New Era "Return of the Blue and Red" Practice 8/2 night

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'll take those plays over tyrod Taylor's maddening overconservatism.

As a fan base, we Have been unusually gifted with experience in the breadth of quarterbacking inadequacies, haven’t we? Ask us ANYTHING in this regard. It’s why there’s such divide in our opinions of Josh Allen. We have very little idea what great quarterbacking in Buffalo looks like -but we can tear his azz up on poor completion %..

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

All depends on the situation really. If that’s first down I’m upset but if third down and long I’m ok probably. Those picks are coachable

13 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Probably, but I still think he might land on the PS, because they really seem to like him. Considered drafting him several times, made a big push to reel him in as a UDFA. I think they see something there and may wanna develop him. But he's definitely gonna need to have some flashes or, as you said, he gone. 

He has been so bad so far that they might get him as a PS guy because I would expect less interest than there was as an UDFA. If the Bills want to keep him and stash him they might want to not feature him too much in pre-season. 

I can think of 4 ints of the "rolling left and throwing down field into coverage" ints last year, Chargers, Packers, Jets 2x.  Two better plays to Ivory where he came across the field underneath and had huge empty space to run, Vikings and Dolphins, so that was probably not by accident.  They need to work on the scramble more in general because Josh has multiple ways to escape and buy more time (see the link) and his elite arm can get the ball to almost any place on the field.  Defenses wil drop coverage somewhere.

Josh takes Melvin Ingram for a ride.

Josh's first start, a bad play but an early case of "I do not think I have seen an NFL QB do that before."

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

13 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Probably, but I still think he might land on the PS, because they really seem to like him. Considered drafting him several times, made a big push to reel him in as a UDFA. I think they see something there and may wanna develop him. But he's definitely gonna need to have some flashes or, as you said, he gone. 

See, I’m not buying that. Others have stated the same thing, based on what they saw in embedded. Thing is, there were far more discussions than the ones ultimately used on the video presentation. As each player falls off the Board, their mindset has to change to ‘who’s next on our depth chart? Will he likely be taken before we pick? Is trading up for him worthy of the lost picks further down?

Every team does it this way. It’s very possible Cody wasn’t the main target moving up in the 2nd round, but a team video isn’t going to air other players who were selected by other teams -for obvious reasons immediately and possible future opportunities. They may very well have wanted the guard Carolina took. We’ll never see that either. Cody was next man up. With Sills V, he Was on the board, reportedly, and the brass didn’t Draft a WR -which was acknowledged by fans & foes alike as a glaring weakness prior. To me, that was a combination of desperation and a bit showy.

By every account, the kid looks lost. He won’t be here and very likely won’t be invited to be on the PS. jmo.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has been so bad so far that they might get him as a PS guy because I would expect less interest than there was as an UDFA. If the Bills want to keep him and stash him they might want to not feature him too much in pre-season. 

If McKenzie has still PS elegibility he should make it, alongside Cam Phillips, who has flashed some plays in TC. 

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I liked him coming out, but he was always gonna have to bulk up to make it in the NFL... Not much sign of that so far. Maybe being on a practice squad and getting into a gym will help. We'll see. He's still relatively new to WR, so he'd be a good project. 

giphy.gif

The face in the glass needs to be Nathan  Peterman  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mat68 said:

After a week of T.C.  I think the offense is farther along than I expected.  The Oline is Dawkins, Spain, Morse, open, Ford or Nyske.  The best 5 move Ford to LG play Nyske at RT have Waddle be the swing tackle.  I think they will be stubborn because of Fords potential at RT and keep him there.  

Reports that I’ve read have had Waddle really struggling. I doubt he’s the front runner for swing tackle. If they start Nsekhe then I don’t really see a good swing tackle on the roster.

Top 3 things to know about the Return of the Blue & Red practice

t0coiznxethpno6tg4fe.jpg

1. Zay Jones finds rhythm in passing game

Zay Jones’ night did not get off to a great start. He had a shot at a tough 30-yard pass from Josh Allen, but couldn’t come up with it as it was contested by safety Dean Marlowe.

“It was a great look by him over here able to scramble out of the pocket and find me deep,” said Jones. “It was a tough catch. It’s one I know I can make. It was difficult. It wasn’t routine.

I went up and did my best to bring it down, but I had an awkward fall and Dean Marlowe made a good play on it.”

Four plays later, Jones couldn’t hang onto a short pass near the right sideline, but the third-year receiver was determined to redeem himself.

“Next play we went back into the huddle and I said, ‘I got this one,’” said Jones. “Kind of telling him, give me this one. So he found me on the next play and got me a nice, easy catch.”

