Just another reason why Rex and his crew was fired

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

So you're telling me Rex Ryan's staff was dysfunctional????

NO WAY!!!! GET OUT OT TOWN!!!!

Exactly.  This is not "another" reason Rex was fired.  It's THE reason he was fired.  He failed to lead of group of coaches and players to success.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Ed doesn't want to put the work in. A lot of players who want to be coaches intern and do the grunt work for a few years on staff. He just wants to be coach because he's Ed Reed.

I thought when hired it was a good one.

However from the quote it appears he thinks he is ready to be a DC already.  I agree he needs to put in the work and I have not heard of one job he applied for and he is not even trying to start at bottom and coaching in college.

57 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Exactly.  This is not "another" reason Rex was fired.  It's THE reason he was fired.  He failed to lead of group of coaches and players to success.  

IMO, Rex lost his work ethic and passion or the Monday-Saturday grind after year one here.    He was always supremely flawed as a HC, but he seemed to just loose all interest in managing things and was already looking ahead to a broadcasting career...

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The jets: He took over a winning team added a couple players, enjoyed two good seasons. Then ran it into the ground. 

That's spot on !....Mangini built that team and Rex came in and enjoyed the goods...He's really a bad HC....lack of discipline....wants to be a friends to the player as oppose to their boss.....really, I mean really bad time managements.....or uses of time outs.....and...hiring his lousy brother was criminal...

Never liked the hire ...we lost a few seasons because of that clown....

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Must admit I was all in for Gregg, Mularky, Dick, Chan, St Doug, Rex (loved that blue pickup), Rob, Drew, JP, Trent, Fitz, EJ, and even NP.  Definitely now a billiever in McD and Josh.  I'm over due.  Law of averages say we got our guys.  Go Bills!!    

If you like to throw the dice I suspect you might be financially challenged. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I think he crapped his pants.

Or the team got it done in spite of him.  Maybe could have been 38-0 with a better coach.

*edit*

It's like where defenders of (for example) a controversial movie say "the boycott/internet outrage clearly accomplished nothing, because the movie still pulled in $X million opening weekend".  Well maybe it would have done 10% better without the boycott, or would have had better numbers after the opening weekend when the boycott-proof diehard fans had already seen it.

my intent was not to overall defend Rex but simply pointing out that day he did his job and i am quite sure there are better graphics to make the point.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

IMO, Rex lost his work ethic and passion or the Monday-Saturday grind after year one here.    He was always supremely flawed as a HC, but he seemed to just loose all interest in managing things and was already looking ahead to a broadcasting career...

It was a mistake to give him a 5 year contract just because previous coach opted out because they would not guarantee him & his assistants and had a clause to get out with bonus.  

Ed Reed specified his negative experience in Buffalo was due to the fact that the assistants on the staff (coordinators and position coaches were spending their time yelling and swearing when players messed up, rather than teaching the players where they went wrong.  I agree that while Reed exonerates Wrecks, he really shouldn't because it is up to the head coach to set the tone and the operating philosophy of the staff.  Wrecks hired the buffoons who worked for him, and that makes him the head buffoon.  I appreciate the fact that multiple observers have commented on how McDermott's staff seems to focus on teaching.  They are energetic, to be sure, but they are all about how to do it better next time.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I know Rex looks like he is out of control here but you should pick a different video since the scoreboard is 34-8 and clearly he did his job that day.

I don't care whether he won this game or not. He being on our sidelines exhibiting his cartoonish histrionics is a tribute to the historic ineptitude of this organization. Fortunately, the mistake was rectified by his firing and the hiring of a competitive replacement. Make no mistake about it the Rex hiring was a devastating blow to this battered franchise. It made the road to respectability a longer road to ride on toward being competitive. 

Even in the best organizations not all hires work out. That's part of the business. However, the Rex second-rated vaudeville act was a long running act that was on full display before he was hired by the owner. His hiring made no bloody sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

Ed doesn't want to put the work in. A lot of players who want to be coaches intern and do the grunt work for a few years on staff. He just wants to be coach because he's Ed Reed.

Reed was gifted a job by Rex that he clearly didn't deserve, earn or show any aptitude for.  Then he craps on Rex a few years later.

"HOF D-bag" move right there...

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Reed was gifted a job by Rex that he clearly didn't deserve, earn or show any aptitude for.  Then he craps on Rex a few years later.

"HOF D-bag" move right there...

