Just another reason why Rex and his crew was fired

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Ed Reed specified his negative experience in Buffalo was due to the fact that the assistants on the staff (coordinators and position coaches were spending their time yelling and swearing when players messed up, rather than teaching the players where they went wrong.  I agree that while Reed exonerates Wrecks, he really shouldn't because it is up to the head coach to set the tone and the operating philosophy of the staff.  Wrecks hired the buffoons who worked for him, and that makes him the head buffoon.  I appreciate the fact that multiple observers have commented on how McDermott's staff seems to focus on teaching.  They are energetic, to be sure, but they are all about how to do it better next time.

There has been a fair amount of chaos on McD's coaching staff.

OC fired.

OL coach....fired.

QB coach......basically asked to leave.

WR coach......canned.

ST coach......fired. 

It hasn't been smooth sailing and the team has been pretty lousy with large negative point differentials in both seasons so I hesitate to credit their teaching too much.

15 hours ago, Lurker said:

IMO, Rex lost his work ethic and passion or the Monday-Saturday grind after year one here.    He was always supremely flawed as a HC, but he seemed to just loose all interest in managing things and was already looking ahead to a broadcasting career...

...the fact that he hired his brother in the true spirit of nepotism only to provide him a free ride tells you where his focus was....Disinterested 101..............

23 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ed-reed-wants-coach-hated-101210819.html

Seems like Night and Day with Rex crew vs McDermott staff

I coached under a yeller that did that to everyone, even his assistants in front of the players.  You couldn't even have a simple conversation after practice because he'd ramp it up to 100 in four seconds.  If you did anything other than his way or modified it a little to hide weaknesses his system exposed to get the most out of the players, he'd whistle practice dead, then scream at the player for not listening, then at the coach, telling us it was his team.  My last game with him, I tried to show a technique to pull d-linemen Offside legally.  He called me an a-hole in front of the team and told the players they didn't need to listen to me because I didn't know anything.  I remained quiet, waited until we lost 42-17 (the line didn't get the QB sacked once, and opened holes for the run, but our running back had oil hands and our QB was inaccurate).  He berated the team, yelled at the staff, and walked off the field muttering how he hated coaching this team of losers.  I got my stuff and left.  I haven't been back since.

23 hours ago, MR8 said:

He loves Rex, so of course he did...

But tone at the top is what determines tone at the bottom ...

Rex is a TERRIBLE HC and that trickled down and caused all the issues throughout the organization. If his staff is garbage, it's a direct reflection of the HC.

Rex is the person who allowed and fostered that environment here. He also was the one who hired all the people who behaved in that manner.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There has been a fair amount of chaos on McD's coaching staff.

OC fired.

OL coach....fired.

QB coach......basically asked to leave.

WR coach......canned.

ST coach......fired. 

It hasn't been smooth sailing and the team has been pretty lousy with large negative point differentials in both seasons so I hesitate to credit their teaching too much.

When McDermott started his head coaching gig, he specifically looked for experience, particularly where he did not have a shared past history.  The reason he did was his own lack of experience in a head coaching position.  Rick Dennison had years of experience in the coaching ranks and at least several years as an OC.  Castro was experienced.  The QB coach had not been a QB coach in the pros, but he was a very experienced WR coach, who came highly recommended.  The WR and ST coaches were both very experienced.  As McDermott became more comfortable in his head coaching position, he also developed a strong personal preference for what he wanted in his assistants.  Coaches who weren't coaching the way he wanted - hands on, with energy and lots of teaching - and getting results, were canned.  If he can be faulted, I guess it's because he didn't have a better handle on the coaching abilities of the guys who were canned.  The guys with whom he replaced them are generally more energetic, hands on and younger.  Experience in the coaching ranks is no longer as important.

23 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The jets: He took over a winning team added a couple players, enjoyed two good seasons. Then ran it into the ground. 

From living in North Jersey, let me just add:  yep.  You're dead on.

He also had a history of not getting along with (= undermining) the GM here.

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Why do you say that Reed didn't have an aptitude to coach? What do you base that opinion on? There is nothing unusual about players who have played for a long time and exhibited an intellect for the game to get hired as assistants. He was a HOF player on a historically good defensive team. Your diminishing of his history in the game makes little sense. He wanted to break into the coaching ranks. He was hired for an entry level position by a coach that he had a long relationship with as a player. What's unusual about that?

