Bills Training Camp Day 7 - 8/1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All good points.  

One you didn't mention is...look at what the media, defensive coaches and players are saying.  While nothing is certain until it's a fall Sunday, we're seeing a lot of quotes we didn't see last year.  I can't find it, but I believe the phrase "ass-whupping" or "asses handed to us today" was used by one of the defensive coaches at one point. 
July 7/27, first pads:
*Excellent touch pass from Allen to McCoy along right side in 11 on 11 against first team defense #Bills  — Mike Catalana (@MikeCatalana) July 27, 2019
*Allen showing off his touch today. Nice touch on several passes to Brown and one to Shady on a wheel along the sideline. Giving receivers an opportunity to run up under it.
— Cover 1 (@Cover_1_) July 27, 2019  [Erik Turner of Cover 1 was one of Allen's harshest critics last year in TC]
*“As a defensive guy, my blood pressure gets pretty high,”McDermott says when asked about Josh Allen and John Brown connecting on a couple deep balls Saturday. #Bills
— Jay Skurski (@JaySkurski) July 28, 2019
*I’m anticipating a very re-focused and angry defense facing Josh Allen today in team drills. Sean McDermott said their were fundamental lapses yesterday with pads on for first time. Expect the DBs to be in attack mode. #Bills  — Matt Parrino (@MattParrino) July 28, 2019

We didn't hear that kind of talk last year - neither comments about nice touch passes from Allen ("he's gonna break fingers" was more common), nor did we hear comments about the D getting whupped.

But then there's this from July 31
*Josh Allen has had defenders around him and in his face all morning.  The Bills are down a couple starting OL and that defense is good, so there’s some perspective there, but it’s been noticeable and too often. — Sal Capaccio  (@SalSports) July 31, 2019
and from August 1:

*Defensive backs coach John Butler after a red zone drill against the offense: "that was a thorough a** whipping". He was right. — Thad (@thadbrown7)

Having the OL starters make a difference.  Big difference.  Crossed fingers.

Oliver is a guy that is pretty intense on the field in or out of pads, and I noted that Allen said he had a bruised calf that had Oliver's name on it and half-jokingly said that Oliver probably earned a talk from the coaches. There is a clear rule about how your defense practices against your starting QB. Imagine if a rookie did that to Brady in a training camp - probably go back to his dorm and find his stuff all packed, a parting check, and a note saying good luck with your future endeavors.

Allen is going against the #1 pass defense in the league, in passing drills, in the red zone. Honestly, if our defense did not start to close the gap on some of the things Daboll has been calling in camp I would have been a bit concerned.

Allen's worst day also came when we were also testing our O-line depth - I would say at this point we know there is a bit of a drop at Center with Bodine and Feliciano was not earning a lot of kudos trying to lock down a guard spot - don't give up yet Teller there may still be an opportunity to crack the starting lineup.

Allen is not perfect either and he will launch some throws that get away from him and he is going to have some up and down days. As fans we have to see where this goes and take the longer view of a QB who is an admitted gun-slinger who has always thought that dumping the ball off was akin to losing on a play. He is trying to remake himself, to dial down his arm and take the chip shot. He is also being coached to avoid doing too much which either leads to putting himself in harm's way or doing something stupid with the ball. That is going to be an inner struggle he is going to have to actively squash for a while because of the competitor he is.

I wish there was a cut and dry answer regarding Allen. I think we all realize that there is more Brett Favre in him that Drew Brees, so a longer row to hoe in regards to becoming adept at short-yardage game management, but at least he is not Trent Edwards. Remember when we would be down in a game, there was 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter, and it was 4 and 12, and he would dump off a 5 yard pass that would get swallowed up (game over) - and we all knew he was going to check it down even if he had nothing to lose airing it out.

I would rather have that QB with the stones to drive the ball down the field than that tentative QB who's throttle is stuck in "limp mode".

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FYI 

I put a bunch of the GMFB tweets in the  GMFB Love thread 

Haven't checked the other thread. You may have already posted this, but just in case here’s the full interview -

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Oliver is a guy that is pretty intense on the field in or out of pads, and I noted that Allen said he had a bruised calf that had Oliver's name on it and half-jokingly said that Oliver probably earned a talk from the coaches. There is a clear rule about how your defense practices against your starting QB. Imagine if a rookie did that to Brady in a training camp - probably go back to his dorm and find his stuff all packed, a parting check, and a note saying good luck with your future endeavors.

Allen is going against the #1 pass defense in the league, in passing drills, in the red zone. Honestly, if our defense did not start to close the gap on some of the things Daboll has been calling in camp I would have been a bit concerned.

Allen's worst day also came when we were also testing our O-line depth - I would say at this point we know there is a bit of a drop at Center with Bodine and Feliciano was not earning a lot of kudos trying to lock down a guard spot - don't give up yet Teller there may still be an opportunity to crack the starting lineup.

Allen is not perfect either and he will launch some throws that get away from him and he is going to have some up and down days. As fans we have to see where this goes and take the longer view of a QB who is an admitted gun-slinger who has always thought that dumping the ball off was akin to losing on a play. He is trying to remake himself, to dial down his arm and take the chip shot. He is also being coached to avoid doing too much which either leads to putting himself in harm's way or doing something stupid with the ball. That is going to be an inner struggle he is going to have to actively squash for a while because of the competitor he is.

I wish there was a cut and dry answer regarding Allen. I think we all realize that there is more Brett Favre in him that Drew Brees, so a longer row to hoe in regards to becoming adept at short-yardage game management, but at least he is not Trent Edwards. Remember when we would be down in a game, there was 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter, and it was 4 and 12, and he would dump off a 5 yard pass that would get swallowed up (game over) - and we all knew he was going to check it down even if he had nothing to lose airing it out.

I would rather have that QB with the stones to drive the ball down the field than that tentative QB who's throttle is stuck in "limp mode".

Great points and I would add that with all the injuries to our TE's wasn't Allen effectively working with the 4th & 5th string TE's in that Red Zone drill?  IMO when you're down that close to the goal line your TE is probably the most important receiver on the offense.

Frankly, I like the body chemistry & words coming out of the Bill's training camp. 

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Great points and I would add that with all the injuries to our TE's wasn't Allen effectively working with the 4th & 5th string TE's in that Red Zone drill?  IMO when you're down that close to the goal line your TE is probably the most important receiver on the offense.

Frankly, I like the body chemistry & words coming out of the Bill's training camp. 

I do too, but I am trying to "keep it real" even though I think we have two very winnable games to start out the season.

I also really have to see the Special Teams in action - last year they cost us more than a few games. A small area with a big impact on our field position as we played with the field tilted towards our end zone for most of the season and Haus was shanking makable field goals after the cheap shot he took.

Edited by WideNine