Tasker HOF inductee in 2020?

StHustle

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tasker has no place in the Hall of Fame.  

If the Bills hadn't made it to four Super Bowls, no one would even know his name.  He didn't change the game.  He wasn't revolutionary.

He was someone who wasn't good enough to be on offense of defense.  He played Special Teams, which was awesome.  And he did a great job.  

Canton is reserved for the elite.  Tasker was a failed WR who was great at a very small third of the game.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams are far from equal.

Agree with this.  ST is not "1/3 of the game"...by a mile it's not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Special teams are very important but when coaches..GMs... analysts say they are 1/3 of the game, it is about math

Apparently not important enough.

I will just disagree with the last part.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Wouldn't that be Devin Hester?

Taking it to the house is cool for sure.. 

But being able to time hits like this.. you never really see it at all in todays NFL. I mean, he hits him literally a tenth of a second after he catches the ball. 

This, is a thing of beauty. 

Edited by Nick the Greek

4 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Taking it to the house is cool for sure.. 

But being able to time hits like this.. you never really see it at all in todays NFL. I mean, he hits him literally a tenth of a second after he catches the ball. 

This, is a thing of beauty. 

Google big hits nfl punt and you'll see plenty.  Plus the guy pops right up and jaws at Tasker.

Edited by Mr. WEO

20 hours ago, Rico said:

I’ll settle for Butch Byrd then. If they won’t put him on the Wall of Fame, they can put him in the Hall of Fame.

The AFL probably doesn't get enough respect from the HOF.  

Butch Byrd was a 5x AFL All Star and selected to be on the all-time AFL defensive squad - though behind Dave Grayson who's not in the HOF either despite his own impressive credentials (AFL all time interception leader, etc.).   

Only four 1st stringers and one 2nd stringer on the all time AFL defensive squad are in the HOF.

Tom Sestak of the Bills is another guy who's been short-changed.  He's a starting DT on the All Time AFL team but has never been inducted into the HOF.  Yet Buck Buchanon, who's a backup on the All Time AFL squad, has his bust in the Hall.

This on Sestak from Wikipedia:

During the 1960s, only six professional defensive linemen were unanimous All-League selections for three or more years, Sestak (3), Bob Lily (5), Merlin Olsen (4), Willie Davis (3), Gino Marchetti (3), and Deacon Jones (3). The latter five, all former NFL players, have already been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, while Sestak, a star from the AFL, like many other AFL players has been ignored by the Hall of Fame selectors.

At least Bill Shaw got in.

3 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

The greatest special teams player of all time. Give him his due. 

I'm torn.  On the one hand, I've heard that some guys on the selection committee won't vote for any special teamer.  And I get that.  Special teamers don't play a lot of downs.  And the best athletes don't play special teams (not counting returners).   

But on the other, the special special teamers change the outcome of games as often as defensive players do.  Tasker was one of those guys.  I don't know how many coaches and players I've heard describe him as the best punt and/or kick coverage guy ever.   It seems if that's true, Steve deserves a bust in Canton.  

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm torn.  On the one hand, I've heard that some guys on the selection committee won't vote for any special teamer.  And I get that.  Special teamers don't play a lot of downs.  And the best athletes don't play special teams (not counting returners).   

But on the other, the special special teamers change the outcome of games as often as defensive players do.  Tasker was one of those guys.  I don't know how many coaches and players I've heard describe him as the best punt and/or kick coverage guy ever.   It seems if that's true, Steve deserves a bust in Canton.  

Meanwhile, in the baseball HOF, they make its first unanimous first ballot inductee a failed starting pitcher who had only one pitch and was used only in games which they were already winning, where he was asked to get 3 outs at most a couple of times a week.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meanwhile, in the baseball HOF, they make its first unanimous first ballot inductee a failed starting pitcher who had only one pitch and was used only in games which they were already winning, where he was asked to get 3 outs at most a couple of times a week.

WEO!!!!  You stop that right now!!

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tasker has no place in the Hall of Fame.  

If the Bills hadn't made it to four Super Bowls, no one would even know his name.  He didn't change the game.  He wasn't revolutionary.

He was someone who wasn't good enough to be on offense of defense.  He played Special Teams, which was awesome.  And he did a great job.  

Canton is reserved for the elite.  Tasker was a failed WR who was great at a very small third of the game.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams are far from equal.

He was an elite Special Teams player tho.. There are far fewer Special Teams plays in a game but 1 kick/punt return, forced fumble or blocked FG/punt can flip a game in a heartbeat and those plays are hard to come by because you dont get many chances and have to execute perfectly.. Steve Tasker did that..

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

When you say nothing to back it up.  Especially the case when it is contrary to the sentiment of the thread.

No. Trolling is intentionally making inflammatory remarks with the goal of ticking people off.

What we have here is a culture of flaming anyone who disagrees with the majority.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

No. Trolling is intentionally making inflammatory remarks with the goal of ticking people off.

What we have here is a culture of flaming anyone who disagrees with the majority.

So when you make a one sentence remark contrary to the general sentiment in the thread how are people to know that you are not saying it simply to tick them off?  Contrary to your second point, discourse that shows disagreement with the majority is what this place is all about.  There must be discourse and not simply one comment that says “I disagree with you.”

So, if the majority says “A” and you wish to disagree and say “B.”  It would be most helpful to know why you say “B.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, K-9 said:

If the idea that special teams is one third of the game and often an important influence on outcomes is more than just lip service, then yeah, Tasker should get in. He heavily influences outcomes from several different special teams positions; from rushing kickers and punters to being a gunner making big stops, to returns. NOBODY before or since has played so many different ST roles at such a high level. 

He should already be enshrined in Canton.

The game was changed due to him.  Opposing teams made game plans with three players assigned to stop him and he still made plays.  If Tasker was playing today with rule changes since such as changes on wedges he'd be making more plays.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Tasker’s special teams credibility plus his conversion to WR later in career, both of which he excelled at, make him a worthy candidate, imo. Played above his size pay grade!

See the Jets game.  Kelly was not having a good season and there were injuries so played WR and got 160 yards and was target by Jets to be put out of game.  Contrary to some people who watch more baseball than football he was not a "Failed WR".  Jim Kelly wanted him in as WR and lobbied Marv Levy for many years.

New York Jets at Buffalo Bills - November 24th, 1996

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The game was changed due to him.  Opposing teams made game plans with three players assigned to stop him and he still made plays.  If Tasker was playing today with rule changes since such as changes on wedges he'd be making more plays.

This is a great point. He defined the position. That criterium is common among many in the HOF. I hadn’t considered that aspect of his eligibility before. Thanks for pointing that out. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2019 at 10:31 PM, BringBackFergy said:

If Tasker gets in then the NFL Hall or Fame is nothing more than the “Who’s Who of College Students”. If you have a pulse and pay $39.95, you get in. Shoot, next inductee might as well be Todd Collins. 

Tasker did make 7 pro bowls.  There are kickers and a punter in.   I kind of get what you are saying but I think it is worthy of discussion....unlike Collins

If Tasker gets in then Matthew Slater probably does also

On 8/3/2019 at 11:58 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Steve Tasker is more of a HOF than Frank Gore.  He was actually dominant at his position. ?

Gore was not dominant at his position?