JESSICA PEGULA WINS CITI OPEN

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2019/08/jessica-pegula-vs-lauren-davis-wta-washing-dc-citi-open-quarterfinals/84009/

WTYV2UFVLMI6TLGIDWCHXLGKOM.jpg

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/02/jessica-pegula-defeats-lauren-davis-womens-quarterfinal-match-citi-open/?outputType=amp

Jessica Pegula was down a service break to Lauren Davis in the second set and had the crowd against her in Friday’s late-afternoon heat on the Grandstand Court at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2019/08/jessica-pegula-vs-lauren-davis-wta-washing-dc-citi-open-quarterfinals/84009/

WTYV2UFVLMI6TLGIDWCHXLGKOM.jpg

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/02/jessica-pegula-defeats-lauren-davis-womens-quarterfinal-match-citi-open/?outputType=amp

Jessica Pegula was down a service break to Lauren Davis in the second set and had the crowd against her in Friday’s late-afternoon heat on the Grandstand Court at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center.

Way to go, Jess. Hopefully she can keep it going to the finals.

Just watched the semi’s and she won in 3 sets. On to the Finals! Congrats!

Nice interview post match, too. Very likable. 

I also like that they show the coaching. Big change from the days where hand signals from the stands could cost you. 

11 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Sorry, Shady...didn't see this.  She won the finals today...just posted in a new thread (now deleted)

She Won!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/pegula-defeats-giorgi-capture-first-wta-singles-crown-192430975--ten.html

I meant to watch that, or at least check in. Sorry I missed that, but love the result!  Enjoyed watching her yesterday. 

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

I meant to watch that, or at least check in. Sorry I missed that, but love the result!  Enjoyed watching her yesterday. 

She's playing the best of her career, Augie.  Hopefully that means good things for the Open.  Would love to see her at least reach the final 16.

Just now, JoeF said:

She's playing the best of her career, Augie.  Hopefully that means good things for the Open.  Would love to see her at least reach the final 16.

Yesterday they asked her if she was peaking. She said “well, I’ve got my highest ranking ever, so yes!” Very likable. 

The Mrs works in NYC about half the month starting early this year. I’ve been threatening to go to the Open for years, and this may just be the year! A buddy goes fairly frequently. I actually prefer the early rounds and the smaller courts. Practice courts just might be better than matches! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is this the big-time womens circuit, or some junior tour?

WTA tourneys usually get players that are in the 35-100 rankings in the world.  Its the big time circuit without the top names.  Jessica won about $40,000 for winning the tournament...the closer the calendar gets to a major tournament, the better the fields for the WTA tourneys become.

Just now, JoeF said:

WTA tourneys usually get players that are in the 35-100 rankings in the world.  Its the big time circuit without the top names.  Jessica won about $40,000 for winning the tournament...the closer the calendar gets to a major tournament, the better the fields for the WTA tourneys become.

?

14 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Yeah, this level in both men’s and women’s will get you plenty of people you’ll recognize at The Open, Wimbledon, etc. I went to the BB&T Open in Atlanta recently. We saw plenty of names you’d recognize if you follow the game at all, and plenty of strangers. I remember seeing Nishikori at the Sarasota Open years ago and he was a stranger who stood out. I see he’s #7 right now. 

Side note: The women want equality in pay. I am ALL FOR equality. So play five set matches....or be quiet. 

Sorry, just a pet peeve, maybe because Serena pushes the topic. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JoeF said:

Or as dad would say, take it out of petty cash Jessica

• Haha (+1) 3