Jump to content
PromoTheRobot

Carl Paladino: Put new stadium in Cobblestone district

Recommended Posts

On 8/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, May Day 10 said:

I dont care if its uber, lyft, horse and buggy, rickshaws, palanquins, or liberty cab.  The street pattern out of perry street/cobblestone is the same single lane gridlock going in 1 to 2 directions.  

 

I would bet a large majority of people who attend bills games live outside the city limits as well.  Unlike other cities.

 

I have been to plenty of venues across the country, and most of them are tucked into an interstate(s).  Drivers empty out right onto the highway and disappear. 

 

Its not that i am against a downtown stadium.  Ill probably be 50 by then and ready for a go out for a beer, then attrnd a game experience.  I just believe the cost and heavy lift of putting a stadium downtown is much more prohibitive than building one in orchard park by the existing one.

I agree.  Trying to get in and out of Sabres games is a mess.   I drive from near Lake Ontario and its a pain to get back on the thruway. 

 

Keep it in Orchard Park, for God's sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

true, but let’s look at the “out of” part of that equation.

 

On a typical downtown workday, you have people leaving work during a very spread-out time window (roughly 3:30 - 5:30 PM), from several different lots and parking garages within the area bounded by Oak (east), Lower Terrace (west), Goodell (north), and Exchange (south)

 

With a football game, the vast majority of those people will all be trying to leave at the same time, AND they’ll be leaving the exact same location.  i.e., shitshow with the current infrastructure.  the 

 

EDITED TO ADD: okay, mostly the same location.  Sure there will be some people who park over a mile away and walk, but...

 

 

I would agree it would be bad if everyone parked there and tried to leave at the same time, but look at other stadiums downtown- Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, etc.  they have parking for about 8-10,000 cars around the stadium at most. For example: You have to use the light rail in Baltimore that drops you off right at the stadium.  

 

Buffalo already has the free light rail metro service that deliver people from other areas down to the Harbor.  Not to mention the fact that some of the concerts down town have attracted 40,000+ just to canal side - so the volume of people can be handled.

 

The experience will be vastly different from the OP experience and the first couple of preseason/regular season games will be a nightmare- just as it is in OP when they changed the traffic patterns a couple of years ago and no one knew where they were going.  Then everyone settled into a pattern and people meet up and it becomes a new normal.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they can find a way to squeeze a stadium into the cobblestone lots and the HSBC atrium site, having the Indian casino where it is currently located, could provide a formidable challenge trying to fit a new stadium into Pegulaville.

 

Also, in terms of the Perry projects, the "newer" occupied towers are closer to the casino, and the abandoned low rise building are further away from the Cobblestone area...located between Louisiana and Hamburg Sts.  Probably the best bet would be to move all of this subsidized housing somewhere in the East Side, where you have blocks and blocks of streets that for the most part are vacant lots....and use the space for parking.

 

I'm not good at overlaying in GoogleMaps, but I'd like to know if the Colts dome, could fit in the area(cobblestone lots and HSBC atrium) I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Unless they can find a way to squeeze a stadium into the cobblestone lots and the HSBC atrium site, having the Indian casino where it is currently located, could provide a formidable challenge trying to fit a new stadium into Pegulaville.

 

Also, in terms of the Perry projects, the "newer" occupied towers are closer to the casino, and the abandoned low rise building are further away from the Cobblestone area...located between Louisiana and Hamburg Sts.  Probably the best bet would be to move all of this subsidized housing somewhere in the East Side, where you have blocks and blocks of streets that for the most part are vacant lots....and use the space for parking.

 

I'm not good at overlaying in GoogleMaps, but I'd like to know if the Colts dome, could fit in the area(cobblestone lots and HSBC atrium) I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

 

Google the following:   19ideas.com/stadium/

The link is acting a little squirrely to post.

EDIT:  The link is OK now.

 

This site was from the old board and you can use it to put the stadium anywhere in western new york.

Once you double click and get the stadium to drag around maximize the window.

It's pretty fun to check out places.

Edited by ColoradoBills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Google the following:   19ideas.com/stadium/

The link is acting a little squirrely to post.

EDIT:  The link is OK now.

 

This site was from the old board and you can use it to put the stadium anywhere in western new york.

Once you double click and get the stadium to drag around maximize the window.

It's pretty fun to check out places.

