Frank Gore never contemplated retirement

WhoTom

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001038339/article/bills-rb-frank-gore-never-contemplated-retirement

Snip:

"As long as I'm healthy and feeling good, I will compete with anybody. So I'm not tripping on that," he said.

Neither is he tripping about retirement.

"Nah, no, I'm not thinking about it right now," he said. "I'm just going out there every day, trying to compete and try to win a job. If I feel like I can't go out there this year, I'll say, 'Forget it.' If I still think I can go and feel good and [I'm] still enjoying it, I'll go. But right now, I'll just take it one day at a time and see where it goes."

Coach Sean McDermott marveled at what Gore can accomplish at his age but wouldn't put a prediction on how much work the ageless wonder could get in 2019.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Frank Gore on this team. 

Mea Culpa because I initially hated the signing 

Personally I was hoping they would sign Curtis Martin... but Gore will do I guess... This is 2005 right? 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I can see the Bills not resigning McCoy next season but bringing back Gore for another season

Gotta see how the season goes.  Gore is at that age where he could break down after 4 games.  And if people wanted to pay me millions and I was healthy, I’d keep playing too.

Gore’s career is so funny.  He’s not a HOF but he is going to have amazing career numbers.  He also used to get hurt all the team and now he never does.  It’s so strange but awesome for him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Frank Gore on this team. 

Mea Culpa because I initially hated the signing 

He's the quintessential vet presence on offense, a la Lorenzo Alexander. Plus he can actually still play if last year in MIA is any indication. I think a lot of the 'culture' McD and Beane are always talking about revolves around what guys like Gore bring to the team in terms of leadership...he's a respected vet around the league in his own right and if he buys in it can lend a lot of credibility to the staff/management.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gotta see how the season goes.  Gore is at that age where he could break down after 4 games.  And if people wanted to pay me millions and I was healthy, I’d keep playing too.

Gore’s career is so funny.  He’s not a HOF but he is going to have amazing career numbers.  He also used to get hurt all the team and now he never does.  It’s so strange but awesome for him. 

Gore is a lock for the Hall imo

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Don't be so sure about that.

Gore, while a good to very good player, is why HOF become watered down.  Very few times have anyone thought of him as a dominant HOF talent.  His numbers are high because he was able to stick around for a long time (a skill in its own but shouldn’t earn you HOF status).  

Imo, the HOF should be the greatest and most dominant players.  I don’t think Gore, who has had a good and long career, Falls in that category.  McCoy has a better shot IMO. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gore will be a 1st ballot easy

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Gore is a lock for the Hall imo

That’s why HOFs are corny now then.  It would be like Harold Baines getting in baseball. Again, very good player but I think your resume should be better than 5 pro bowls in 14 years, 0 all pros, and 0 rushing titles. 

Just now, eball said:

Shady is in also.  

I think so too but these HOFs have gotten way too loose with who gets in.  I have never watched Gore and thought HOfer.  Neither have most fans.  But he’s had a long and good career and that’s amazing in itself. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Would not be surprised at all if he goes into the HOF

I think by that logic Matt Stafford will be a HOF if he plays long enough and I just think that’s wrong. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s why HOFs are corny now then.  It would be like Harold Baines getting in baseball. Again, very good player but I think your resume should be better than 5 pro bowls in 14 years, 0 all pros, and 0 rushing titles. 

I think there's room in the HoF for career guys like Gore. He may not have dominated the position but longevity like his is special and warrants a place for me 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I think there's room in the HoF for career guys like Gore. He may not have dominated the position but longevity like his is special and warrants a place for me 

I agree on his longevity but that belongs in a place for the greatest players in the history of the game? Did you ever watch Gore and think HOFer?  I never did.  He was a solid to good rb for a long time but he never jumped off the screen.  McCoy did that.  That’s what the HOF should be.  

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think so too but these HOFs have gotten way too loose with who gets in.  I have never watched Gore and thought HOfer.  Neither have most fans.  But he’s had a long and good career and that’s amazing in itself. 

I think by that logic Matt Stafford will be a HOF if he plays long enough and I just think that’s wrong. 

I get the point you're making, but I still don't agree when it comes to Gore. 

I've watched him pretty closely his entire career. He played on some terrible SF teams early on, yet still produced. Having that longevity and consistency should be viewed as positive reason why he gets in, and not as an "in by default" reason IMO. He's also been one of the best blocking RBs in the league over the last 20 years, and has pretty good scrimmage yards numbers as well. Had he retired after his 10 years with SF, his numbers would be comparable to Thurman Thomas' 11 year career. Granted, TT had some great/elite years, but also some dud years. 

I've considered Gore to be HoF worthy for 3-4 years now, and I've always thought he was the most underrated player in the league for a long time. Continuing to play has solidified that HoF opinion for me.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree on his longevity but that belongs in a place for the greatest players in the history of the game? Did you ever watch Gore and think HOFer?  I never did.  He was a solid to good rb for a long time but he never jumped off the screen.  McCoy did that.  That’s what the HOF should be.  

Fair enough. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat