Andrew Luck excuse thread 2019

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Never in any of these threads have I said Andrew Luck was a bad dude in any way.  Contrary to what some may think, I have always liked him.  I feel really bad for him having to retire.

He pretty much said he has lost the love of the game.  He isn't the first and won't be the last.  He deserves a lot of credit for not milking paychecks which he clearly could have done.  He said his love waned as he continuously battled injuries.  I have no doubt that was part of it.  The lifelong grooming and overblown expectations couldn't have helped either.

He will probably do very well in some profession whether inside football or not.  

As long as it doesn’t involve speaking. Billboards, clothes model & memes are fine. Don’t let him talk.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Never in any of these threads have I said Andrew Luck was a bad dude in any way.  Contrary to what some may think, I have always liked him.  I feel really bad for him having to retire.

He pretty much said he has lost the love of the game.  He isn't the first and won't be the last.  He deserves a lot of credit for not milking paychecks which he clearly could have done.  He said his love waned as he continuously battled injuries.  I have no doubt that was part of it.  The lifelong grooming and overblown expectations couldn't have helped either.

He will probably do very well in some profession whether inside football or not.  

This is a kind of lame conclusion to this tradition. I expected better.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This is a kind of lame conclusion to this tradition. I expected better.

I thought it was too soon for a "see I told you so".  The time will arrive for that but my comments will be less about Luck and more about people blindly following the herd.

21 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He was mentally exhausted from the chronic cycle of injury-pain-rehab-pain-rehab-injury-pain-rehab over the last 4 years, which ended up being no fun anymore...when all you are doing is constantly rehabbing and not getting to actually do what you love its got to be draining...his body simply betrayed him like it has many other NFL players...wonder how much the Colts blame themselves for this considering his OLine was terrible for much of his time there which forced him to take far too many big hits.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:11 PM, bbb said:

I saw that Luck retired and my first thought was 4mer 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:55 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Me too. :cry:  :P

He'll be back as the 4mer4merp4mer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He was mentally exhausted from the chronic cycle of injury-pain-rehab-pain-rehab-injury-pain-rehab over the last 4 years, which ended up being no fun anymore...when all you are doing is constantly rehabbing and not getting to actually do what you love its got to be draining...his body simply betrayed him like it has many other NFL players...wonder how much the Colts blame themselves for this considering his OLine was terrible for much of his time there which forced him to take far too many big hits.

Good points—but I doubt the brain trust in Indy is spending too much time in self reflection over terrible Olines of yesteryear—if they were that sensitive about that, then they would’ve addressed it sooner in his career for his sake, imho. 

6 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Good points—but I doubt the brain trust in Indy is spending too much time in self reflection over terrible Olines of yesteryear—if they were that sensitive about that, then they would’ve addressed it sooner in his career for his sake, imho. 

Yeah but hindsight is always 20-20... Perhaps they saw the beatings Big Ben and Rodgers were able to endure throughout their careers and figured he could do the same...

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I thought it was too soon for a "see I told you so".  The time will arrive for that but my comments will be less about Luck and more about people blindly following the herd.

Look on the bright side.  You can redirect your time and energy from this crusade into the UFO thread

From before his NFL career even started, Andrew Luck's upside was to equal the expectations set for him.  That is because he arrived at a time when the 24/7 media hyperbole was also arriving.  The bar was set so high that there was no way for anyone to overachieve.  This was, of course, ridiculous.  

Luck had had a strong college career and displayed many positive attributes. Genetic concerns, his father was absolutely horrible at being a QB, were ignored.  The media train rolled, picking up steam at every imaginable point.  Luck had the personality that most would value in a friend but lacked the borderline narcissism often displayed by the prototype sports hero.  Nobody noticed.  The narrative was in place.

Early in his NFL career it was clear that his skill set would produce in fits and starts but that he also lacked killer instinct.  The Colts, having been a powerhouse just a year before he arrived, were also in the worst division in the history of professional sports.  When Luck sputtered, the Colts were to blame, when he excelled, it was all him.  None of this crap came from Luck himself, it all came from the media.  Luck himself never threw anyone under any bus.

This narrative held for his whole career.  Easy plays were missed but that got ignored.  Other teams choked away big leads  which were deemed Luck orchestrated comebacks.  Horrible defenses were able to completely shut him down at times.  None of that mattered.  Narrative.

