Heath Farwell praises Patrick DiMarco at Buffalo Bills training camp

HOUSE

Image result for patrick dimarco

The special teams coach went out of his way to mention the fullback.

By Matt Warren Aug 2, 2019, 10:00am EDT

Looking at his offensive output and lack of playing time, no one should be surprised that Patrick DiMarco’s name frequently came up as a potential roster casualty this offseason. That limits his role to just one phase, and in special teams he has stood out throughout his NFL career.

New Buffalo Bills special teams coach Heath Farwell has taken notice in his short time in Western New York and brought up DiMarco during his press conference Thursday morning.

“It’s always been unbelievable in my meetings and on the field there’s leadership but Pat DiMarco,” said Farwell when asked about leaders other than Lorenzo Alexander on special teams . “I think [he] has covered a million kicks and has played for a long time. He’s been huge in the leadership, in the meeting rooms, on the field, and all that stuff. He’s giving me feedback, you know; what’s going on out there and what can I work on. He’s been great and I rely on those guys big time. My relationship with those guys is unbelievable and I hope that they would agree.”

DiMarco was fourth on the Bills in special teams snaps in 2018 under former special teams coach Danny Crossman. At 400 combined snaps on offense and special teams, he has carved out a role on the team that often flies under the radar.

This could just be the start for DiMarco. When current Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was with the New England Patriots, fullback Joe Develin was a fixture of the offense, playing 350 snaps in 2016. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have both praised Develin for his offensive and special teams contributions, noting his importance.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/2/20751507/heath-farwell-praises-patrick-dimarco-at-buffalo-bills-training-camp-special-teams-kick-coverage

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I dunno - its OK to have actual core special teams players.  NE carries Ebner and Slater and they're barely depth at their positions.  They combined for 20 offensive/defensive snaps in 2018/2019 and over 600 special teams snaps.

Just remember - 11 guys play on offense and defense.. some positions rotate a bunch, others not much at all.  If Dimarco is a better special teams player than say... Yeldon, Croom, Marlowe, or Alexander - it makes sense to keep him.  If you don't see them getting snaps on offense/defense then why carry them when you can carry a player who helps you contribute on snaps in the game.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I dunno - its OK to have actual core special teams players.  NE carries Ebner and Slater and they're barely depth at their positions.  They combined for 20 offensive/defensive snaps in 2018/2019 and over 600 special teams snaps.

Just remember - 11 guys play on offense and defense.. some positions rotate a bunch, others not much at all.  If Dimarco is a better special teams player than say... Yeldon, Croom, Marlowe, or Alexander - it makes sense to keep him.  If you don't see them getting snaps on offense/defense then why carry them when you can carry a player who helps you contribute on snaps in the game.  

Correct. I have been making this point for years about New England. They are consistently among the best special teams in the league. They also consistently carry guys on their 53 beyond the kicker, punter and snapper who are there almost entirely for the third phase. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I see this pretty much the way that you do.  Excluding Kicker, punter, and long snapper, playing well on special teams boils down to attitude and effort.  Many special teams players are not the best athletes on their teams and as you point out aren't even relevant as depth at their positions.  Keeping too many special teams only contributors can erode the roster depth.  It's a fine balance.  IMHO certain roster depth players should be clearly told that their spot on the team depends on their effectiveness on special teams.  Bills special teams were anything but special last season.  With a new coordinator, Roberts, and healthy kicker and punter; things should improve.  If DiMarco is that good, maybe he displaces one of the tight ends.  It will be interesting to see how the Bills fill the roster.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I see this pretty much the way that you do.  Excluding Kicker, punter, and long snapper, playing well on special teams boils down to attitude and effort.  Many special teams players are not the best athletes on their teams and as you point out aren't even relevant as depth at their positions.  Keeping too many special teams only contributors can erode the roster depth.  It's a fine balance.  IMHO certain roster depth players should be clearly told that their spot on the team depends on their effectiveness on special teams.  Bills special teams were anything but special last season.  With a new coordinator, Roberts, and healthy kicker and punter; things should improve.  If DiMarco is that good, maybe he displaces one of the tight ends.  It will be interesting to see how the Bills fill the roster.