Why do you say that Reed didn't have an aptitude to coach? What do you base that opinion on? There is nothing unusual about players who have played for a long time and exhibited an intellect for the game to get hired as assistants. He was a HOF player on a historically good defensive team. Your diminishing of his history in the game makes little sense. He wanted to break into the coaching ranks. He was hired for an entry level position by a coach that he had a long relationship with as a player. What's unusual about that?

You describe him as crapping on Rex a few years later. That is utter nonsense because he accurately, like so many others have also done, described what was going on in the Clown show when Rex was the ringmaster. What Reed stated was not a startling revelation.It was well known by everyone in the business and many outside the business that Rex at that stage of his career was hideously incompetent. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why do you say that Reed didn't have an aptitude to coach? What do you base that opinion on? There is nothing unusual about players who have played for a long time and exhibited an intellect for the game to get hired as assistants. He was a HOF player on a historically good defensive team. Your diminishing of his history in the game makes little sense. He wanted to break into the coaching ranks. He was hired for an entry level position by a coach that he had a long relationship with as a player. What's unusual about that?

You describe him as crapping on Rex a few years later. That is utter nonsense because he accurately, like so many others have also done, described what was going on in the Clown show when Rex was the ringmaster. What Reed stated was not a startling revelation.It was well known by everyone in the business and many outside the business that Rex at that stage of his career was hideously incompetent. 

Yes that certainly would make little sense--good thing that's note what I said, at all.  You just made that up.  

My very simple point is that there is absolutely no reason to assume that a great player can coach other NFL players.  There have been fewer than 20 HOF players who have gotten coaching jobs since the merger.  Only 7 as HC.

Reed got his only shot at NFL coaching by a guy who we all conclude is an idiot.  And no other HC has offered him a job since. That's what I base my opinion on--that and the above statistic on the extreme rarity of guys at this level getting jobs coaching.  What's the mystery here?

And yes, what Reed stated was not a startling revelation, so why bring something that was "well known" up now, years later?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes that certainly would make little sense--good thing that's note what I said, at all.  You just made that up.  

My very simple point is that there is absolutely no reason to assume that a great player can coach other NFL players.  There have been fewer than 20 HOF players who have gotten coaching jobs since the merger.  Only 7 as HC.

Reed got his only shot at NFL coaching by a guy who we all conclude is an idiot.  And no other HC has offered him a job since. That's what I base my opinion on--that and the above statistic on the extreme rarity of guys at this level getting jobs coaching.  What's the mystery here?

And yes, what Reed stated was not a startling revelation, so why bring something that was "well known" up now, years later?

Reed worked in a situation that was a disaster. Do you think that was going to burnish his resume after his novice stint under Rex? No one is assuming that a HOF player is going to be a good coach. On the other hand you can't assume that he couldn't be a good coach because of his HOF career. He went into a bad situation when he was trying to enter the coaching ranks starting at the bottom. Working as an underling for Rex didn't help him in the field, it hurt him. 

You made the point that the former player was "crapping" on Rex. Far from it. He was telling the obvious truth as you point out that everyone already knew about. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Reed worked in a situation that was a disaster. Do you think that was going to burnish his resume after his novice stint under Rex? No one is assuming that a HOF player is going to be a good coach. On the other hand you can't assume that he couldn't be a good coach because of his HOF career. He went into a bad situation when he was trying to enter the coaching ranks starting at the bottom. Working as an underling for Rex didn't help him in the field, it hurt him. 

You made the point that the former player was "crapping" on Rex. Far from it. He was telling the obvious truth as you point out that everyone already knew about. 

He could have said so 3 years ago.

And, again, I’m not saying that being a HOFer doomed him as a coach.  I said, contrary to others here (scroll up), that being a truly great player, with all that experience, does not predispose you to being a natural coach.  The history of NFL coaching makes this very clear.  Reed himself, if he was felt to have also a gift for coaching, would have gotten another shot. Turns out, Rex was the only one who gave him a chance.  And instead of saying what he did to coach up the Bills he felt were being abused,  he just tells us what we knew 3 years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Rex sucked. End of story. End of a horrible era. Thank God the line of below average crap coaches has come to an end. I'm with McD!!

Rex era 15-17

McBeane era 15-17

Rex sucked but McBeane have too.    Blowouts galore,  some of the worst offensive football in Bills history.........time for McBeane to turn their 3 year free run of the organization into a contender in 2019.    Amazing what the Pegula's have invested to help these guys get everything they wanted........now no excuses.