Ed Oliver: “I can’t touch Aaron Donald with a 10-ft pole”

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

From what I hear, it's the wrong comparison. I am hearing John Randle! :thumbsup:

That’s pretty good company, too. But ever since Oliver’s eye-popping pro day, it’s been “the next Aaron Donald” mantra. What’s ironic to me is that leading up to the ‘14 draft, a couple personnel folks around the league were pointing to Donald as the next John Randle. 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know if he’s humble. He didn’t seem like it in the embedded series. But McDermott is trying his best to humble him.

My term for it is "self - aware."   He knows he has a lot of talent/ability, but recognizes his lack of experience means he's got lots of work to do before he can be considered one of the better pro players at his position.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

That' was my comparison for him

I've heard others, including John Randle, make that comparison.

5 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Makes me think of another Bill like that: Jerry Hughes. I'm totally okay with that.

Ed, Hughes, Tre, Jordan Phillips, Edmunds....I think the intensity level is going to be off the charts with the defense this year and I can't wait to see it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think this is probably for the best. I seriously doubt Donald wants to be touched with a 10 foot pole. Don’t make that man angry!

10 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I like Chris Simms and his outside the box analysis. He has a nice non linear approach that explores all of a players strengths. Yeah, Simms raves about Allen where others do not. Look what he said about Vosean Joseph...he basically grouped him with the two Devins pre draft time.

Let us all hope he turns out to be the smartest man in the room! 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think this is probably for the best. I seriously doubt Donald wants to be touched with a 10 foot pole. Don’t make that man angry!

Let us all hope he turns out to be the smartest man in the room! 

If he is even close...the Bills fortunes will improve! Man, I hope so!

Edited by Rocket94

10 hours ago, eball said:

Ed's comment raises an interesting question:  how many people actually own 10-ft poles?  And why are they 10 feet?  Is it the decimal system?

And why the Imperial system and not Metric?  Why not 3-meter Hungarians, right?

I don't understand the obsession with Oliver's sack totals in his rookie season - as a DT.  Jesus.  I just want the guy to blow up timing.  Imagine getting off the field with the opposing offense (yeah, the Pats*) going 4-and-out instead of conversion after conversion.  Just give me THAT.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

And why the Imperial system and not Metric?  Why not 3-meter Hungarians, right?

I don't understand the obsession with Oliver's sack totals in his rookie season - as a DT.  Jesus.  I just want the guy to blow up timing.  Imagine getting off the field with the opposing offense (yeah, the Pats*) going 4-and-out instead of conversion after conversion.  Just give me THAT.

Love it! But to honestly answer your question? Because we're Americans! Metric system be damned. We are big enough to support our own metrics. Ha!

If Dirty Harry develops into what he's capable of and Ed hits his high ceiling we will have a dominant interior line for years to come. So far I like Ed's approach to training camp he came on a little slow and now he's terrorizing o-line. Remember it's week one of training camp he'll only get better. We need Morse to stay healthy

21 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Allen is going to be good.

I dont know I figure me and Simms will have to get him pretty drunk to find out.?

37 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

If Dirty Harry develops into what he's capable of and Ed hits his high ceiling we will have a dominant interior line for years to come. So far I like Ed's approach to training camp he came on a little slow and now he's terrorizing o-line. Remember it's week one of training camp he'll only get better. We need Morse to stay healthy

Yes or Oliver may send Josh to IR

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I dont know I figure me and Simms will have to get him pretty drunk to find out.?

Yes or Oliver may send Josh to IR

Allen better not drink too much. The emergence of Patrick Mahomes and his sick performance last year has raised the bar and has certainly put additional pressure on other young quarterbacks to perform. I Don't mean throwing balls out of stadiums either!

Edited by Rocket94

34 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Allen better not drink too much. The emergence of Patrick Mahomes and his sick performance last year has raised the bar and has certainly put additional pressure on other young quarterbacks to perform. I Don't mean throwing balls out of stadiums either!

It took Drew Brees til his 4th season to put it together.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Does anyone here really think that Allen is going to be a fully polished player by the end of year two?

I say this as a fan of his and I honestly think we've seen improvement this training camp, but I don't think we are going to see his best this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Does anyone here really think that Allen is going to be a fully polished player by the end of year two?

I say this as a fan of his and I honestly think we've seen improvement this training camp, but I don't think we are going to see his best this year.

No not at all. In the near future we will. Allen is young and learning the pro game. Allen is in his apprenticeship.

25 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

All I'm looking/hoping for is "better."

I think Beane still has work to do, as far as surrounding Allen with the proper amount of legitimate talent.  I think (hope) that Allen WILL have better talent around him this year; and that Allen WILL be better this year.

But I do agree that Allen at his best is still at least a year away ... via his own growth and the level of talent around him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

One of the greatest seasons by a QB in history, regardless of number of years in the league, is now the barometer for all second year QBs? Prepare for some disappointment.  Mahomes himself will be hard pressed to repeat last year’s performance in KC with all those weapons and Andy Reid calling plays, let alone second year QBs with no where near as good supporting casts. 

Allen could fall well short of Mahomes’s performance last year and still have a helluva good year. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

One of the greatest seasons by a QB in history, regardless of number of years in the league, is now the barometer for all second year QBs? Prepare for some disappointment.  Mahomes himself will be hard pressed to repeat last year’s performance in KC with all those weapons and Andy Reid calling plays, let alone second year QBs with no where near as good supporting casts. 

Allen could fall well short of Mahomes’s performance last year and still have a helluva good year. 

Yes, of course Allen can. I expect good things from him. I was obviously using Mahomes as an example of how fast a QB can evolve in today's game. Success can be measured on an individual's circumstances and the organization/team that he plays on as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2019 at 10:03 AM, eball said:

Ed's comment raises an interesting question:  how many people actually own 10-ft poles?  And why are they 10 feet?  Is it the decimal system?

I have two fifteen-foot poles, and I am willing to touch anyone with them. I usually just clean the pool with them though.

• Haha (+1) 1