3. Lineup notes

With a good number of veterans getting rest days like LeSean McCoy, Lorenzo Alexander, John Brown and Ty Nsekhe, it afforded others the chance to get more reps in team segments of practice.

Among the beneficiaries were Cody Ford, who moved back in at starting right tackle after Nsekhe replaced him in practice Thursday.

With Mitch Morse (concussion protocol) and Spencer Long (knee soreness) sidelined, Russell Bodine continued as the starting center with Jon Feliciano the starting right guard.

Quinton Spain returned from a foot injury to man his starting left guard position.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Next play we went back into the huddle and I said, ‘I got this one,’” said Jones. “Kind of telling him, give me this one. So he found me on the next play and got me a nice, easy catch.”

Very comforting that he will have a catch percent of 33% ;)

Should greatly help Josh's completion % ;) 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

As a fan base, we Have been unusually gifted with experience in the breadth of quarterbacking inadequacies, haven’t we? Ask us ANYTHING in this regard. It’s why there’s such divide in our opinions of Josh Allen. We have very little idea what great quarterbacking in Buffalo looks like -but we can tear his azz up on poor completion %..

....let's just say the "Who's Who List List Of Bills QB's" has appropriately been renamed the list of "WTF's"....... it is unconscionable to see the "garbage in garbage out" gang post Kelly.....how could THE #1 position on the field be neglected for so long and STILL expect to be competitive?.....FWIW, I'd rank TE spot as #2.....

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

That’s the SAME int he threw 2 or 3 times last year. It’s also the SAME pass he threw 3 long completions last year as well. (2 to Ivory, 1 to McCoy). SMH. I can live with those as long as he improves on other area in the passing game.

Exactly.  

I'm pretty much done taking the idiots covering these guys seriously. 

"Not what Bills fans want to see?"

Umm.....my QB taking shots downfield?  Yes its absolutely what I want to see.  

I saw Brett Favre do this about 100x in his career.  You have to live with the good and bad with guys of Josh's makeup.  Hopefully the good greatly outnumbers the bad.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Exactly.  

I saw Brett Favre do this about 100x in his career.  You have to live with the good and bad with guys of Josh's makeup.  Hopefully the good greatly outnumbers the bad.  

Exactly.

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Exactly.  

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Exactly.

Unless Josh Allen completes 100% of his passes and the Bills go 19-0, there will be people here who will complain.

And even then .... there would be people who would say, "yeah, but he still ran too much and we only won because of our defense."

Some people are simply incapable of being happy/enjoying the Bills.  Eff 'em.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Top 3 things to know about the Return of the Blue & Red practice

t0coiznxethpno6tg4fe.jpg

1. Zay Jones finds rhythm in passing game

Zay Jones’ night did not get off to a great start. He had a shot at a tough 30-yard pass from Josh Allen, but couldn’t come up with it as it was contested by safety Dean Marlowe.

“It was a great look by him over here able to scramble out of the pocket and find me deep,” said Jones. “It was a tough catch. It’s one I know I can make. It was difficult. It wasn’t routine.

I went up and did my best to bring it down, but I had an awkward fall and Dean Marlowe made a good play on it.”

Four plays later, Jones couldn’t hang onto a short pass near the right sideline, but the third-year receiver was determined to redeem himself.

“Next play we went back into the huddle and I said, ‘I got this one,’” said Jones. “Kind of telling him, give me this one. So he found me on the next play and got me a nice, easy catch.”

3. Lineup notes

With a good number of veterans getting rest days like LeSean McCoy, Lorenzo Alexander, John Brown and Ty Nsekhe, it afforded others the chance to get more reps in team segments of practice.

Among the beneficiaries were Cody Ford, who moved back in at starting right tackle after Nsekhe replaced him in practice Thursday.

With Mitch Morse (concussion protocol) and Spencer Long (knee soreness) sidelined, Russell Bodine continued as the starting center with Jon Feliciano the starting right guard.

Quinton Spain returned from a foot injury to man his starting left guard position.

How is this “Zay finding rhythm in the passing game”.  

All the article states is he couldn’t come up with two contested catches and then caught an easy pass. 

Im assuming many people on this board can do that. 

I really hope Zay breaks out this year as a Juju-lite  type guy, with the weapons around him taking pressure off, but this isn’t exactly “finding a rhythm” in my book. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

...can I assume then you did not agree with his "post" or "fly" pattern definitions being a 6 yard out to Clay?...just askin'......in his defense, downfield was posted as NO TRESPASSING....