Just another reason why Rex and his crew was fired

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

A what if question: Where would this team be from a competitive standpoint if the Pegula/s hired McDermott or someone as capable when he first bought the team. This franchise was set back with the Rex hire and the next coach took extra time trying to clean out the mess. When you go backwards you then have to go farther to move forward. The Rex era was such a stupid and wasteful interlude. 

Had the Pegulas retained their defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz, or hired a hot, up-and-coming coach like McDermott, they could have found enough success to (gasp) retain Doug Whaley. That certainly would have slowed "the Process", IMO.

Would Doug have kept EJ Manuel around?

Do we even bring Tyrod Taylor in?

Do we keep the KC pick that brought them Patrick Mahomes?

Do we make other foolish and wasteful trades like the Watkins debacle?

How much dead wood like Sammy and Marcell would still be on the team, over-paid and under-performing?

Would the Drought still be alive today? Or would we be (like many here hope) perched on the cusp of another Golden Age of Bills Football, with numerous double-digit winning seasons and multiple playoff appearances in the near future?

I'll take this timeline, with Josh Allen and Tremaine Edwards leading the charge, over that alternate reality, thanks.

Edited by ToddAllan
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

What he did with the Jets with Sanchez as his QB was far from terrible, problem is his ego got the best of him over the years and became a very lazy coach.

He came to Buffalo to rob us blind. (fug Russ Brandon)

I think players started to look at him as a clown and refused to buy in because of the personal success they had under Schwartz.  You will notice that the new regime discarded some of the players that gave Rex a hard time.

Rex was a disaster from day one, and hiring him was a sign the Pegulas' judgment was dicey. The team was on the verge of respectability, with a lot of good players on the roster, though the cap situation was shaky.

As to whether the subsequent transformation of the team under McDermott & Beane was worth it, there's some promise, but this season will tell the tale. If Josh Allen does not show significant improvement and the Bills face-plant this season, Rex's hiring will only look like even more of a disaster.  

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree that Wrecks Ryan wasn’t at fault.

Everyone knows Wrecks is as lazy as they come. He wasn’t at one time but he then, somewhere along the line, decided he liked the spotlight of being a HC more than he liked putting in the work to be a successful HC. 

The man is a fraud and would jump at the first opportunity to come back as a HC but that chance will never come because everyone knows what he’s about.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

there is not a more fraudulent one hit wonder family on the planet.....Blowhard Buddy's claim to fame was the Bears' "46"......and he even fought with Ditka.....next we have his eloquent punching out of Gilbride...Blowhard was an abysmal failure as a HC...next up we have Rex, who rode the wave of the Ravens D to HC status......yet another abysmal mess....and sadly the neophyte Pegula's were snookered by the" Brandon Deal" to make Bills WNY territory the new laughing stock known as "Jets West"(special thanks to the now disposed BranDUMB-errant wankers can cause problems).....and Rob?.....he rode the name coat tails and now is a perfect fit with Boy Danny's Deadskins as Inside LB Coach (WTF? differentiate between inside and outside?) as well as Executive Buffet Line Manager.....find me a sadder lot and I will STFU......

3 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

What he did with the Jets with Sanchez as his QB was far from terrible, problem is his ego got the best of him over the years and became a very lazy coach.

He came to Buffalo to rob us blind. (fug Russ Brandon)

I think the other problem Rex had was other teams figured out his defense.  So like any good coach Rex tweaked it, but think his tweaks took the defense to the point it became way too complicated to execute.  Don't think he forgot how to coach, but that's where the ego part hurt him thinking this complicated scheme would work.

He also was as they say a players coach, but you need a certain type of player for that to work with and usually a few years to develop it.  Here it was becoming a frat house and Rex was just a hot mess.  I really think that was what got him fired more than the record, things like wearing a Clemson helmet to a press conference, the excessive penalties, hirng his brother, making the captain for the Jet's game the guy who broke Geno's jaw, the list goes on.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

giphy.gif

I think he crapped his pants.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I know Rex looks like he is out of control here but you should pick a different video since the scoreboard is 34-8 and clearly he did his job that day.

Or the team got it done in spite of him.  Maybe could have been 38-0 with a better coach.

*edit*

It's like where defenders of (for example) a controversial movie say "the boycott/internet outrage clearly accomplished nothing, because the movie still pulled in $X million opening weekend".  Well maybe it would have done 10% better without the boycott, or would have had better numbers after the opening weekend when the boycott-proof diehard fans had already seen it.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...whole Ryan family redefined football frauds because of one occurrence in their backgrounds  (Buddy and the "46"; Rex and the Ravens; Rob and his appetite) that  propagated potential greatness...woeful failures....

Right on! Then ran with it! Parasitic! The Ryan's S... show was a mockery of The NFL.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

Rex was a clown, we all know that. But why? He did have early success.

My theory has always been the game passed him by. His defense was innovative at first, but offenses adjusted, the game changed in his era (rules and philosophy all suited to help produce offense) and he didn’t.

More evidence of his inability to adjust is changing a top defensive when he got here to fit his scheme rather than adjusting self to play to his players strengths.

The game evolved, he didn’t. He is to coaching what Kodak was to cameras.

Edited by CSBill

12 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Rex was a clown, we all know that. But why? He did have early success. My theory has always been the game passed him by. His defense was innovative at first, but offenses adjusted the game changed in his era (rules and philosophy all suited to help produce offense) and he didn’t. More evidence of his inability to adjust is changing a top defensive when he got here to fit his scheme rather than adjusting self to play to his players strengths. The game evolved, he didn’t. He is to coaching what Kodak was to cameras.

his early success was because he surreptitiously rode the great Ravens defense, driven by superior personnel and NOT his coaching IMO..probably 2nd to the '85 Bears......he became more of a schemer than a scheme developer.....thanks Russ.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1