Bills Training Camp Day 7 - 8/1

17 hours ago, Brian3488 said:

Anyone see Oliver constantly rubbing his hip flexor on NFL network? Hope it's nothing

the day i don't watch ,they're on the network <_<

17 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not a huge fan of our “let down day” being when the big cameras are on... 

we are just sand bagging for the league :flirt:

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Decent interview but didn't say a lot

Said game slowing down a lot for him this year

They asked if he would blitz more this year but he deflected and wouldn't answer. Said he will do whatever the coaches ask him to do.

Asked if he follows the other LB's from his draft class and he said "Not really, I'm just focussed on what we're doing here"

Asked about how focussed team is on Patriots* he said 'We just prepare game to game for whoever we play next"

said he is excited to play against the Steelers and his brothers.

The Process.

14 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Judas Priest sharing QB stats from practice just seems so dumb AND misleading.   Thad Brown has Allen at 8/19 for 72 yards, 5 TD's(!) & 1 INT.  Brown calls out the dropped INT but not the dropped passes - biased much?  All I want to hear from the so called professional "experts" is an overall assessment of Allen's performance.  Given the nature of practice keep the descriptors general and subjective.  Don't insult our intelligence by providing numbers as if they mean anything from a practice.  The coaches must laugh there asses off at this stuff.

Thad hated Allen last year, so he looks for all the negative.

• Like (+1) 1

McD   "I think Ray-Ray McCloud has had a real nice training camp to this point"

Zay Jones   "I think Ray-Ray is probably  the most improved player within our receiver room in my personal opinion"

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:
9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Man ***** that guy.

Fairly certain everyone here -including our doubters!-  just uttered the very same thought.

Me? I yelled it so loud the neighbors heard!

Was it  --   Bless his LITTLE Heart?  

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No one is fooling Pepi.

WOW What a tool

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fairly certain everyone here -including our doubters!-  just uttered the very same thought.

Me? I yelled it so loud the neighbors heard!

This is why you’re on the community watch’s watch list. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

It was said earlier in the thread that this likely is because the D line can’t just pin their ears back and kill the QB so they end up

getting more batted balls because of it. I’m not sweating it

The standing still and waiting to bat the ball is what would let Josh run it in for a TD, were it not for the fact that they are working on his passing.

I  also think there's also something to the fact that they were running heavy Red Zone drills. It's the time that the D gets to shrink the field and put its biggest bodies up the middle.

If the play and some of the throws that we say were the "off" day, I feel pretty good about seeing what he can do vs the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hadn't been to any of the other practices, but had read all the reports that Allen was looking good this camp, and was really looking forward to seeing how he'd improved.  He looked good in the 1v1 drills, but was very underwhelming in the 11v11 portion.  And was glad to read that people who were at all 5 or 6 other practices said he looked much worse today than he had previously.  Because today was not good.  So am more hopeful for the season now than when walking out of Polisini Stadium.

At least 90% of the 11v11 drills were from inside the 10, so almost any completion was going to be a TD.  (And pretty sure 3 of those 5 TDs were little 2 yard crossing routes that the receiver ( at least twice Beasley) took the 6 yards himself.

But Oliver was dominant.  And Poyer had a serious hit on a "welcome to the NFL kid" shot on Singletary.  'Pads, we don't need no stinking pads.'

Ray Ray was pretty noticeable too.

And Singletary will be a good one.

It may be worth noting that short yardage in the red zone was exactly where Allen and the Bills struggled most last season.  So it's exactly where he needs most practice and exactly where we will expect him to look worst.

There's no question in my mind that Morse was a huge upgrade at Center over Bodine or Long.  I had heard other reports that the line was being pushed around much more yesterday than in the previous red-zone practice.  That may be good for Allen and his coaches in giving them a "heads up" that there's still more work to be done as far as having Allen react decisively and get the ball out more quickly in that area of the field vs. the, perhaps "false sense of security" of having the best OL go against a DL that is taking a bit off to avoid killing their teammates.

I'm just crossing fingers and toes that we get Morse back and he plays most of the season at a high level, because Allen and the offense need him.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No one is fooling Pepi.

This is actually hysterically funny in its degree of ineptitude.

Not because there is any guarantee Allen will develop into The Man for us - Jury's still out on that.

But comparing the mobile and athletic Allen and his laser to JP "Statue after Snap" Losman or Nathan "Noodle Arm" Peterman?  ???
If he fails, he will fail for completely different reasons.  This would-be humorist should NOT quit the day job.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's obviously still not clear if Allen will develop into a good NFL QB, but he is already a ***** ton better than Losman, and calling any  NFL QB a tall Nathan Peterman is akin to a punch to the throat. 

Exactly.  In the games he played last season, Allen already showed much more capability as a QB than Peterman ever did - which is why Peterman got pulled for a raw and under-prepared Allen halfway through the first game.

The way I try to get a take on whether a player is doing well or not in training camp is by listening to what he and those around him ON THE TEAM are saying.  It's not an exact science and you have to read between the lines and look at body language but my takeaway on Allen is:

*  First, listen & watch how Allen is behaving.  Last year it became clear that this guy is very hard on himself.  He doesn't blame others when he sucks or makes a bad decision.  So what Allen is saying and more importantly his body language are critical to assessing his performance in PRACTICE.  So far he's come across as in command, upbeat and confident.  I get the clear sense that he's feeling his oats and is loving the new talent the Bill's have brought in on offense.  If he was struggling I would fully expect to see frustration out of Allen in practice and in the post practice interviews.  Instead, he's interviewing more like a guy who just won a game and played well.

