Oline has me worried.

gjv001

With the large influx of Olinemen I was starting to believe that the major weakness we suffered with last year was behind us. However, the injuries and poor performance of the Oline at camp on day 6 is very concerning. I know it's early, but as of today the four highest paid free agent Oline signees are either injured or unable to crack the starting lineup. Josh Allen was under extreme pressure throughout the prctice.

3 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

With the large influx of Olinemen I was starting to believe that the major weakness we suffered with last year was behind us. However, the injuries and poor performance of the Oline at camp on day 6 is very concerning. I know it's early, but as of today the four highest paid free agent Oline signees are either injured or unable to crack the starting lineup. Josh Allen was under extreme pressure throughout the prctice.

Yes WE ARE at that point of the Offseason, I wonder when it was coming.  Let me ask how did they look in the 9 on 7 or the team sessions that are CLOSED to media?  Have you been to camp to see how they are actually doing?  Even outside media has taken notice of how night and day they look in performance.

Edited by MAJBobby

To be fair for day 6 they were juggling a lot of pieces around just to see how guys do at different spots, and Morse isn't in there.

But you are right to be concerned, if these guys don't gel together, then this offense is going to be bad again... It will slow Allen's growth, it will negate the signings we made of weapons for Allen, and likely cause us to not be a playoff contender.

So it's not a small thing if these new pieces can't come together...

All that said, we have time! We still have a week before the first preseason game, and then we have 4 weeks with 4 preseason games for these guys to get used to each other, the coaches to tinker, and for things to gel.

The real work is done during contact practices and games, that's how the chemistry is going to build.  Sure shorts and helmet practices are good for these guys to learn basics and know where each other will be, but at the end of the day the way they'll build chemistry is when the bullets fly knowing where to be and the tendencies of the guys next to them.  

If by week 3 of Preseason we don't have our starting 5 set and they are still looking shaky, then worry, but for right now, take it with a grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

When you begin to put the pads on and hiting your gonna get bumped up. Normal to get headaches as well wouldn't be to worried. The bills traning staff over the last three years has been great with resting players, and keeping them healthy

• Like (+1) 1

They're giving Ford every chance to start at RT, but i don't think they'll hesitate to roll with Nsekhe.  If no one takes the RG spot, Ford starting there where he doesn't have to deal as much with speed may be a good place to help get more comfortable with the NFL game.  

I kind of hope the backup C job gets a bit more nailed down too - Morse has missed time the last 2 years.  Signing Long and Feleciano made me think they wanted an upgrade over Bodine (and i want an upgrade over bodine - he sucks).

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 2

Mitch Morse has me concerned, only in the fact that you just never know when he might get his bell rung and be out a couple games.

Aside from that though, I think we have a lot of potential.  Dawkins/Ford could be book-end young tackles, and if needed Ty Nsekhe (a good player) is in the fold.

Spain and Long are average at G, but average is a lot better than what we've had.  Feliciano gives us solid veteran depth at the position.

Morse is a stud as long as he can avoid concussions.  That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Bodine given we've already had to put Morse in protocol.

Most teams struggle to put out 4-5 average guys on their OL.  I think we can, at the very least, do that.

OL is a position where, 1 or 2 above average guys and the rest being average, is considered one of the better units in the league.

Edited by SCBills