Kentucky > Army Corps of Engineers: Bye bye Carp!

BringBackFergy

23 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Leave it to Roscoe and Cletus in Kentucky to solve the Asian carp influx. A little backwoods ingenuity addresses the problem created by @ExiledInIllinois and his 10 hours per week brethren. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/videos/us/2019/07/31/asian-carp-shock-electric-fishing-orig-cl.cnn

Oh, no. That will never fly at The Locks of @ExiledInIllinois.  There is actually labor involved in scooping the carp into the boat and that's a deal breaker for his crew.

On a related note, Mrs. @ExiledInIllinois has found a cattle prod helpful in getting his lazy ass off to work 1.5 day's/week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Oh, no. That will never fly at The Locks of @ExiledInIllinois.  There is actually labor involved in scooping the carp into the boat and that's a deal breaker for his crew.

On a related note, Mrs. @ExiledInIllinois has found a cattle prod helpful in getting his lazy ass off to work 1.5 day's/week.

Two words: Button pusher.

He'd never think about shocking the fish and then selling them to reduce our national debt; it's much easier to open the gates wide, allow the invasion of a genetically modified creature, and then hold Congressional hearing to figure out how to control them.  In the words of Ronald Reagan "The scariest phrase ever spoken is "I'm with the government and I'm here to help"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Modern engineering   -  Use a BIG net and drag it behind a tug.  Bring it to shore and advertise FREE FISH FRESH out of the water 

• Like (+1) 1

Dude... Didn't even read it yet... But, I suspect this has been happening for 20 years.  Where have you been?

There is a stock photo on internet since 2009:

GSA_Asian-Carp01-720x420.jpg

It's 2019... 10 years later and you are coming to the realization, they shock fish. WTF... Nothing like getting with the program... Glad I am NOT in a jailhouse trying to call my attorney.  Put down the football-sized burrito and BigGulp® Dr.Pepper® and wake up, it's 2019 Rip Van Carpwinkle!

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Leave it to Roscoe and Cletus in Kentucky to solve the Asian carp influx. A little backwoods ingenuity addresses the problem created by @ExiledInIllinois and his 10 hours per week brethren. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/videos/us/2019/07/31/asian-carp-shock-electric-fishing-orig-cl.cnn

Can anybody say: Posting Malpractice!

Even a button pusher can recognize that!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dude... Didn't even read it yet... But, I suspect this has been happening for 20 years.  Where have you been?

There is a stock photo on internet since 2009:

GSA_Asian-Carp01-720x420.jpg

It's 2019... 10 years later and you are coming to the realization, they shock fish. WTF... Nothing like getting with the program... Glad I am NOT in a jailhouse trying to call my attorney.  Put down the football-sized burrito and BigGulp® Dr.Pepper®!

These Kentucky rednecks don't screw around like you fellas in the "Corps".  They don't buy government brand fish food and feed the little pests nor do they hand out coloring books entitled "Albert the Asian Carp Swims Upstream", and they certainly don't hand out baseball caps with an Asian Carp head on the front.  These good ole boys put their minds to work and eradicated thousands of "foreigners" while providing sustenance for those less fortunate.  I'd say they are teaching you a lesson but you're too bullheaded (see what I did there?) to take their advice.

Oh, I forgot. You and your PETA friends may protest this method as painful for the carp. I'd gladly contribute to their electric bill to clean out waters of these pesky animals which you have single-handedly allowed to pollute our inland waters.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

These Kentucky rednecks don't screw around like you fellas in the "Corps".  They don't buy government brand fish food and feed the little pests nor do they hand out coloring books entitled "Albert the Asian Carp Swims Upstream", and they certainly don't hand out baseball caps with an Asian Carp head on the front.  These good ole boys put their minds to work and eradicated thousands of "foreigners" while providing sustenance for those less fortunate.  I'd say they are teaching you a lesson but you're too bullheaded (see what I did there?) to take their advice.

Oh, I forgot. You and your PETA friends may protest this method as painful for the carp. I'd gladly contribute to their electric bill to clean out waters of these pesky animals which you have single-handedly allowed to pollute our inland waters.