*  Second, look and listen to Bean, McDermitt & Dabold.  Given that their professional reputations and income depend on Allen doing well you should be able to get a clue by their demeanor whether Allen is doing good or bad.  So you have to ask the question - do they look like they're walking past the graveyard?  My answer would be a great big HELL NO!  In fact It's the exact opposite as these guys seem upbeat, relaxed and liking what they see in their franchise QB.

* Third, look and listen to what the players around Allen are saying and how they're acting.  Again, it seems pretty clear that Allen is the leader of the offense and I haven't detected in their words or body language a whiff of frustration from the new, VETERAN players that have joined the Bills.  My guess is that Beasley & Brown are figuring out how best to get Allen's attention so they can have all pro stats this year.  They see visions of 1,000 yard seasons with Allen throwing them the ball.

So sure my way doesn't involve a detailed breakdown of every freaking PRACTICE play.  But I think at this point the eye test is the best way to gauge progress as long as you watch more then just Allen.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The way I try to get a take on whether a player is doing well or not in training camp is by listening to what he and those around him ON THE TEAM are saying.  It's not an exact science and you have to read between the lines and look at body language but my takeaway on Allen is:

*  First, listen & watch how Allen is behaving.  Last year it became clear that this guy is very hard on himself.  He doesn't blame others when he sucks or makes a bad decision.  So what Allen is saying and more importantly his body language are critical to assessing his performance in PRACTICE.  So far he's come across as in command, upbeat and confident.  I get the clear sense that he's feeling his oats and is loving the new talent the Bill's have brought in on offense.  If he was struggling I would fully expect to see frustration out of Allen in practice and in the post practice interviews.  Instead, he's interviewing more like a guy who just won a game and played well.

*  Second, look and listen to Bean, McDermitt & Dabold.  Given that their professional reputations and income depend on Allen doing well you should be able to get a clue by their demeanor whether Allen is doing good or bad.  So you have to ask the question - do they look like they're walking past the graveyard?  My answer would be a great big HELL NO!  In fact It's the exact opposite as these guys seem upbeat, relaxed and liking what they see in their franchise QB.

* Third, look and listen to what the players around Allen are saying and how they're acting.  Again, it seems pretty clear that Allen is the leader of the offense and I haven't detected in their words or body language a whiff of frustration from the new, VETERAN players that have joined the Bills.  My guess is that Beasley & Brown are figuring out how best to get Allen's attention so they can have all pro stats this year.  They see visions of 1,000 yard seasons with Allen throwing them the ball.

So sure my way doesn't involve a detailed breakdown of every freaking PRACTICE play.  But I think at this point the eye test is the best way to gauge progress as long as you watch more then just Allen. 

All good points.  

One you didn't mention is...look at what the media, defensive coaches and players are saying.  While nothing is certain until it's a fall Sunday, we're seeing a lot of quotes we didn't see last year.  I can't find it, but I believe the phrase "ass-whupping" or "asses handed to us today" was used by one of the defensive coaches at one point. 
July 7/27, first pads:
*Excellent touch pass from Allen to McCoy along right side in 11 on 11 against first team defense #Bills  — Mike Catalana (@MikeCatalana) July 27, 2019
*Allen showing off his touch today. Nice touch on several passes to Brown and one to Shady on a wheel along the sideline. Giving receivers an opportunity to run up under it.
— Cover 1 (@Cover_1_) July 27, 2019  [Erik Turner of Cover 1 was one of Allen's harshest critics last year in TC]
*“As a defensive guy, my blood pressure gets pretty high,”McDermott says when asked about Josh Allen and John Brown connecting on a couple deep balls Saturday. #Bills
— Jay Skurski (@JaySkurski) July 28, 2019
*I’m anticipating a very re-focused and angry defense facing Josh Allen today in team drills. Sean McDermott said their were fundamental lapses yesterday with pads on for first time. Expect the DBs to be in attack mode. #Bills  — Matt Parrino (@MattParrino) July 28, 2019

We didn't hear that kind of talk last year - neither comments about nice touch passes from Allen ("he's gonna break fingers" was more common), nor did we hear comments about the D getting whupped.

But then there's this from July 31
*Josh Allen has had defenders around him and in his face all morning.  The Bills are down a couple starting OL and that defense is good, so there’s some perspective there, but it’s been noticeable and too often. — Sal Capaccio  (@SalSports) July 31, 2019
and from August 1:

*Defensive backs coach John Butler after a red zone drill against the offense: "that was a thorough a** whipping". He was right. — Thad (@thadbrown7)

Having the OL starters make a difference.  Big difference.  Crossed fingers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just crossing fingers and toes that we get Morse back and he plays most of the season at a high level, because Allen and the offense need him.

Morse is absolutely the key.  Without solid play at center the Bills offense will continue to be pedestrian and will struggle.  You can see it already in camp.  If we have to watch Bodine at Center again, it is going to be a long year.

Edited by FLFan