simply isn’t big enough to be

on their radar or worth the NFL’s time.  

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Color analysts do it during the game. Cover 1 want to do it while Bills are still in camp. Who would want to have all their formations out before they play the first game? You don't think teams look at all of this? Why do you think the Bills blocked their own media from showing the Blue vs Red last night?

I agree with you here. I wasn’t aware that’s what Cover1 wanted to do. How would they get the all 22 from the Bills camp to do that anyway? 

If they are at camp and breaking down and commenting on various formations, plays, and the personnel packages associated, I submit anyone sitting in the stands could do the same thing if they have a certain level expertise. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Anyone have his fluff piece on Reggie Ragland handy? That was a beauty. 

I don’t really have a problem with his work.  I think he works hard and has put together a staff, like an alternative press.  My issue is when fans use Cover 1 material to try to justify a point as though his word is gospel.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

That’s just nonsense.

Your argument is no different than someone posting ripped music on their server and claiming they’re doing the artist a favor by exposing them to more people. If a musician or the NFL wanted to give away their product they are well within their rights to do that. I think they’re smart enough to know what’s in their best interest.

Perhaps you should have read my previous post stating that the NFL has a case when it comes to their IP being used. 

I also mentioned how their policy regarding enforcement has been selective at best, as we’ve seen. 

While I agree that the NFL is smart enough the know what’s in their best interest, MOST OF THE TIME, there have been examples when they haven’t been. I think the selective enforcement of their IP protection policies may be an example of that. 

11 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Well I believe there are parameters for media covering the team and I would be shocked if diagraming formations is not included.  It’s kind of like a few years ago when the Bills PR staff informed the media about not sharing stats in the preseason.  Teams can set guidelines for video/coverage.  

I think that Cover 1 was looking more for player and coach access and maybe press box access.  

I believe what Geary said and that the Bills might have been more 

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t really have a problem with his work.  I think he works hard and has put together a staff, like an alternative press.  My issue is when fans use Cover 1 material to try to justify a point as though his word is gospel.  

This is my issue as well

The couple of breakdowns I have watched he IS WRONG on certain things

He isn't a real coach or scout , his opinion is far from gospel. He runs a website marketed towards rabid bills fans

Edited by Buffalo716

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

That’s just nonsense.

Firstly, I ignore him like the plague. Secondly, in past years he has tried to charge for access on his site. I do not know if that has changed.

Avoid like the plague? Seems excessive 

7 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Their work appears to be essentially as good as all 22’s it’s all based in assumptions anyway.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

I see both sides of the press credential argument.

But as a fan who appreciates Erik's work, I'm disappointed he doesn't get better access. 

Just talking about my specific case, the more I'm into the Bills, the better it is for the team (the more gear I buy, etc.) and Erik helps me get into the team.

34 minutes ago, SDS said:

Jeremy White was served with a cease and desist from the NFL for doing what Eric does. I think this was two years ago. 

How Eric has not been taken to court is beyond me. He takes NFL footage for free and tries to charge people money to view that material. 

Very interesting. 

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Avoid like the plague? Seems excessive 

Ignore...he said ignore.

37 minutes ago, SDS said:

This is simply false.  He hardly just re-posts the All-22.  He goes through great detail editing it - and this is the very definition of editorial fair use.

Edited by BobChalmers

3 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

This is simply false.  He hardly just re-posts the All-22.  He goes through great detail editing it - and this is the very definition of editorial fair use.

Please. Get real. You have no idea what you are talking about. Laughable. 

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I guess I should say I’ve known him for 20 years or so

My condolences.