 

Didn't find a place to put the stadium but found Penn Dixie Fossil Park & Nature Reserve where I used to go when I was a kid.  I lived in Steelton.  Some scientists came one day looking for fossils and I showed them area where trilobite fossils were predominant. Pulled one from my stash and they said it was the largest of that species they have seen and asked if museum could have it. I said fine.  They took a look at it closely and told me I did a tremendous job excavating it and I explained my method and they told me "Very scientific.  You have potential to be a paleontologist."   Saw them a couple of weeks later and asked when it would be in museum and they told me they used it for barter to another museum for another item they did not have.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Google the following:   19ideas.com/stadium/

The link is acting a little squirrely to post.

EDIT:  The link is OK now.

 

This site was from the old board and you can use it to put the stadium anywhere in western new york.

Once you double click and get the stadium to drag around maximize the window.

It's pretty fun to check out places.

Thx!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree.  Trying to get in and out of Sabres games is a mess.   I drive from near Lake Ontario and its a pain to get back on the thruway. 

 

Keep it in Orchard Park, for God's sake.

I have never had an issue getting in or out for Sabres games and I live in Niagara Canada. I usually park at the parking garage across from the thru-way and walk. After games I go grab a drink waiting for traffic to clear. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALF said:

 

I believe that project is almost entirely financed with private money, aside from a new train station ($105 million, of which the developer is reimbursing the state for $97 million over 40 years)....

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

 

You do realize there are cities with metro populations in the millions, several times larger than Buffalo, by a lakes, oceans and rivers, with multiple downtown arenas and stadiums, that somehow manage the traffic? You have yet to give a reasoned explanation why Buffalo would be paralyzed by a downtown stadium, and these other cities aren't?

Look at San Diego, Petco park is very close to the ocean. The convention center next to Petco is on the ocean. See comic con at the convention center. Somehow SD handles the traffic. Trolleys and trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  was wishing for state help for a new or remodel of New Era. It would be nice if outside help for Terry and Kim for new stadium or remodel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the Pegulas buy the old Fort Erie Race Track and put the new stadium there.

 

Problem solved.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Unless they can find a way to squeeze a stadium into the cobblestone lots and the HSBC atrium site, having the Indian casino where it is currently located, could provide a formidable challenge trying to fit a new stadium into Pegulaville.

 

Also, in terms of the Perry projects, the "newer" occupied towers are closer to the casino, and the abandoned low rise building are further away from the Cobblestone area...located between Louisiana and Hamburg Sts.  Probably the best bet would be to move all of this subsidized housing somewhere in the East Side, where you have blocks and blocks of streets that for the most part are vacant lots....and use the space for parking.

 

I'm not good at overlaying in GoogleMaps, but I'd like to know if the Colts dome, could fit in the area(cobblestone lots and HSBC atrium) I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Why have the "subsidized housing" on the East Side??? Maybe renovate some of the abandoned buildings around the city (east, west, north, south) and turn them all into some type of subsidized housing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

Have the Pegulas buy the old Fort Erie Race Track and put the new stadium there.

 

Problem solved.

 

For Canadians. All US fans have to cross the border at the Peace Bridge, whose CBP staffs have all been reassigned to the Mexican border.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the present location , remodel  or indoor. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 7:13 AM, Rochesterfan said:

If they extend the “subway” and the rail line - you could funnel the people in and out and maintain space for 20,000 people parking around the stadium.  Plus with the hotels, food, bars, and casino - there are things to do after the game to enjoy the area. 

 

I've never been a regular attendee of NFL games, but when I have gone, I get there HOURS early to tailgate, then spend 3-4 hours inside the stadium for the game, then head back out to the lot and tailgate and/or let traffic thin out for a while, then after all that, I'm ready to head home and relax, and prep for work the next day.

 

So my question is: how many people are looking to "do things" after the game?! For me, that would extend it from an 8-hour day to a 9-12 hour day, on a Sunday night.....No thanks. Lol

Edited by John in Jax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was amazed in London. They were able to empty Wembley Stadium in a just few minutes, all via mass transit (The Tube).  They line up the trains after a big event and away everyone goes.  Super organized!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the skycap said:

Why have the "subsidized housing" on the East Side??? Maybe renovate some of the abandoned buildings around the city (east, west, north, south) and turn them all into some type of subsidized housing.

Just a suggestion because of the vacant lots.       Point being there are options if they need to use the current space around Perry St for either the stadium or parking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

 

I've never been a regular attendee of NFL games, but when I have gone, I get there HOURS early to tailgate, then spend 3-4 hours inside the stadium for the game, then head back out to the lot and tailgate and/or let traffic thin out for a while, then after all that, I'm ready to head home and relax, and prep for work the next day.