That's why 10 years ago... The people in Kentucky proposed renaming Asian carp: "Kentucky Bluefin" so they can market it better for human consumption.

Where have you been the last decade?

This is new? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's why 10 years ago... The people in Kentucky proposed renaming Asian carp: "Kentucky Bluefin" so they can market it better for human consumption.

Where have you been the last decade?

This is new? 

No, the question is "Where have you been for the last 10 years?" Mr. "Come on in Carp...the water's great!!"

It's ok to admit the Kentuckians have the answer....as opposed to the USACOE

One fish kill took place in 2009:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121104335

They shock the good, "game" fish first, then relocate them.

Then in 2011, they did it again... That time taking out 100,000 pounds of fish with about 11,000 different pieces of fish from 30+ different species.  NOT ONE Asian carp was found.  2 miles were wiped out below the lock where I push buttons.

That's over a decade ago?  What did @BringBackFergy wake up from his decade long nap?

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

One fish kill took place in 2009:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121104335

They shock the good, "game" fish first, then relocate them.

Then in 2011, they did it again... That time taking out 100,000 pounds of fish with about 11,000 different pieces of fish from 30+ different species.  NOT ONE Asian carp was found.  2 miles were wiped out below the lock where I push buttons.

That's over a decade ago?  What did @BringBackFergy wake up from his decade long nap?

So why did this most recent "shock and awe" (shown above) yield thousands of pounds of Asian carp?? Maybe someone was asleep at the switch upstream to allow thousands and thousands of carp to enter Kentucky waters in the last 9 years??? Maybe...just maybe

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

No, the question is "Where have you been for the last 10 years?" Mr. "Come on in Carp...the water's great!!"

I've been thinking on this .. FAKE NEWS   Rednecks done use no stinking Eel-ectricity 

11033172_10152526992796599_5962141194889

And  I found out what @ExiledInIllinois does with his Free time 

https://www.pbs.org/video/redneck-fishing-flying-asian-carp-illinois-river-qt6u1a/

the 33 second mark 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

So why did this most recent "shock and awe" (shown above) yield thousands of pounds of Asian carp?? Maybe someone was asleep at the switch upstream to allow thousands and thousands of carp to enter Kentucky waters in the last 9 years??? Maybe...just maybe

Because our environment, water is getting cleaner and healthier every year?

Why aren't they taking off in Asia, rest of world?

USACE has been shocking for 10+ years.  They come in by the lock and launch.  I can show you the log book.  Hundreds of pages from the last 10 summers where they sign in... They shock and net.

Again... I am (seriously) confused... This ain't new with some hick from Kentucky thinking this up.  It's 2019. Where have you been?

I hope you don't pull this sh... In court!  LoL...

Yet... In 10+ years, they only found 2 Asian carp up by where I push buttons.  They found more alligators.  Go figure.

True.  I sh.... You not.

Throw $2 million of nitrogen in the water a year.  Create a stinking stagnant dead zone for 2 miles.  Just like the old polluted days, nothing will get through, they will stay in Kentucky.

The other $100s millions wasted on biologists, etc... Keeping "job security" will go back to taxpayers.

Boom!  Problem solved... But what do these science guys do, clean water freaks do... They make the water cleaner every year... Even add oxygen, waterfalls all along the canals to get the water clean.  Sure I add bubbles in winter to keep ice forming... But a nitrogen dead zone, kill zone, would create a barrier miles away...

Yet... We waste 100s of millions to pay some high-priced pencil pushing biologist... So they can pay off their degree.

Such a simple solution.  Why wasn't this a propblem years ago... Because the waters were too damn polluted.

@BringBackFergy is a bit skeptical.

How come invasive species weren't that much of a problem before 1972? We found a way around the sea lamprey.  They came from the Finger Lakes region, Atlantic.

Zebra mussel "invasion" dates back to one ballast transfer in Detroit area, 1987... We are dealing with that.

Why the problem now?

16 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Do the carp get health insurance and a driver’s license when the USACOE let them in?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.