Carl Paladino: Put new stadium in Cobblestone district

22 hours ago, stuvian said:

Name one good downtown tailgate in the NFL?  BTW do you work for Roger Goodell ? 

Denver is kind of on the edge of downtown but had a great tailgating set up with large screens, cook offs, and a bar serving $2 beers once you drink all of yours. It was walkable to their light rail with vendors, artists, and musicians lining a winding walkway. Then there was still tons of surface parking, which could be the case in downtown Buffalo as well.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually Gillette and Patriot Place are in suburban nowhere. Miles from Boston or Providence. Also, you want to talk access? Rt.1 north or south are the only way in or out. It's a zoo post game.

They aren't in the middle of no-where at all.  For people in the Metro Boston area who often commute 60+ minutes just to get to work, the trip to Foxboro is really nothing.

This isn’t complicated. If you want lots of tailgating you need lots of parking lots, and therefore a suburban location is the ideal site. If you want to enliven downtown you build it downtown. If you want to do both you need a parcel on the edge of downtown with tailgating on one side and downtown bars on the other side of the stadium. Is there such a location in Buffalo?

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

They aren't in the middle of no-where at all.  For people in the Metro Boston area who often commute 60+ minutes just to get to work, the trip to Foxboro is really nothing.

You're kind of proving my point. It's a long drive for most fans because Gillette is in the DMZ between Boston and Providence. Not close to anything but those suburbs. And if you want to have some fun at Patriot Place on non-game days , it's still a haul. They've had clubs close there already like Toby Keith's I Love This Place.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Went to Lincoln Financial in PHL for Rolling Stones concert a few weeks ago. Seemed to be a good amount of parking lots there. 

Not really downtown. Plus that end of town, by the boat yards, is the traditional location for every Phiily arena and stadium. Veterans was there. JFK was there. Also the Spectrum.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This isn’t complicated. If you want lots of tailgating you need lots of parking lots, and therefore a suburban location is the ideal site. If you want to enliven downtown you build it downtown. If you want to do both you need a parcel on the edge of downtown with tailgating on one side and downtown bars on the other side of the stadium. Is there such a location in Buffalo?

Ganson St. in SIlo City?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're kind of proving my point. It's a long drive for most fans because Gillette is in the DMZ between Boston and Providence. Not close to anything but those suburbs. And if you want to have some fun at Patriot Place on non-game days , it's still a haul. They've had clubs close there already like Toby Keith's I Love This Place.

Not really downtown. Plus that end of town, by the boat yards, is the traditional location for every Phiily arena and stadium. Veterans was there. JFK was there. Also the Spectrum.

Ganson St. in SIlo City?

Agreed. Things south of South Street are heavily residential which puts the sports complex area in a zone of it's own. 

And I'll tell people, even in an area that mostly does it right there are still issues. When the Eagles played Sunday Night Football to open the season traffic started getting backed up at 4 PM. There has been standstill traffic on the bridges for Phillies games.

And that's with a subway line that runs to the stadiums from a central public transit hub. (FYI if you are in the city for a game that's what I recommend)

My only thing to add is that it would be possible to make money tailgating of they chose to monetize it. 

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually, i see no idea how I"m proving your point. It isn't a haul at all out there.  I lived in that exact area for a while, and my office is still about 10 minutes from the Stadium.  There are a LOT more poeple and a lot more money in that area and they have the ability to frequent it more often than anywhere in Buffalo.  As I said in my previous post...I admitted that it isn't busy all the time...but the demographics of that area are MUCH better than anywhere in WNY...and that is why it can exist in Boston.

57 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Actually, i see no idea how I"m proving your point. It isn't a haul at all out there.  I lived in that exact area for a while, and my office is still about 10 minutes from the Stadium.  There are a LOT more poeple and a lot more money in that area and they have the ability to frequent it more often than anywhere in Buffalo.  As I said in my previous post...I admitted that it isn't busy all the time...but the demographics of that area are MUCH better than anywhere in WNY...and that is why it can exist in Boston.

That's my point. It's drawing mostly from the Foxboro area. I'll bet people from Boston or Providence or areas north or south of those towns don't go because it's too far.

You are correct in that a Patriot Place in Orchard Park would be pointless since few people live there. The whole idea of a downtown stadium is making a "Pegula Place" central to where the people live.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 8/10/2019 at 7:44 AM, Jrb1979 said:

They want to limit tailgating, in hopes of limiting the obnoxious drunks that go to the games. The Bills may lose a lot of tailgating fanbase but will gain a bunch of fans that want a more family friendly environment. 

Careful with your words. Some drunk 20 something might throw you through a flaming table. 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Plus they want to funnel some of those fans to bars and restaurants inside the stadium or around town that the Pegulas might own or have a cut of.  You don't make money off tailgating. 

Exactly this. The Pegulas are building an empire downtown. They want to capitalize on all of it on game days. 

On 8/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, stuvian said:

We have the best tailgate in the entire league because we are not downtown in a major city. There are no good downtown NFL tailgates. If it moves downtown we lose what we enjoy today. Long live Orchard Park 

Who cares 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, stuvian said:

We have the best tailgate in the entire league because we are not downtown in a major city. There are no good downtown NFL tailgates. If it moves downtown we lose what we enjoy today. Long live Orchard Park 

If you had to choose, would you rather have a winning franchise or a place to tailgate? Sometimes I get the impression that eating & drinking in a parking lot is more important.

Edited by MAGA-Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAGA-Man said:

If you had to choose, would you rather have a winning franchise or a place to tailgate? Sometimes I get the impression that eating & drinking in a parking lo is more important.

It does seem to many that hanging out in the parking lot pregame is the game. 

It seems like a big reason people don't a new stadium downtown cause they are afraid of higher ticket prices. At some point Bills tickets are going to have to be more in line with the league average. A new stadium will probably have tickets close to an average of $150. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It does seem to many that hanging out in the parking lot pregame is the game. 

It seems like a big reason people don't a new stadium downtown cause they are afraid of higher ticket prices. At some point Bills tickets are going to have to be more in line with the league average. A new stadium will probably have tickets close to an average of $150. 

And that's the line the Pegulas are walking. Bumping up revenue but still keeping it to what Buffalo can support.  Never forget that they want the team here. The rest of the NFL? Not so sure.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 2 weeks later...

I saw there was a front-page article in the Buffalo News yesterday about how the prices for property in the Cobblestone District have been skyrocketing recently, tied to the speculation that it’s where a new stadium will eventually go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:30 PM, RiotAct said:

I saw there was a front-page article in the Buffalo News yesterday about how the prices for property in the Cobblestone District have been skyrocketing recently, tied to the speculation that it’s where a new stadium will eventually go.

It’s been the only option since day one. I had a moderately high-ranking politician tell me that five years ago.

Things can change but I think anybody who completely denies that possibility is ignoring a lot of arrows pointing that way.

Edited by eanyills