You describe him as crapping on Rex a few years later. That is utter nonsense because he accurately, like so many others have also done, described what was going on in the Clown show when Rex was the ringmaster. What Reed stated was not a startling revelation.It was well known by everyone in the business and many outside the business that Rex at that stage of his career was hideously incompetent. 

...WELL stated and a fair assessment.....I'd bet Reed has the acumen and skill set to be a DB Coach some day....Wrecks was a one trick pony fraud (Ravens) just like the old man Blowhard Buddy (Bears)....Buffet Boy Rob just rode in their rubber dingy.......

• Like (+1) 1

There would be the odd week when the Bills defense suddenly looked creative and dangerous when Rex was here

That alone told me that when he actually wanted to work he still could but he mostly mailed it in and let his team of assistants do all the work with little to no guidance

IMO he was totally burned out and the Bills suffered for it. Glad we went young and hungry with McBeane 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

There would be the odd week when the Bills defense suddenly looked creative and dangerous when Rex was here

That alone told me that when he actually wanted to work he still could but he mostly mailed it in and let his team of assistants do all the work with little to no guidance

IMO he was totally burned out and the Bills suffered for it. Glad we went young and hungry with McBeane 

...will NEVER relinquish my opinion that this was "all Brandon".......marketing boy wanted to put butts in the seats......and I think the hiring generated season tix sales north of 60,000 for the first time in club history....some of my buds are best friends with Brandon...right after the hiring, his text was, "so what do you think?"( I DID see it)......another eventual text was "Rex is like a Bills rock star in Boca"....LOL...BOTH are history............

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When McDermott started his head coaching gig, he specifically looked for experience, particularly where he did not have a shared past history.  The reason he did was his own lack of experience in a head coaching position.  Rick Dennison had years of experience in the coaching ranks and at least several years as an OC.  Castro was experienced.  The QB coach had not been a QB coach in the pros, but he was a very experienced WR coach, who came highly recommended.  The WR and ST coaches were both very experienced.  As McDermott became more comfortable in his head coaching position, he also developed a strong personal preference for what he wanted in his assistants.  Coaches who weren't coaching the way he wanted - hands on, with energy and lots of teaching - and getting results, were canned.  If he can be faulted, I guess it's because he didn't have a better handle on the coaching abilities of the guys who were canned.  The guys with whom he replaced them are generally more energetic, hands on and younger.  Experience in the coaching ranks is no longer as important.

Point being it hasn't gone smoothly for McDermott with his coaching staff either.

That's a lot of turnover in just two seasons.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Point being it hasn't gone smoothly for McDermott with his coaching staff either.

That's a lot of turnover in just two seasons.     

Yes, there has been a lot of turnover.  I'm hopeful that we'll see less going forward because McDermott has developed a sense of what he wants in his assistants, and he has coaches that match his profile better.  Best case scenario is he's going to lose a few going forward because they'll have opportunity for advancement because they are good.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:29 AM, JohnC said:

The real issue isn't why Rex was fired but why was he hired? When you hire a buffoon who exhibited the same undisciplined and chaotic traits he had in his last job from which he was fired why should anyone be surprised what the outcome was going to be. The owner thought he could instantly establish some attention for his irrelevant and invisible franchise. He got it. He got the attention he was seeking for his franchise but for the wrong reasons. This was not only a bad hire by the owner but it was a peculiar and weird hiring. Thankfully, the owner learned from his stupendous mistake. In the end, the clown coach outhustled the billionaire who had to pay off the three remaining years in his lucrative contract. Maybe Rex isn't as dumb as he appears to be? 

A what if question: Where would this team be from a competitive standpoint if the Pegula/s hired McDermott or someone as capable when he first bought the team. This franchise was set back with the Rex hire and the next coach took extra time trying to clean out the mess. When you go backwards you then have to go farther to move forward. The Rex era was such a stupid and wasteful interlude. 

..."stupid and wasteful interlude"...

Compared to what? 

2 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

..."stupid and wasteful interlude"...

Compared to what? 

Compared to where we could have been with a competent HC. If a McDermott caliber coach would have been in place at that time this franchise would be in a more advanced situation. Much of what McDermott has done is undo what the former brash coach did. The mouthy coach took a good defense and then hindered it by forcing players to play his system which was not the most suitable for the players he had to work with. Dumb is dumb. Wasting seasons to again start over represents a "stupid and wasteful interlude". You might think it was a productive period but I certainly don't. Why do you think he was fired so early in his contract? It certainly wasn't because he represented excellence.