Jets desperate at C, bring Ryan Kalil out of retirement (update: not going well)

7 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Solid signing ??

The Jets could bench C Ryan Kalil.

The Jets did bench Kalil in Monday night's fiasco of a loss to the Browns, and coach Adam Gase hinted that will remain the case for the time being. "We’re probably aways from where he wants to be," Gase said Tuesday. He then later backtracked. The Jets lured ex-Panther Kalil out of semi-retirement in August. 2019 is his age-34 campaign. Jonotthan Harrison is the next man up for Gang 

Colin Cowherd:

On the latest edition of ‘The Herd with Colin Cowherd’, host and popular sports analyst Colin Cowherd named Sam Darnold his No. 1 breakout star in the NFL for 2019:

“I can make the argument that no team has elevated the talent around their young quarterback better than the New York Jets. They went from no running backs to a star in Le’Veon Bell. The Jets didn’t have a slot receiver, they snagged Jamison Crowder from Washington. Not one, not two, but three interior upgrades to their offensive line.

In Sam Darnold’s last three games of the year, he threw five touchdowns, no picks, and had a 102.3 passer rating. Remember he was the youngest quarterback in league history to start NFL games last year. Darnold is older, they have an offensive head coach, a star at running back, and upgrades to the trenches.

Also because the Jets biggest weakness is at cornerback, that means they’re going to be in a lot of shoot-outs. This is a team that’s going to have to score points to win games. Adam Gase is going to take the training wheels off Darnold and he’s going to let him sling it. I think Darnold is going to have a really big jump from year No. 1 to year No. 2.”

Slam Dunk Fail

• Haha (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

there's an even better thread where they are hammering each other over whether Kaep could save their season

He'd be their best bet, but why would he play behind that line and end up like Siemian?

I cant imagine a single QB sitting in the comforts of his house, watching that game last night, thinking "I hope they call me!"

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Colin Cowherd:

On the latest edition of ‘The Herd with Colin Cowherd’, host and popular sports analyst Colin Cowherd named Sam Darnold his No. 1 breakout star in the NFL for 2019:

“I can make the argument that no team has elevated the talent around their young quarterback better than the New York Jets. They went from no running backs to a star in Le’Veon Bell. The Jets didn’t have a slot receiver, they snagged Jamison Crowder from Washington. Not one, not two, but three interior upgrades to their offensive line.

In Sam Darnold’s last three games of the year, he threw five touchdowns, no picks, and had a 102.3 passer rating. Remember he was the youngest quarterback in league history to start NFL games last year. Darnold is older, they have an offensive head coach, a star at running back, and upgrades to the trenches.

Also because the Jets biggest weakness is at cornerback, that means they’re going to be in a lot of shoot-outs. This is a team that’s going to have to score points to win games. Adam Gase is going to take the training wheels off Darnold and he’s going to let him sling it. I think Darnold is going to have a really big jump from year No. 1 to year No. 2.”

Slam Dunk Fail

Cowherd is a big subscriber to the "young QBs must have offensive head coaches" nonsense. Sure that is nice. But good head coaches matter more. McDermott is. Gase isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Well, sure, they almost HAVE to say that. But I bet it becomes a different discussion if/when the Jets actually call up with a real offer.

I guess I could see it since he has a lot he probably wants to prove. But damn, I dont know if they could pay me enough to play behind that line and in that offense.