New Era "Return of the Blue and Red" Practice 8/2 night

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Zay Jones’ night did not get off to a great start. He had a shot at a tough 30-yard pass from Josh Allen, but couldn’t come up with it as it was contested by safety Dean Marlowe.

“It was a great look by him over here able to scramble out of the pocket and find me deep,” said Jones. “It was a tough catch. It’s one I know I can make. It was difficult. It wasn’t routine.

I went up and did my best to bring it down, but I had an awkward fall and Dean Marlowe made a good play on it.”

Four plays later, Jones couldn’t hang onto a short pass near the right sideline, but the third-year receiver was determined to redeem himself.

“Next play we went back into the huddle and I said, ‘I got this one,’” said Jones. “Kind of telling him, give me this one. So he found me on the next play and got me a nice, easy catch.”

Wait, this was posted on the Bills website as a positive? I don't like hearing that our #2 WR needs a "nice easy catch" to rebound after failing to make NFL plays.

On a more positive note:

• Like (+1) 1

This is good to see:

3. Buy yourself some Tommy Sweeney stock

Tommy Sweeney made another highlight-caliber play Friday night when the Bills first team offense was trying to beat the clock in a four-minute drill.

Allen heaved one up to Sweeney, who was battling double coverage from Dean Marlowe and Matt Milano near the goal line, and he went up and outmuscled both defenders to make the play. Sweeney is taking full advantage of the opportunity presented to him with all three top tight ends on the roster - Tyler Kroft, Dawson Knox and Jason Croom - rehabbing injuries.

“It had to be a ball that was caught so I gave him a chance and he went out there and made a play,” Allen recalled. “It’s good to see that from a rookie and he’s had a really good camp so far. We’re down on tight ends a little bit and he stepped up and at such a young age it’s good to see that.”

All I've heard about Sweeney throughout training camp is that he catches everything. With all the injuries at TE it would be nice if he becomes a diamond in the rough.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m so glad we went out got receivers that can catch...it seems our younger guys are still having issues holding onto the ball...I would not be surprised if 1st round WR is in the cards for 2020...if Zay and Foster can’t cut it, the top group MUST be solidified for JA.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

WR class in 2020 is very good from all accounts.

Still thought they should've addressed this more this past offseason. 

rome wasn't built in a day. next off season should also continue to add the needed (addressed past 2 off seasons-QB, OL,TE, RB) pieces to the offense.

Elite receivers in 2020 NFL Draft fit perfectly in timeline of the Buffalo Bills

This team is close to getting back to becoming real contenders in the AFC. Landing a legitimate number one target in the passing game just might be the final piece that could take them over the top.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We brought in John Brown and Cole Beasley.  We signed Tyler Kroft and drafted Dawson Knox/Tommy Sweeney.  We could’ve drafted a WR, but it would’ve been another young #2/3 type, when we already have two of those guys on this team in Zay & Foster. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Josh Allen’s best attribute (arm strength) is a direct cause of his worst (accuracy)?

when you see touch passes like the one above, you can see how hard he has to work to take power of the ball. Its kinda crazy to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd be interested to know what more you think Beane should have done, or what he should have done differently.  I think he brought in a ton of possibilities, as well as a few imminent starters (via draft and FA).

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'd be interested to know what more you think Beane should have done, or what he should have done differently.  I think he brought in a ton of possibilities, as well as a few imminent starters (via draft and FA).

The only guy I thought was MAYBE a better option in FA than Brown was Tyrell Williams, I thought that Beane did about as well as he could have considering who was realistically available.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Josh Allen’s best attribute (arm strength) is a direct cause of his worst (accuracy)?

when you see touch passes like the one above, you can see how hard he has to work to take power of the ball. Its kinda crazy to watch. 

I see what you're saying watching that pass play.  It looks like Allen just flips the ball using half an arm motion and the ball goes over 30 yards for a perfect placement. 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Bills security needed to confiscate this footage immediately. Like Barzini at the wedding in ‘The Godfather.’

latest?cb=20170805130153

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Keeps that up, he’s on the 53 for sure. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Looked like his 3rd read...and the way he shapes that throw over the defender to outside shoulder, spins it perfect spiral off platform...it's the definition of 'arm talent'

I give it 50/50. Allen's arm and Sweeney's adjustment. 

It was a perfect throw to the outside and Sweeney did a 360 while running to relocated the ball. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Looked like his 3rd read...and the way he shapes that throw over the defender to outside shoulder, spins it perfect spiral off platform...it's the definition of 'arm talent'

Yea that was a great throw against a great defense. Just look at where Allen was at this time last year , it's night and day... 

• Like (+1) 2