Most fans bought this crap and still do.  Grigson, Irsay, blah, blah, blah.  Narratives are wrong all the time but they never go away.  We all see it first hand with Josh Allen.  Maybe Allen will be great, maybe he won't, but "accuracy" will still be discussed even if he wins 1000 games in a row.  Sometimes these narratives prove correct and sometimes they don't but they never go away.  People still wonder about a Manziel comeback for Pete's sake.

Luck was deemed the next Gretzky/Jordan/etc.. His career should have resembled Tim Raines.  Hype at the beginning, some moderate struggles, tenacity that helped build it, and ultimately HOF success but not the stuff of legends.  Instead we were told he was the equal of the all time greats and we were supposed to buy it.  Many did.

I can't speak to the psychology of what drove Luck's retirement.  I'm sure he was honest about the injuries but wonder if that was the whole story.  Living up to an impossible narrative that he didn't create and probably didn't want, couldn't have helped.

14 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Luck went to Stanford (#2 rated on the planet)

not Buff State

or Appalachia Neck Community College.

He clearly has the mental capacity to decide his own future, within his own parameters!

ap_19237105642160-e1566704233263.jpg?w=1

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, GreggTX said:

How about this one? He doesn't need to explain himself to anyone or make excuses. Injuries have made throwing too painful for him to continue. That's not an "excuse". It's a reason.

A guy decides he doesn't want to become a physical and/or mental cripple later in life. Seems like sound judgement to me. He doesn't owe anything to anyone, and he didn't just try and milk a paycheck. I say good for him. Given all the evidence out there now, I really won't have all that much sympathy for football players in the future falling prey to CTG or crippled knees and hips.

19 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

From before his NFL career even started, Andrew Luck's upside was to equal the expectations set for him.  That is because he arrived at a time when the 24/7 media hyperbole was also arriving.  The bar was set so high that there was no way for anyone to overachieve.  This was, of course, ridiculous.  

Luck had had a strong college career and displayed many positive attributes. Genetic concerns, his father was absolutely horrible at being a QB, were ignored.  The media train rolled, picking up steam at every imaginable point.  Luck had the personality that most would value in a friend but lacked the borderline narcissism often displayed by the prototype sports hero.  Nobody noticed.  The narrative was in place.

Early in his NFL career it was clear that his skill set would produce in fits and starts but that he also lacked killer instinct.  The Colts, having been a powerhouse just a year before he arrived, were also in the worst division in the history of professional sports.  When Luck sputtered, the Colts were to blame, when he excelled, it was all him.  None of this crap came from Luck himself, it all came from the media.  Luck himself never threw anyone under any bus.

This narrative held for his whole career.  Easy plays were missed but that got ignored.  Other teams choked away big leads  which were deemed Luck orchestrated comebacks.  Horrible defenses were able to completely shut him down at times.  None of that mattered.  Narrative.

Most fans bought this crap and still do.  Grigson, Irsay, blah, blah, blah.  Narratives are wrong all the time but they never go away.  We all see it first hand with Josh Allen.  Maybe Allen will be great, maybe he won't, but "accuracy" will still be discussed even if he wins 1000 games in a row.  Sometimes these narratives prove correct and sometimes they don't but they never go away.  People still wonder about a Manziel comeback for Pete's sake.

Luck was deemed the next Gretzky/Jordan/etc.. His career should have resembled Tim Raines.  Hype at the beginning, some moderate struggles, tenacity that helped build it, and ultimately HOF success but not the stuff of legends.  Instead we were told he was the equal of the all time greats and we were supposed to buy it.  Many did.

I can't speak to the psychology of what drove Luck's retirement.  I'm sure he was honest about the injuries but wonder if that was the whole story.  Living up to an impossible narrative that he didn't create and probably didn't want, couldn't have helped.

There's some truth to this.  They were calling him the best prospect since Elway and people just assumed he would be Peyton Manning 2.0.  However, he seemed more like somebody with the mantra of the employee that works in the back of the Geek Squad at Best Buy than a leader of men that could will a team to a championship.  I don't think I ever saw him yell at a WR or lineman.  He actually complimented defenders.  He was too damn nice.

What's frustrating is that last year was the first time Luck had a decent o-line and defense which led to the best year of his career..  They gave him some more help this year at WR and it seemed this might finally be the year he rises from a playoff QB to a Superbowl QB.........and he retires.  Which to me seemed totally consistent with his personality.  The funny thing is there's a lot more people that pry are thinking "what could have been" if he still played and he pry isn't one of them.