 

So my question is: how many people are looking to "do things" after the game?! For me, that would extend it from an 8-hour day to a 9-12 hour day, on a Sunday night.....No thanks. Lol

 

 

If you go to many other stadiums - tailgating is very limited. 

 

If they build the stadium downtown - your couple of hours before and after - will be spent differently.  If they build tailgating lots a bit away from the stadium - then you can do the exact same thing there as in OP.  

 

Many others will come in and find a place to park near bars and restaurants- some will eat and drink before hand - some will meet up with their friends.  You watch the game and you can hit up some bars afterwards to eat/drink and watch more games or you can leave.

 

The experience will change some, but you still control what you want to do.  You can keep it at 8 hours, you can shorten it to 5 or 6 hours, you can extend it until after 2am if you want.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Islanders (ice hockey) are getting a new expensive arena.

Thanks,Albany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Looks like the Islanders (ice hockey) are getting a new expensive arena.

Thanks,Albany.

 

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Looks like the Islanders (ice hockey) are getting a new expensive arena.

Thanks,Albany.

Privately funded...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

If you go to many other stadiums - tailgating is very limited. 

Just curious as I left town in the late 70s, but isn't tailgating an integral part of being a Bills fan....of the Buffalo fan experience? And won't they lose a LOT of fans if they take that away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, Rochesterfan said:

 

 

I would agree it would be bad if everyone parked there and tried to leave at the same time, but look at other stadiums downtown- Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, etc.  they have parking for about 8-10,000 cars around the stadium at most. For example: You have to use the light rail in Baltimore that drops you off right at the stadium.  

 

Buffalo already has the free light rail metro service that deliver people from other areas down to the Harbor.  Not to mention the fact that some of the concerts down town have attracted 40,000+ just to canal side - so the volume of people can be handled.

 

The experience will be vastly different from the OP experience and the first couple of preseason/regular season games will be a nightmare- just as it is in OP when they changed the traffic patterns a couple of years ago and no one knew where they were going.  Then everyone settled into a pattern and people meet up and it becomes a new normal.

 

 

 

 

Buffalo light rail 6 miles Baltimore 21 miles Big difference. 40,000 for concerts at canalside??? I doubt that highly. Guns and Roses was in the 30,000s at NEF. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a random question, is Buffalo still losing people year over year, or has it stabled out/started gaining people again?

I know the business landscape has changed quite a bit, but last time I was there it seemed like a lot was needed in infrastructure & renovations. Never lived there, but I love the place so much & am always fascinated reading about the area.

A new stadium would go a long way in securing the team, but I know it's not so simple. I only wish we had done it sooner, as other rust belt/midwest teams managed to find a way & not break the bank. It's only getting more & more expensive as time goes on, so hopefully a solution is in sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hammered a Lot said:

Buffalo light rail 6 miles Baltimore 21 miles Big difference. 40,000 for concerts at canalside??? I doubt that highly. Guns and Roses was in the 30,000s at NEF. 

 

 

From a 2016 AP article about regrowth downtown in Buffalo with Canalside.

https://www.apnews.com/411cf9338ef74df8b77279ef6899ae42

 

“BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Buffalo’s blossoming Lake Erie waterfront district saw a surge in tourist visits over the summer.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office says Canalside crowds topped 1.5 million people, up from 1 million a year ago.

Planners have added more food venues and scheduled more concerts, cultural events and other draws to an area that until recently offered little to visitors.

The Thursday night concert series drew 133,000 people, with artist T-Pain seeing the biggest crowd of 40,000.

 

This was from 2016 - and the number of visitors have continued to grow.

 

That is also a Thursday night and people start arriving downtown before people start leaving work - so it handled the initial incoming traffic and outgoing work bound traffic.

 

The 6 miles of light rail is enough to spread out the parking across the city.  I also believe they would need to utilize the Amtrak line that runs North and South, but does have a downtown drop-off already right near the 190 and Michigan just east of the area.  That would allow the creation of some larger “Tailgating” lots in the more spread out Southtowns if they want that.

 

The concerts routinely draw 25,000 people and those are just the people at the concert - there are hoards of other people in the area that are not counted within the concert goers.  I believe they routinely handle 30-40,000 people on the concert nights - it is again a spread out leaving time, but the number of people is not going to be the issue. It is going to be traffic flow and timing on the routes that will need work.  The logistics will be a bear to work out.

Edited by Rochesterfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...