Tasker HOF inductee in 2020?

StHustle

2 minutes ago, Blue on Blue said:

Except that Todd Collins did not revolutionize the way one-third of the game is played.

For some reason, I’m thinking our team going to 4 Superbowls is clouding your opinion. Was Kent Hull more valuable to our team? Biscuit? It’s not the Hall of Very Good. “Fame” is the idea. 

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

For some reason, I’m thinking our team going to 4 Superbowls is clouding your opinion. Was Kent Hull more valuable to our team? Biscuit? It’s not the Hall of Very Good. “Fame” is the idea. 

Team MVP on a local level is not the issue.  The  way the man played gunner changed 1/3 of the NFL game forever. 

23 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

How original.

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

No, no, no. Not as a OBL host or broadcaster or any of those things he seems to receive a fair share of criticism on...but as one of the (if not THE) best special teamers in NFL history. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27310440/hall-fame-induct-20-class-2020

In 2020, ten "senior" NFL retirees will be inducted into the Hall so it looks to be the be shot he'll ever have.

I think most here would say he deserves it, however, does being part of such a large class somewhat diminsh the accomplishment?

Arguably the best special teams player of the last 30 years.  I think he should be in.  I don't know how getting in would be diminished in any way by who else is enshrined.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

How is it trolling to share an opinion???

when your opinion is so out of the ordinary and clearly ignorant of his accomplishments it is trollin until proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

As much as I understand point- he was dominant enough to deserve consideration and in my opinion make it into hall if Ray Guy made it. Also Biscuit misses cut but not by much

• Haha (+1) 1

Tasker has no place in the Hall of Fame.  

If the Bills hadn't made it to four Super Bowls, no one would even know his name.  He didn't change the game.  He wasn't revolutionary.

He was someone who wasn't good enough to be on offense of defense.  He played Special Teams, which was awesome.  And he did a great job.  

Canton is reserved for the elite.  Tasker was a failed WR who was great at a very small third of the game.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams are far from equal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Tasker has no place in the Hall of Fame.  

If the Bills hadn't made it to four Super Bowls, no one would even know his name.  He didn't change the game.  He wasn't revolutionary.

He was someone who wasn't good enough to be on offense of defense.  He played Special Teams, which was awesome.  And he did a great job.  

Canton is reserved for the elite.  Tasker was a failed WR who was great at a very small third of the game.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams are far from equal.

The way you have broken it down I must agree. However, if the Hall were to recognize the role of the special teamer and his significance or contribution to winning...then maybe.

Yeah.  I  think he should get in.  He was the first non punter/kicker to distinguish himself on Special Teams and went to seven pro bowls.    He may have a chance with them devaluing the HOF by inducting 20 players.  

7 hours ago, Talley56 said:

I could understand him not getting in if Ray Guy never got in.  But with Guy in if Tasker doesn’t at least eventually get in that would be disgraceful.

I think there is a significant difference between punters and kickers and ST field players, who are generally players not good enough to play on offense or defense but found a niche on ST to make a career in the league.

6 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

Team MVP on a local level is not the issue.  The  way the man played gunner changed 1/3 of the NFL game forever. 

ST is not 1/3 of the game. The average NFL game has between 135 and 170 plays per game. How many of those are ST plays? 15 or 20 maybe?  So, maybe 10%.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, StHustle said:

No, no, no. Not as a OBL host or broadcaster or any of those things he seems to receive a fair share of criticism on...but as one of the (if not THE) best special teamers in NFL history. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27310440/hall-fame-induct-20-class-2020

In 2020, ten "senior" NFL retirees will be inducted into the Hall so it looks to be the be shot he'll ever have.

I think most here would say he deserves it, however, does being part of such a large class somewhat diminsh the accomplishment?

I’ve been watching the Bills/NFL since the early 80’s and until today I haven’t seen anyone who ( IMO ) comes even close to ST ace/demon that Tasker was , he also made some plays as a receiver , I don’t know if a player who’s mostly known for his ST belong in the HOF or not ,

BUT 

If everyone can agree that Steve Tasker was the Micheal Jordan of ST then I think he definitely belongs in the HOF !!!

Gooo Bills !!!!

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

If the idea that special teams is one third of the game and often an important influence on outcomes is more than just lip service, then yeah, Tasker should get in. He heavily influences outcomes from several different special teams positions; from rushing kickers and punters to being a gunner making big stops, to returns. NOBODY before or since has played so many different ST roles at such a high level. 

He should already be enshrined in Canton.

I don't believe special teams are 1/3 of the game. They are important but not on the field 1/3 of the time.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I don't believe special teams are 1/3 of the game. They are important but not on the field 1/3 of the time.

Ray Guy (a Punter) was on the field 1/3 but he still got in the HOF /2014

Did I mention he was a punter ??

Image result for ray guy
Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

It’s not a question of math.

For years, coaches and GMs have paid a ton of lip service to the importance of special teams. “Complimentary football” has long been defined as offense, defense, and “special teams.” Right now, in camps across the league, teams are devoting time and resources to perfecting various special teams elements. Players are being evaluated for their ability to contribute on special teams and final roster spots are often determined by a player’s ability to perform in those roles. 

If it’s really as critical and as important as they say it is, then it should be recognized as such by the HOF. If not, then it’s just lip service as I mentioned in my op. 

And Tasker is unique as there hasn’t been a player, before or since, who excelled in so many different roles on special teams. It’s not like his election would open the door for everybody else because nobody else did what he did.

The honor of a HOF election and what it takes to attain it would not be diluted in the least. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, vincec said:

I think there is a significant difference between punters and kickers and ST field players, who are generally players not good enough to play on offense or defense but found a niche on ST to make a career in the league.

I will agree with that but both were still ST.  I think if one ST great makes it in for punting the one who was great for making ST tackles should absolutely get in.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Ray Guy (a Punter) was on the field 1/3 but he still got in the HOF /2014

Did I mention he was a punter ??

Image result for ray guy

Twice and I don't think he should have been voted in. You think he was on the for field for 1/3 of the game? If he punted 4 times he was on the field for 4 plays

42 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s not a question of math.

For years, coaches and GMs have paid a ton of lip service to the importance of special teams. “Complimentary football” has long been defined as offense, defense, and “special teams.” Right now, in camps across the league, teams are devoting time and resources to perfecting various special teams elements. Players are being evaluated for their ability to contribute on special teams and final roster spots are often determined by a player’s ability to perform in those roles. 

If it’s really as critical and as important as they say it is, then it should be recognized as such by the HOF. If not, then it’s just lip service as I mentioned in my op. 

And Tasker is unique as there hasn’t been a player, before or since, who excelled in so many different roles on special teams. It’s not like his election would open the door for everybody else because nobody else did what he did.

The honor of a HOF election and what it takes to attain it would not be diluted in the least. 

Special teams are very important but when coaches..GMs... analysts say they are 1/3 of the game, it is about math

Tasker is generally agreed to be the best ST player of all time.  Thus, why not in the HOF.  Not as a receiver or broadcaster, but as a ST ace.

Now, ST players including K and P should be minimized but there is a place.

I would also like to see Assistant coaches get voted in - who can argue Wade is a great coordinator but an average HC.  Why not a spot for a few great coordinators and innovators who are not great head coaches?

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

If Tasker gets in then the NFL Hall or Fame is nothing more than the “Who’s Who of College Students”. If you have a pulse and pay $39.95, you get in. Shoot, next inductee might as well be Todd Collins. 

Tasker is the greatest to ever play special teams.  If owners can get in then so should he.