Yeah - usually you'll see teams carry a relatively dedicated gunner.  Looked like that was Pitts for us after they released holmes.  If they think Neal Gaines Alexander or Perry can take that spot as a dedicated gunner you would think that is it for Pitts unless his coverage abilities have improved.  Dimarco and Lacy could be competing for a job in that same regard.  If lacy is surpassed by the other backers and they think they could get similar special teams coverage he may be on the outs.

Or we could decide we just want a fullback and that's that ? 

The Bills have a deep team this year. I see no value in keeping DiMarco over an extra OL or WR or DB. It may come down to Ray-Ray or DiMarco or Siran Neal or Teller. I would just rather have someone that may contribute more than what DiMarco gives. The running game has gotten worse each year since he’s been here and he can’t catch. Lee Smith is a superior blocker and can fill a lot of what DiMarco does. He’s an absolute waste of a roster spot imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct. I have been making this point for years about New England. They are consistently among the best special teams in the league. They also consistently carry guys on their 53 beyond the kicker, punter and snapper who are there almost entirely for the third phase. 

They also have a good punter and kicker.  We spent some money to improve the kicking game after carpenter fell off a cliff.  They also haven't shied away from improving the punting game by adding young players and moving on from Schmidt.  

We were almost 6 yards behind the league leaders in net punting average.  League average was over 68 punts per team - This amounts to over 400 yards per season.  Thats a lot of field position for our defense.  You want to see more Fair catches, and more in 20s too.

Yeah, fans seem to always think he is on the roster bubble, but all indications from the decision makers and players have been that they love Dimarco. He's a roster lock.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have a deep team this year. I see no value in keeping DiMarco over an extra OL or WR or DB. It may come down to Ray-Ray or DiMarco or Siran Neal or Teller. I would just rather have someone that may contribute more than what DiMarco gives. The running game has gotten worse each year since he’s been here and he can’t catch. Lee Smith is a superior blocker and can fill a lot of what DiMarco does. He’s an absolute waste of a roster spot imo.

I agree that Dimarco has to show value to the staff, but team chemistry has to be considered in that equation, which I'm sure the coaches will. 

I respect a lot of your posts, so you don t need a lecture from me about leadership. It's just that we lost OUR biggest leader in Kyle, still have Zo  but could use all the help we can get in that dept, with so many new faces...but again without sacrificing a roster spot for a starter/future starter

I understand the anti Dimarco sentiment on this board as it may prevent one of your favorite bubble player from making the 53 man roster.  Poor special teams arguably cost this team two games last year (at Texans and home against the Jets).  We need to improve in that area and if Dimarco is an integral part of that we need him on the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I understand the anti Dimarco sentiment on this board as it may prevent one of your favorite bubble player from making the 53 man roster.  Poor special teams arguably cost this team two games last year (at Texans and home against the Jets).  We need to improve in that area and if Dimarco is an integral part of that we need him on the team.  

Yup. He is probably the least sexy pick to make the 53, but if the coaches really value his ST contributions and locker room presence then it seems prudent to keep him at this moment. Maybe others can step up in those areas over the course of camp and make him expendable...those last couple of roster spots appear to be a real tough decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I agree that Dimarco has to show value to the staff, but team chemistry has to be considered in that equation, which I'm sure the coaches will. 

I respect a lot of your posts, so you don t need a lecture from me about leadership. It's just that we lost OUR biggest leader in Kyle, still have Zo  but could use all the help we can get in that dept, with so many new faces...but again without sacrificing a roster spot for a starter/future starter

As far as I’m concerned this is the perfect time to turn over the keys of leadership (outside of Zo). It’s time for Josh, Edmunds, one of those safeties and Morse to take the reigns.